Auto Movie Set?
Pardon me if this has been discussed before -- a quick search turned up nothing.

Movie sets are a nifty feature in XBMC. However, as far as know, movies have to be added manually to movie sets. I propose a feature that automatically organizes movies into set based on folder structure.

For example, something like this:
Code:
Movies/
    Movie Title/
        movie_file.mkv
    Movie Set Title/
        Movie  Title/
            movie_file.mkv
        Movie Title/
            movie_file.mkv
    Move Title/
        movie_file.mkv
The top directory has a list of folders, in which each folder contains a movie along with any other extras (subtitle files, for example). The if the sub directories do NOT contain a file, but instead contain more sub directories, then treat the folder name as the name of the movie set, and scan it recursively to find the movies in that folder and add them to that set. The movies' year can be used as a sort, or perhaps the "Movie Title" folders could be based alphabettically (putting the year in front of the movie title).

Practical example:
Code:
Movies/
    Forrest Gump/
        forrest_gump_480.mkv
    Harry Potter Collection/
        2001 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/
            HPatSS.mkv
        2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets/
            HPatCoS.mkv
    Inception/
        Inception.mkv

here, you will see this in the library:
- Forrest Gump
- Harry Potter Collection
- Inception
where Harry Potter Collection is the movie sets, and the movies sets are sorted in alphabetically based on the sub directories (again, alternatively this could be made to work with year via settings, but that might be problematic for, say, the Matrix Trilogy where the last two movies came out in the same year...)

What do you think?
Looking for a few comments. >_>
Why would you want that when scraper already provide movie sets ? Which one should be above the other ?
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
The scraper already provides movie sets? LIES!

No, seriously, if it does point me in the right direction. Also not sure what you mean with your second question...
That requires you to have the movies in the set on the same source which isn't always practical none of mine are on the same source and don't need to be currently, adding sets from the GUI would be a better option if possible in any case I'm sure at some point it will be improved upon in some way or another

Also if you always scan recursively because of your directory structure how would it know if a sub directory was part of a set or just another directory

In any case how hard is it to add a simple nfo to each title before you scrape or after and refresh each one or use one of the media managers to do it for you ?

You can just use

Code:
<movie>
    <title>The Matrix</title>
    <set>The Matrix Trilogy</set>
</movie>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/
Ciné-Passion does, I don't know about other scrapers (I'm French), but it's possible to do it through scrapers.

2nd question is : what happen when both scrapers and folder structures wants to create a movie set ? (with different names I mean).
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto Movie Set?0