XBMC always buffering - other players can stream fine
Hi all,

I've set up XBMC to stream movies from my other PC, running windows 7. The problem is that it is constantly buffering even though my network connection is fine (or at least appears fine to me). I can play the same files with MPC with no problems and I get 8 - 10 MB/s copying files over the network.

Both the PC with XBMC and the file server are running Windows 7.

XBMC machine:

XBMC Dharma 10.0
Dual Core 3 GHz Intel with 3 Gb RAM
Asus GeForce EN210 - Driver: 8.17.11.9745
M-Audio Delta Audiophile - Driver: 5.10.0.5074

http://pastebin.com/RseCE6Fh

I've tried just about anything I could think of, so I'd be very grateful if someone could please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
I just downloaded and configured XBMC (Dharma) 10.0 on my new Core i7 950 w/ 12 GB RAM running Windows Professional 7 64-bit. I have 2 Radeon HD 5770 running in CrossFireX configuration. All drivers updated to latest as of 1/9/2011.

I can write to my NAS at 25GBps and movies play fine from my SageTV systems, NetGear EVA8000, etc.

When I play a movie in XBMC from my network drive, it stutters and becomes unresponsive. It takes forever to start and then if I move my mouse in the window it really gets whacky. I have to force it closed.

I didn't have this problem when running version XBMC 9.x on previous systems.
Upon further investigation it appears that MPC and Windows Media Player are the only two player that do not constantly stutter/buffer.

VLC, KMPlayer and Power DVD all have the same issue as XBMC.

MPC and WMP both load ffdshow and Hali Media Splitter, whereas the others do not, if that helps.
I am running two system. XBMC on windows and XBMC for Linux. I have the same issue described by h8buffers on my Linux box. The windows system is fine.

What are you using to find the read/write speeds?
If you copy a big file over your network, the copy dialog will display the speed as well.

In the end, I've bought a new motherboard (for the NAS) since posting this topic and it fixed the problem. I couldn't find what was causing it, but it must have been some setting on the NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC always buffering - other players can stream fine0