i3 540 or wait for the sandy bridge 35w
Hi,

I've been meaning to get around to building a htpc, and the time has finally come. Have a few hardware questions:

1)a) Is it worth waiting for the sandy bridge 35w processors? probably not, but i was thinking i could build a htpc around the i3 540 and then in the future when i build an unraid box i could always use the i3 and get a new cpu/mobo for the htpc.

b) If i decide to reuse the i3 in an unraid box, is it better to buy an asus motherboard (as i've heard there is issues with gigabyte and unraid)

2) This system will also have a gt430, any brand recommendations of a low profile graphics card?

3) I only have laptops around the house, so if i plug this system straight into my panasonic g20 (via hdmi, or vga) will it work when i'm setting the pc up?

4) PSU recommendations, i'm thinking of going with antec 380w or should i spend a bit more and get a modular one?

thanks in advance!
Mavers Wrote:1)a) Is it worth waiting for the sandy bridge 35w processors? probably not, but i was thinking i could build a htpc around the i3 540 and then in the future when i build an unraid box i could always use the i3 and get a new cpu/mobo for the htpc.

An i3 is a perfect HTPC CPU. Don't need more power, and its already very low heat. It is 775 stuff that is now not worth money.

Quote:b) If i decide to reuse the i3 in an unraid box, is it better to buy an asus motherboard (as i've heard there is issues with gigabyte and unraid)

Asus or Biostar. No Gigabyte unfortunately, even though both my Unraid servers use Gigabyte (older mobos).

Quote:2) This system will also have a gt430, any brand recommendations of a low profile graphics card?

I like how this one comes with a low profile bracket and just one fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Quote:3) I only have laptops around the house, so if i plug this system straight into my panasonic g20 (via hdmi, or vga) will it work when i'm setting the pc up?

Preferably HDMI, and then be sure to use 1:1 pixel mode.

Quote:4) PSU recommendations, i'm thinking of going with antec 380w or should i spend a bit more and get a modular one?

I love my Antec 380w Earthwatts PSU if that is what you are talking about.

BUT if you DO want the ability to maybe use it in a mediaserver then instead look towards a Antec Neo PSU for its singlerailness:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...o+&x=0&y=0

I have the 400W (which would be perfect) and the 620w models. Both kick ass. For a little more money you can get a Corsair modular model with one rail too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139012

But they are ALL wattage overkill unfortunately (which means waste).

Thanks for the response Poofy.

I havent quite decided that when i build an unraid box whether to take the components from this build or not. On one hand the unraid box is going to be on most of the time, so it should have the most efficient cpu.

As i'm in the UK, the sparkle gt 430 is not that easy to get hold of.
looking at the ebuyer website http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/c...DIA-GT-430
there is a Zotac or Asus model (other retailers offer gigabyte or point of view).

With an i3, gt430, ssd hd and 4gb ram could i get away with a pico psu? If so what watt pico would i need? 120w/150w/160w

Additionally there might be an additional 2tb hard disk until i build the unraid box.

Finally, how many hard drives could i get away with a antec 380 earthwatts psu?

Thanks again!
I decided to go with
i3 540,
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H H55,
4GB (2Gb x2) corsair xms3
gd05 silverstone case
60gb ocz ssd
2tb wd hd
330w seasonic psu

I'm planning to install win 7 (and hopefully dual boot with ubuntu). As its been a while since i built a pc, is there anything i should do during the installation of win7? i've been told:

1) check ahci mode is on
2) disable superfetch
3) turn off drive indexing.

any more tips? or any tweaks for xbmc installation?

thanks
What GT430 did you decide to get?

(Everything else looks great)

zotac low profile.
(was only an extra tenner compared to asus/gigabyte)

will post pictures when i have it up and running!
Out of curiosity, how much did that all set you back? Newegg? I was looking at making a very similar build, and am trying to decide between moving forward or waiting for some of the new chips to come out during Q1.
I'm in the UK and it approximately was £600 (hard drives alone were £170)
Mavers Wrote:I'm in the UK and it approximately was £600 (hard drives alone were £170)

That's not too bad. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3 540 or wait for the sandy bridge 35w0