Dedicated Media Server/NAS - build or buy?
Hi Guys,
I am a noob here in the XBMC forums. Been trolling for a couple weeks now and searching through to formulate a good structure for an XBMC implementation...

I am interested in buying a Revo, Zotac, or something of the like... I know there are a lot of variables in these machines but I know that I want at least 2GB of RAM, dual core processor, and to possibly install an SSD / or run XBMC off a thumbdrive with XBMC live.

I also want to set up a NAS that will meet the following requirements:
4-6 drives, probably of different capacities (currently I have 2 1.5TBs - will probably add 2TB drives incrementally)
RUN Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, torrent client

How can I achieve the NAS best? Build it? Buy it? Qnap? Buffalo? Unraid? Freeraid?
Some guidance is much appreciated.
jdwoods Wrote:I also want to set up a NAS that will meet the following requirements:
4-6 drives, probably of different capacities (currently I have 2 1.5TBs - will probably add 2TB drives incrementally)
RUN Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, torrent client

Based on your two stated needs:

1. Ability to mix and match drive sizes (1.5tb drives and 2tb drives) incrementally

AND

2. Run sab, sick, torrent

=

You are a perfect Unraid/Flexraid target user. They are the only systems I know that will give you both.

poofyhairguy Wrote:You are a perfect Unraid/Flexraid target user. They are the only systems I know that will give you both.

Thanks Poofy. That's what I've been reading.
Now - how to get there? What is the most economical way of getting an unraid/flexraid box? I'd prefer not to buy a box from LimeTech as they seem kind of expensive. Is it possible to build a good quality box for around 350? without the drives, of course...
jdwoods Wrote:Is it possible to build a good quality box for around 350? without the drives, of course...

Yes, that is doable:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/inde...Budget_Box

Use that as a blueprint, except bump the CPU a little bit for the other programs (like a basic dual core is fine).

I researched lime tech for a long time but ended buying HPMEDIASMART EX495 - Very happy with it and speeds are very good over the wireless N. Can mix and match drives.

The setup I have is a 6 TB and to backup another dedicated box with eSata connection.

The advantage of the stand alone eSata box is that it is NTFS - You can remove the drive and natively can be read by any windows machine.

Read smallnetbuilder.com for reviews on unraid (lime tech) before you buy/build.

HTH :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dedicated Media Server/NAS - build or buy?0