Built new Win7 for dedicated XBMC Need Advice
Hi folks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything out here. I have a fresh copy of Win7 64bit Ultimate installed on a dedicated system. I applied the latest updates, made sure all the drivers were up to date, etc. Installed Virus protection.

Is there anything you can think of that would further improve things with my XBMC experience?

Turn off AERO??

The dedicated system is an Intel Core i5 Laptop with 4gigs of ram. With it being a laptop should I tweak the power settings? It think it defaults to "Balanced".

Also are there any settings I should go with in the configuration of XBMC such as vertical sync, display rate, refresh rate, etc?

I also don't see where you turn on/off hardware video acceleration..

Thank you!
If its really dedicated for XBMC uninstall Windows Media Center.

poofyhairguy Wrote:If its really dedicated for XBMC uninstall Windows Media Center.

Okay. Does WMC conflict somehow with it being installed?
No, but then it makes the remote operation smoother because WMC never pops up.

With respect to remote settings, this is not true! If you setup your remote properly and specially if you have an RC6 set then this will not be a problem at all you can keep WMC in there and you can configure all your buttons to do an action then WMC will never be activated :-)

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:With respect to remote settings, this is not true! If you setup your remote properly and specially if you have an RC6 set then this will not be a problem at all you can keep WMC in there and you can configure all your buttons to do an action then MCE will never be activated :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Agreed, but if you aren't going to use WMC why take up the space? OP was asking how to slim down Windows, I just suggested the step I personally take. If you remove WMC you can just ride the defaults for the MCE pluggin with no modification.

Yes that's not a problem, I just wanted to clear the facts for him :-)

I would advice though to remove your antivirus software "that's if you are able to do" :-) and install "Microsoft Security Essentials" without it you will be filling your windows with stuff you do not really want. MSE is the best you can have for your system unlike other antivirus software which can bring your PC to halt, trust me i tried them all "been there done that". I just put microsoft security essentials in all my new systems now with no issues at all.

Cheers,
EG.
Thanks guys!. Especially the MSoft Security Essentials. I will remove antivirus and install that MSE pronto. I certainly don't want the system to start crawling during a 1080p movie being played.
dysan911 Wrote:I also don't see where you turn on/off hardware video acceleration..

System settings, Video, Playback

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:System settings, Video, Playback

JR

Got it. THanks!. Would it be recommended to leave all settings to default?

Adjust display refresh rate to match video?
Sync playback to display

Thanks again!
Remove; Indexing, Aero, MediaCenter, Iexplorer and keep background resources at a minimum, like antivirus, speedfan, torrent client etc. If your videocard has dedicated memory, 1GB should be enough

I have mine at 1080@24hz and does not use sync playback or adjust framerate within XBMC. 95% of my content is 24hz, and the few 25hz sources I´ve got works just fine, mostly animations. I have no judder- or sync issues, and the XBMC interface is smooth.
Torroa Wrote:Remove; Indexing, Aero, MediaCenter, Iexplorer and keep background resources at a minimum, like antivirus, speedfan, torrent client etc. If your videocard has dedicated memory, 1GB should be enough

I have mine at 1080@24hz and does not use sync playback or adjust framerate within XBMC. 95% of my content is 24hz, and the few 25hz sources I´ve got works just fine, mostly animations. I have no judder- or sync issues, and the XBMC interface is smooth.

Okay so I turned off Indexing. I removed Virus Protection and replaced it with the Microsoft Security Essentials. The only scheduled scans would take place at 2am. Aero turned off and using Basic. Really remove IExplorer?? Does the IE Browser use any resources?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Built new Win7 for dedicated XBMC Need Advice0