Backing up & shrinking Bluerays
Hey All.

As far as finding out which playlist to use in a multiple version BR I do the following:

-- use BDInfo under Windows [through VirtualBox in my case]
-- BDInfo will present you with multiple options for the same film
--- if you're unsure which to use then fire up TSMuxer and create an m2ts file with the playlist you think is correct...
----- if you picked the right film then use that as your source...trial and error and you know it'll work...
thethirdnut Wrote:Hey All.

As far as finding out which playlist to use in a multiple version BR I do the following:

-- use BDInfo under Windows [through VirtualBox in my case]
-- BDInfo will present you with multiple options for the same film
--- if you're unsure which to use then fire up TSMuxer and create an m2ts file with the playlist you think is correct...
----- if you picked the right film then use that as your source...trial and error and you know it'll work...

Yeah, not been using BDInfo so I will look into it. I've got so many danged little widget tools it drives me crazy.

P.S. As for speed - HB uses the same encoders I'm using and in fact I'm using 64bit x.264 and other tools that HB might not use although you did state X64. The reason for encoding speed diffs between your setup and mine is the profile and maybe the OS, my profile is tweaked and very high bitrate. I can look later if you want details but with just one encode running I do get something like 20FPS or so. Encoding isn't memory intensive but I've got 12gigs and my CPU runs 8 threads maxxed under x.264. For real "speed" MediaConverter7 can do a movie in like 45mins but I'm not convinced it's quality is as high so I'm not using it right now except to test while I wait for them to answer my queries concerning profiles. Bitrate and other settings make a massive difference in speed but sometimes make small differences in quality. I try for max quality knowing that one day I may be throwing the video on a very large screen Big Grin
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I'm using Handbrake 64-bit version of the nightly build under Mythbuntu 10.04.

A transcode typically takes 3-4 hours using Constant Quality RF = 19; no audio or subtitles included.

This is running on an i3-540 with 4 GB RAM...doubles as my 24/7 server...runs about 110 watts idle.
ah, constant quality 17.5 is likely a part of it.

program --crf 17.5 --qpmin 10 --partitions all --level 4.1 --bframes 3 --ref 4 --slices 4 --aud --nal-hrd vbr --b-pyramid strict --keyint 24 --min-keyint 2 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --weightp 0 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --output "output" "input"

That's a bit weird as it comes from the meGUI profile heh. I see framerates as high as 20+ but those look to be animated. How to Train a Dragon 20+ and took 3:06mins. Knight and Day 15FPS 2:54mins. Salt was 17.x FPS 2:45mins. I often compress 2 at once but those are from logs where I've done just one at a time and I wasn't where I could see them earlier. I seriously looked at 6core CPU and I hate that my GPU isn't used. I did have fun drag racing a friend with a Mac Pro that had dual XEON, same movie, same profile, same OS used (Windows), umm I beat him although with a slightly higher clock than I use now. Yes at some point shaving an hour off is silly if it runs while you sleep, it used to take me quite a bit longer though before moving to this CPU and I'm happy for it!

Sadly the x.264 guys don't seem interested in GPU speedups apparently but Sandy may get their attention despite Intel not speaking to them until long after design was done. <sigh> Encoding seems to be one of the few consumer type apps where raw speed seems to come out. I want absolute max quality in hopes of projecting to a much bigger screen down the road and I'm now playing with multibranch MKV which are even bigger!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Yea, try RF = 19 or even 20; might shave off some more time for you. I subjectively can't tell between original and HB's output at 19 on a 58" plasma up close.
thethirdnut Wrote:Yea, try RF = 19 or even 20; might shave off some more time for you. I subjectively can't tell between original and HB's output at 19 on a 58" plasma up close.

Ya, I admit it's very likely overkill. I just dread ending up like I did with my MP3 at some point wondering oh why did I rip at such a crappy bitrate while doing them all over again! Angry

I may try a few others settings and see how it looks. Playing with BDinfo now BTW. Not seeing where I can figure out one track from another I'm afraid. I CAN see the different tracks but figuring out that one is the say Theatrical vs the Director vs the Unrated not so much. Playing them and looking at times would work though - if I had BD playback software on this machine :o I usually just go for the longest track but now with the ability to do branches I'm wanting more.

I have read that in order to support BD menus some sort of license has to be purchased. Since the menus are Java, I thought, this really confuses me. I and likely the original poster, sure wish this was more like ripping a standard DVD!
I only use BDInfo when I have to. The BR which contain the Theatrical + Director's Cut, etc and you have several dozen smaller m2ts files versus just one large one as with most movies.

--- Below is for people who don't use TSMuxer much; disregard if you do ---

Pick the *.mpls file you think is the movie you want and then load that into TSMuxer...will be under <movie>/BDMV/PLAYLIST...it can load those playlist files in addition to m2ts files, etc if you weren't aware of this.

Once TSMuxer loads your selected *.mpls file it'll show you any more extra crap to strip off like separate director commentary audio and/or video...If not sure if this is correct mux the selected streams to a new m2ts file...if that works then use that as your source for the rest of the transcoding, etc.

Long-winded way to do it yes; but it works.

PS: I only take one version of whatever movie...usually the longest...only exception for me is Apocalypse Now + Apocalypse Now Redux. I really do consider those almost two different movies so I just created both. ;-)
I have a question about movies with multiple versions. I was copying my Toy Story movie, using Handbrake with Bluray support, it picks the first longest title automatically. After it finished encoding I perused the movie to make sure it was a good copy. I happened along one scene that had a Magic 8 Ball and the answer was written in French, the spoken language was still English. I checked the original Bluray using TMT3 and this time the answer was in English, odd.

So I went back to Handbrake and looked at the titles. There are 3 long titles in this movie. Two, say numbers 120 and 121 ( I don't remember exactly ) are exactly the same length, one has the 8 ball answer in French, the other it is in Spanish. There is also a third title that is a few minutes shorter than these two, say number 15, and it has the answer in English.

Long story short I copied the movie three times, and finally got the right version. There were also other scenes that had foreign writing in them. But I only happened upon this quirk by accident.

Is there some way to check for these movie additions and know that I am getting the right version of the film?
I don't know if there is an easy way via the 3rd party tools we're using. I'm assuming an actual BR player will map the relevant Eng, Francais or Spanish stream based on player preferences/settings for default language. Those details are obviously stored in the playlist info or elsewhere, but I'm not sure where it could be accessible through the ripping avenue.

I also ran into this with Toy Story 3. Audio stream was correct English, but I saw a lot of French text substituted into the movie in certain places.

I very briefly considered fixing this, but shortly after decided against it since it'll allow me to gain credit for my children's cosmopolitan upbringing. ;-)
thethirdnut Wrote:<snip>

PS: I only take one version of whatever movie...usually the longest...only exception for me is Apocalypse Now + Apocalypse Now Redux. I really do consider those almost two different movies so I just created both. ;-)

Going to have to explore TSMuxer a bit, I am sure I have it but I suspect the GUI I'm using is insulating me from it or my workflow just doesn't use it.

That said - WRT to multi-version movies... I too have usually just taken the longest one. However I learned some time ago that Matroska can do seamless branching much like BluRay does! I was never ever able to figure out how to do this until recently finding a tool named Xin1 that handles this. It gets a little complex as a workflow but the author is open to suggestions for improvements. I'm still learning but in your example of Apocalypse Now chances are you could have saved a bunch of space if the versions shared any video. Unfortunately ffmpeg has been slow to support this (surprise) and XBMC doesn't yet have an interface as they're waiting on ffmpeg. A thread discussing it is here -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55764 IMO it's worthwhile if you've got multiple versions of movies around like I do!

P.S. I encoded using -19 for quality vs -17 and gained just 3FPS lol. That said it was also a gig smaller!
I will also likely have the SAME issue with Toy Story -argh! Not watched it yet but I can see I'll be pulling it to rip again! Sad
I'll check out Xin1. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backing up & shrinking Bluerays0