should i take up all the effort that takes to get XBMC to run?
Hi

Well I decided to get here to ask for some help in the "should i take up all the effort that takes to get XBMC to run?" topic -.-. I guessed no1 better then xbmc users to tell me that ^^.

I think today I've tried it for the 5th/6th. This time i got as far as adding items manually to the library! =D

What intersts me on XBMC is that u can use alternative players, so (I guess) it's possible to use other players like kmp or mpc and use EVR in order to get dxva working for h264 and mpeg2 and xvid?

What ALWAYS stops me on getting even to test the player part: Library and file navigation.

What I feel I need from an HT Software is browse all my files along a list, based on filenames (and maybe nicy pics but that's not even a bit mandatory), being to change organization by filename/date/etc. I don't need to set genres and other stuff. Today actually for the first time, after a lot of hasslle I manged to add some videos manually to the library, but then they came out as movies >_>.

I tried also the 'mtv scrapper', but that didn't work at all for me. Maybe because I add extra info to filenames like '[19] [VOB] Vandalism - Never Say Never'?

The folder view could work... if I didn't had 5 hard discs and a total of almost 10k video clips spread in 9 folders.

That resumes a bit of my situation and my story with XBMC. I like to recall I came here to ask for some directions in if i should go on trying, and what to look for on the XBMC topic. I'm not really to bitch bout it (even thou in some points it may sound x.x), but i'm guessing i'm looking at the wrong places (or not looking) since apparently so many use it.
vbkun Wrote:"should i take up all the effort that takes to get XBMC to run?

Well, since you are asking here I would think that you will get nothing but yes answers. It is definitely worth the effort. Although there really isn't that much effort if you have your files prepared correctly.

Name your movies with the exact name from IMDb along with the year. Name tv shows as seen on thetvdb.com. Set IMDb and TheTVDB as your scrapers for movies and tv shows. With movies, providing the year in the file name guarantees that you will scrape the correct movie.

Example:

Code:
d:\movies
     |_____Alien(1979)
               |_____Alien.brrip.xvid

d:\tv shows
     |_____Battlestar Galactica
               |_____Season 1
                         |_____Battlestar Galactica.S01E01.vob
               |_____Season 2
                         |_____Battlestar Galactica.S02E01.vob

Make sure when you add a source you "Set Content" and tell XBMC to use the correct scraper.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
It's not nearly as hard as you're trying to make it. Simply follow the proper naming schemes and folder setups for each type of file and make sure you SET CONTENT properly because there's really no way that a video source with the content set properly should ever have a TV show scraped as a movie.
10k video clips? Are they all movies/tv shows? And have you taken a look at the quick start guide? It's pretty helpful.
I'll try be short and concise now because i just wrote a very detailed post and accidentally lost it due an stupid mouse shortcut =.=

My files are all music video clips and music live performances. I do not store tv shows/movies. Unless I have not watch them yet, as soon as I'm finish I do hit shift+del. Also I don't have any real interst in adding movies/tv shows to XBMC.

The use of library is not mandatory for me, it would be neat to use it due some functions like the marks for watched/not watched.

About me and Mtv scrapper:

Mtv scrapper did nothing for me. This may relate to my strict filenaming policy, example:

[04] ##HDTV-TS## 浜崎あゆみ - [00-12-01] - SURREAL (BShi デジタルドリームライブWink
[06] [HD] Christina Aguilera - Medley @ 2010 Mtv movie awards [1280x720p H264]
[19] [VOB] Kyo Ft. Sita - Le chemin [CLEAN]
[20] [STD-DEF] 北出菜奈 - 悲しみのキズ ( 704x480 MPEG2 )

As it is noticeable I follow a tag standard, wouldn't be hard for me to use some plugin to add automatcly to library creating meta tags from filenames in a custom way (but i'm not sure if it is possible, seems XBMC depends on internet content to add stuff to library). I'm just not sure if that does exist =.= (that's one of reasons I am here thou! ^^)

About manual Mode:

I tried it (not that I can consider use it, since it's too many files to add). And any file I added would end up as a movie, I didn't found how set it as music video clip.

I guess at this post i have been clearer bout what type files I have and how they are arranged ^^. Guess it was a big fail start my post not being clear bout this!

Btw, thanks guys to the replies!

Ps: I've read a lot of the xbmc wiki, that's how I got to do most stuff I did on it. But as I didn't found anything there relating my problems with XBMC I started thinking it might isn't the software for me, and came here to ask you guys since you know better then me! Big Grin
If you want to browse by files, just browse by files and be done with it. Don't complicate things.

So start off just browsing by files. Only once you're comfortable with that do you need to thing about prettying things up.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
should i take up all the effort that takes to get XBMC to run?0