GForce 7025 for SD Content
Hello
VDPAU is supported only on newer graphic cards and it's mainly for HD content. Hovewer on windows even GF6xxx has some kind of acceleration when playing mpeg2 and HD too. I know HD will not be accelerated, but what about SD? will GF7025 (integrated graphics card) will accelerate mpeg2 decoding? Is VDPAU for all acceleration kinds, or mainly for HD?
Nvidia 6xxx and 7xxx series DOES have MPEG2 decoding help, but that support is largely irrelevant and often is depreciated.

MPEG2 doesn't take a lot of CPU power to decode. Whatever CPU you have on that board does the job. Seriously, MPEG2 is ONLY really ripped DVDs and a Pentium 3 800mhz machine can play those fine.

x264 DOES take massive CPU power to decode, and you need Nvidia 8xxx to have that (via VDPAU).

I use xbmc to play DVB-S stream which is mpeg2, so mpeg2 isn't "only ripped DVDs" . It takes about 50% of Ahtlon x2 BE-2350. It's on GF 6100 with nvidia drivers. So I suspect decoding power of graphic card isn't used. But i'm not sure - how to check it?
Marx1 Wrote:So I suspect decoding power of graphic card isn't used. But i'm not sure - how to check it?

I looked into it more and I can confirm that XBMC doesn't use the XvMC acceleration offered by that GPU. Here is the feature request that never got answered:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31350

If you upgraded the GPU VDPAU has acceleration built in for MPEG2. That reason is why support for older GPUs doesn't exist.

xvmc - it's keyword i've needed Smile
ok, i know i will not use it in xbmc, but I will try to use it with vdr-sxfe, so thank you!

And one last word - the cheapest accelerations of mpeg2 stream with xbmc seems to be ... ati card Smile It's because even old cheap hd2400 has vaapi support. But there is last hope - there is possibility to use vaapi on nvidia cards too. I need to read more about it.
Edit: VAAPI on nvidia needs VDPAU working so...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GForce 7025 for SD Content0