Help with surround sound - CM106
Hi all,

I bought a Revo 230 last year to use as a HTPC running Xbmx on ubuntu. After lots of problems with HDMI (it refused to pass a picture to my a/v receiver) I have now bought an external USB soundcard so I can use that to pass surround sound to my receiver via s/pdif.

The soundcard is http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106540. However, in ubuntu it is only recognised as a 2 channel analog card. It works fine as this andoutputs in stereo over s/pdif.

In Xbmc I changed the sound settings to optical, had my receiver marked as accepting DTS, Dolby and had passthrough set as this device. This gives an "audio device failed to initialise" error when I try to play anything. It can output in stereo ok but that's it.

The output of lsusb is:
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound Device

and aplay -l gives:
card 1: default [USB Sound Device ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any help would be very gratefully received. I've had this htpc over a year now and still haven't managed to get it working due to issue after issue, it's incredibly frustrating. The annoying thing is it all works fine in Windows but I need the VDPAU acceleration in Linux.

Many thanks
Did you ever get it working? I'm having the same problem, card works perfectly with analog PCM but I need DTS and ac3 too, and it refuses to passthrough.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with surround sound - CM1060