Why I can't keep XBMC
So I'm relatively new to XBMC and while I enjoyed the experience, I thought my experiences would be useful to others.

1. I REALLY wish XBMC had an option for on-the-fly volume normalizing. My neighbor has been routinely placing notes on my door regarding the volume of my movies although I have to watch most movies with subtitles now because the dialog audio is so soft.

2. I wish controls in XBMC were easier to setup. I have a Dell Gyration remote and while I've been using Eventghost for the remote mappings, for some reason, the pause function just never worked (in both the default and XBMCrepeat plugins)...oh well

3. I wish XBMC did folder watching so that I didn't have to manually update the library or wait for the auto-update add-in to run or press a custom button on my remote which just doesn't seem to have enough buttons for the functionality in XBMC.

And that's about it...other than those areas, XBMC is pretty darn close to perfect and I'm really glad I tried it out. The Android remote is an incredible feature and the Aeon skin is drop-dead gorgeous...

But the volume normalizing is a serious bummer to me. It would be great if directshow codecs worked within XBMC and there was the option to choose but short of using an older build of XBMC with DSplayer, it seems that there aren't many great options.

The XBMC team is really great though, if only my neighbor wasn't such a pain..
1) Is a often requested feature which will hopefully adressed after the new audio engine is in place.

2) The hope is that with binary addons we will move towards input addons which will allow for easier installation of remotes. Most remotes will hopefully be just download the input addon and it will work. Configuration might be taken care of when we make the input addons but just that first part will likely help lots.

3) XBMC does watch played movies?
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:1) Is a often requested feature which will hopefully adressed after the new audio engine is in place.

2) The hope is that with binary addons we will move towards input addons which will allow for easier installation of remotes. Most remotes will hopefully be just download the input addon and it will work. Configuration might be taken care of when we make the input addons but just that first part will likely help lots.

3) XBMC does watch played movies?

By my 3rd point, I meant that files that are added to a source folder aren't automatically added in the XBMC library and that the task of updating the library happens on a command or startup of XBMC (or every few minutes depending on if you have the auto-update addon installed)

In Windows Media Center, if you add a file to a folder, just navigate out of the directory and back in and it shows up automatically. No need to manually start the task of updating the library
inslee Wrote:By my 3rd point, I meant that files that are added to a source folder aren't automatically added in the XBMC library and that the task of updating the library happens on a command or startup of XBMC (or every few minutes depending on if you have the auto-update addon installed)

In Windows Media Center, if you add a file to a folder, just navigate out of the directory and back in and it shows up automatically. No need to manually start the task of updating the library

Ah, yes thats also something planned when we redo the vfs into binary addons hopefully.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
inslee Wrote:By my 3rd point, I meant that files that are added to a source folder aren't automatically added in the XBMC library and that the task of updating the library happens on a command or startup of XBMC (or every few minutes depending on if you have the auto-update addon installed)

That would be a nice little addition.

Right now, I just back up, press the info button and click refresh....But that can take a while on folders with lots of items Smile
1) Are you sure you have your speakers setup correctly? I had this same "problem" until I realized my center speaker had become un plugged. Some movies don't send anything out on the side speakers other than explosions.

3.)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ];do
xbmc-send -a "UpdateLibrary(video)"
done
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I dont really see the need to update the library more often than 2 hours, which is why the auto updater addon is fine.

If you want to update the library as soon as your downloader gets the file then just run a post-process script.

If you manually moved the file, then one extra step to update the library isnt a big deal.

I really think there are bigger fish to fry to be honest.
I found a way to normalize the audio a little bit (completely forgot about built-in Windows features) but Windows 7 has audio enhancements when you view the specific playback device you use for audio.

In the Enhancements section there's an option called "Loudness Equalization" so I enabled it and it seems to be working pretty well so far (we'll see if my neighbor continues to complain)
cosmicr Wrote:I dont really see the need to update the library more often than 2 hours, which is why the auto updater addon is fine.

If you want to update the library as soon as your downloader gets the file then just run a post-process script.

If you manually moved the file, then one extra step to update the library isnt a big deal.

I really think there are bigger fish to fry to be honest.

Yep, I've got a script on my WHS that runs a program to update XBMC once a file renaming program has been run.

Really don't need to do folder watching to be honest, it be nice but not a feature of top importance.
Qu3uk Wrote:Yep, I've got a script on my WHS that runs a program to update XBMC once a file renaming program has been run.

Really don't need to do folder watching to be honest, it be nice but not a feature of top importance.

Why not just use the auto updater addon? Let it run every couple hours, and if you need more run a manual update. Heck, Sickbeard even updates the library itself on every download. I believe that CouchPotato has the same function.

I understand what you're looking for, but honestly don't think it should be a reason to abandon XBMC. Its a one-click operation. Update Library.
Those of us with Linux tend to use cron. Since you seem to have a lot of content being updated automatically, it might be in your best interest to have your torrent software run a library update when it copies a file.
Go to Settings -> Video -> Library and tick Update library at startup. This way everytime you wake up the HTPC from sleep the library updates itself automatically.
I'll work out a way to automate the library updating. Currently I don't have much of an automated system for moving completed torrents around so I'll figure that out at some point.

I just realized Windows 7 has a built-in Loudness Normalizer (in the properties of your audio device) and so far that seems to be doing an ok job for now.
inslee Wrote:I'll work out a way to automate the library updating. Currently I don't have much of an automated system for moving completed torrents around so I'll figure that out at some point.

I just realized Windows 7 has a built-in Loudness Normalizer (in the properties of your audio device) and so far that seems to be doing an ok job for now.

if you use sickbeard, it will update the appropriate series for you.
inslee Wrote:So I'm relatively new to XBMC and while I enjoyed the experience, I thought my experiences would be useful to others.

1. I REALLY wish XBMC had an option for on-the-fly volume normalizing. My neighbor has been routinely placing notes on my door regarding the volume of my movies although I have to watch most movies with subtitles now because the dialog audio is so soft.

But the volume normalizing is a serious bummer to me. It would be great if directshow codecs worked within XBMC and there was the option to choose but short of using an older build of XBMC with DSplayer, it seems that there aren't many great options.

I share the same feeling here. I absolutely hate having to turn down the volume every time some music starts playing in a movie; only to turn back up the volume when the music is over and the characters start talking again.

I've been searching to no end trying to find a solution to this, but have yet to find one.

Unfortunately, I run XBMC Live and refuse to put Win7 on my HTPC just to get normalization. I run a simple setup. XBMC box to Panasonic Plasma via HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why I can't keep XBMC0