Start XBMC when HDMI is plugged in
I have a laptop that i use both as my general PC, and as an HTPC by connecting the HDMI cable.

Now, windows 7(ultimate x64, if that's any help) automagically detects the HDMI connection and changes my desktop from regular to extended. BUT i'd like XBMC to start at the same time, since the only time i ever use the HDMI is when i'm also using XBMC.

oh, and it'd be nice if it terminated when i pull it out, too.
it'd be like a secret media center that only runs when you have connected the cable :p windows desktop doesn't belong on the telly anyways.

I know it's probably easy as pie on linux, but that just isn't an option since i want a windows system for general use, and the time it takes to dual-boot just sucks when you have movie-eager friends over.

well, is it at all possible on a windows system? maybe as easy as a batch file(although i hardly think so)
Thanks Smile

edit; oh btw, i didn't know where to put the thread. I know it's more of a system mod than a feature that can be implemented into XBMC, since different systems will react differently. Anyways, all tips are welcome!
Maybe "Eventghost" can be used for this.
Install it and see if you can get any events when connecting and disconnecting the HDMI cable. If you can then it is easy to start and close XBMC uppon these events.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

thanks for the tip! sadly though, it doesn't report anything when i plug the cable in or out..

that would have been too easy i guess :p
Isn't there a plugin available that does report this?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER

if you are a little familiar with coding, try autohotkey (an easy scripting language).
maybe you can tell him to start/stop xbmc when your resolution changes.
Maybe this helps:

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopi...ch+monitor

Just tested this and it works great.
BTW I can use this also since I use HDMI and the receiver is not always on. So I can start XBMC when the receiver is turned on and close it when I power off the receiver. This way XBMC is always started Fullscreen with the correct resolution Smile
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER

thank you very much! works exactly like i want!
I'm new to eventghost and not entirely sure how it works.

Any step by step guides or alternatives to getting XBMC to start when an HDMI cable is inserted to my laptop?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Start XBMC when HDMI is plugged in0