[AppleTV] HOW-TO get a Sitecom 802.11n external USB WiFi adapter to work on a AppleTV
I went around a couple of the local IT shops and noted down model numbers for the adapters available, and then did some Googling to find out the chipsets used so I could have a look for OSX and Linux drivers. Realtek chipsets seem to be widely used (the list of USB vendor names and usb device codes in the OSX driver runs to 3-4 on-screen pages and it's probably only half of them) and Realtek allow you to download original drivers from their website, including source for the Linux driver which is always a good sign. It's worth noting that Sitecom themselves don't provide an OSX 10.4.x Intel or Linux driver for this card (and the W352), they only provide the 10.5+ Mac and WinXP/Vista/7 drivers, which is common among smaller manufacturers. Having done a fair bit of Google trawling it looks like Railink chipset WLAN products are have a similar approach to the Realtek ones; the drivers create an Ethernet-like NIC in the OS and use their own wireless configuration utility to set-up the card, and Railink post OSX, Linux and Wintel drivers to their website that you can use, so I would expect the same process I used to be possible with their kit as well.

Do your homework on what's available, and check out the store's returns policy Smile
yes, Sir! Smile
One more question.
Is it possible to put this kext :
Quote:edit /etc/rc.local to include a new line that loads the RTL8192SUt.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext file on future reboots. nitoTV will have set Turbo's kextloader as the first line in the file. I've appended the RTL kext to the end of the file and placed the IONetworking kext after other IOXxxxx kexts mid-way in the load list.
in a sartup item instead in rc.local.

I have to load tvcomposite.kext and rc.local break the opening of the startup item
nerve Wrote:One more question. Is it possible to put this kext : in a sartup item instead in rc.local. I have to load tvcomposite.kext and rc.local break the opening of the startup item

Sorry, I don't quite follow what you mean?

NB: Si vous répondre avec les mots simple en Français je te comprenez

Christian
My English is so awful ? Smile)

ok I've this rc.local :
Code:
/sbin/turbo_kext_enabler.bin
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/cddafs.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/udf.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext

and this startup item to load the tvcomposite.kext :
Code:
ATV_Colour\StartupParameters.plist

{
Description = "Load Composite Kext";
Provides = ("Composite");
OrderPreference = "First";
}
and the script atv_colour :
Code:
#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.common
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/TVComposite.kext
In this case it doesn't work, the TVComposite.kext isn't load.

The solution I've found is dirty but work, i rename my rc.local in rc.load an change the script atv_colour like that :
Code:
#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.common
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/TVComposite.kext
sh /etc/rc.load
So tvcomposite.kext is load then rc.load

My question is have you a better an more sexy solution ?
nerve Wrote:My question is have you a better an more sexy solution ?

It's still not clear to me how or why this question is relevant to a thread on enabling USB WLAN cards for Crystal HD users? ..but is there a reason why you're not loading composite.kext in rc.local like other kexts (that's what rc.local is for)
chewitt Wrote:It's still not clear to me how or why this question is relevant to a thread on enabling USB WLAN cards for Crystal HD users? ..but is there a reason why you're not loading composite.kext in rc.local like other kexts (that's what rc.local is for)
I can't load composite.kext because it's break in atv os 3 the unique solution is startupitem.
This question is relevant in this thread for me because I need both composite, usb wlan and crystal.
For composite and Crystal no prob there is startup item, that's why I would creat Startup for the kext needed by the wlan.

My solution works, it's crappy but it work.
If you know how to create startup item it would be more clean for me that's all.
Many thanck's for your reply.

And sorry for my accent Smile
nerve Wrote:If you know how to create startup item it would be more clean for me that's all.

I don't have time to do any experimenting myself at the moment, and I'm no expert on how the aTV OS works, but if StartupItems are another way of launching .kexts I guess you should be able to create one for the WLAN drivers. The instructions on Apple's website seem to map to what you're doing for the composite kext:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#...Items.html
Ok, I will try and post the result when it will be done
One more question.
I've made that :
Quote:Navigate back to the main System Preferences menu. Now go to Accounts > Select 'frontrow' > Login Items. Create a new login item for "Wireless Network Utility.app" in /Users/frontrow/Applications/ and tick the box to 'hide' the application. This ensures the wireless utility is run on startup - if it is not run on startup, the wireless card does not join the network and the wireless interface is not "up" and nothing works. Once done, quit System Preferences. If it doesn't quit (possibly) use the remote to get back.
And every reboot I loose this confguration.

I put Wireless Network Utility.app in /Users/frontrow/Applications/
Huh
nerve Wrote:One more question.
And every reboot I loose this confguration. I put Wireless Network Utility.app in /Users/frontrow/Applications/ Huh

do you mean the wireless network config is lost, or the app isn't run on reboot?

If the config is lost, navigate to /Users/frontrow/Applications/Wireless Network Utility.app/ and then check the contents of RtlProfilesList.plist - I don't know the format of the file but you should be able to see content for your WLAN in there, e.g. SSID. If you cannot see your SSID, what are the permissions on the files?

If the .app is not being run on reboot, is anything logged?
the .app is not being run on reboot, and disappears from the login item
It work's !

I rename
Wireless Network Utility.app in WirelessNetworkUtility.app

I put this line in the end of /etc/rc.local :
Code:
open /Users/frontrow/Applications/WirelessNetworkUtility.app

And it works now without trouble !

Many thanks for your hack and your help Chewitt !
as a boot-note to this HOWTO, i've been working with the lead developer for the OpenELEC project and support for Realtek 8172/8188/8192SU chipset USB WLAN cards should be included in their next release candidate (RC2). If you've not experimented with OpenELEC as an alternative AppleTV OS ..you should!

http://openelec.tv <= click me Smile
I lookoing for this solution but no composite in openelec so there isn't a solution for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] HOW-TO get a Sitecom 802.11n external USB WiFi adapter to work on a AppleTV3