• 2(current)
[RELEASE] Wireless Manager (Wicd based) Addon for Linux
I deiceded to make an "in between" version since I dont have time to work too much on it the next few days.

I have added Disconnect & Scan as requested.
I have added an indicator in the list for "autoconnect = 1": "+" (and ">" means connected)
Since I don't have time to write a dialog for "configure network" I temporarily created a "remove auto" button. This is to deal with the problem with multiple auto network where the most powerfull dont have a correct key.

I am going to create a repository to host the component...if some one need the new version and cant wait, let me know.

Off to the airport....
vlkjon0 thats for all of your efforts. I tried using this whilst offline and it didnt work but i see why now Smile ill give it a go with the new updates and post here. it could flow a little better but again i will report when ive tested the new version
Quote:vlkjon0 thats for all of your efforts. I tried using this whilst offline and it didnt work but i see why now ill give it a go with the new updates and post here. it could flow a little better but again i will report when ive tested the new version
Yes, offline for installation is a no go for the moment. Maybe I should focus on that in the next step.

What do you mean with better flow? You are talking about how the GUI is working? Please tell me exactly how and I will try to adjust it.
I have created a repository to make it easier to upgrade to new versions.
The latest wireless manager is in there.
http://github.com/vikjon0/qf-xbmc-addons...addons.zip
Install the zip from system/add-ons

Latest version direct download.
https://github.com/downloads/vikjon0/qf-...-0.0.3.zip
I just made a test version that will install without internet connection. The .deb file are included in the zip.
https://github.com/downloads/vikjon0/qf-...ffline.zip
It deb files are for Ubuntu Lucid (10.4) which means it will work fine for live 10.0.

You should install the repository as well if you want to receive updates.
tested on Asrock 330 worked fine... but couldnt install from zipp so installed manually and ran it..put in my key and worked first time..thanks very much for this
Quote:tested on Asrock 330 worked fine... but couldnt install from zipp so installed manually and ran it..put in my key and worked first time..thanks very much for this
Thank you for the feedback. When you say you couldnt install from zip, do you mean the actual add-on itself? The installation of wicd worked?
Hi.. when i followed your instructions for the plugin and installed it from zip and then i opened the script and pressed install but the install of the wireless Deb failed so i uninstalled the addon ..ftp'ed the script folder over unzipped and installed the addon again...opened and pressed install ..it installed this time and refreshed found my network and password in and done.
Quote:Hi.. when i followed your instructions for the plugin and installed it from zip and then i opened the script and pressed install but the install of the wireless Deb failed so i uninstalled the addon ..ftp'ed the script folder over unzipped and installed the addon again...opened and pressed install ..it installed this time and refreshed found my network and password in and done
OK, I can only guess that something went wrong the first time. I don't know how the installation procedure would effect the result.

If you still have the log please post it on pastebin.com. (if you have restarted more than once it will be gone, you hace one xbmc.log and one .old log).
I will improve the error handling in future versions.
vikjon0!

Thanks for you plugin. It's really nice and usefull! Smile

Everything works fine except one thing:
It seems that network connection setuping for a long time during system startup (on Live). And XBMC tries to retreive weather forecast and RSS feed before wifi connection established, so this attempt failing. And XBMC makes next attempt only after 15 minutes.

Can you suggest anything how to fix this?
May be change priority of wicd demon start \ make XBMC wait before connection is established or smth else.

Thanks
Quote:May be change priority of wicd demon start \ make XBMC wait before connection is established or smth else.

Hello! I dont have that problem myself but it is very common. The simple solution seem to be to add a delay in runXBMC. I am not sure it is a good idea that my add-on do that automaticaly. Perhaps there is a better way but for the moment I dont know it.

I will find the link to the fix and post in a few minutes.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=657598&postcount=8

To ínsert a delay in xbmc startup

Quote:sudo nano /usr/bin/runXBMC

insert
Quote:sleep 10
In the beginning (after comments, before first if)

CTRL-o to save
CTRL-x to exit

I suggest that you experiement with the lenght of the delay.
It would of course be possible to make it loop until net is up, or max 30s.
vikjon0 Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=657598&postcount=8

insert

CTRL-o to save
CTRL-x to exit

Very nice!!!
Do you know if you can insert a delay in automatic "update library in startup" feature?
Several users complains in this forum that the auto library update starts too early, before the network interface is up and/or mount all devices, but I've never found a solution.
A 30s delay for this will solve a lot of issues....

Thanks in advance.
Quote:Do you know if you can insert a delay in automatic "update library in startup" feature?
If you add a delay in xbmc startup it will also delay the auto update relative to the network startup. Depending on how you mount I have no clue, but you should probably mount in fstab not in xbmc and the same delay should be fine.
vikjon0 Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=657598&postcount=8

insert

CTRL-o to save
CTRL-x to exit

I havent played with or looked at your script but if indeed it uses wicd-curses there is a better solution that eliminates the guess work for the delay.

Code:
sudo cp /usr/bin/runXBMC /etc/wicd/scripts/postconnect/

Code:
sudo mv /usr/bin/runXBMC /usr/bin/runXBMC.bak

This makes use of the auto run script function in wicd.
XBMC will not start untill there is an active connection.

This will work for anyone using XBMC live and has wicd-curses installed and setup.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Wireless Manager (Wicd based) Addon for Linux1