Apple TV w XBMC and large files over network
I have been using my PS3 with PS3 media server on my home PC for all my streaming needs but I am tired of when I want to use it the media server needing to be restarted or sometimes files wont play correctly for one reason or another. Every file that has not played through the PS3 media server has played properly on XBMC.

I am looking to purchase a 1st gen ATV and put XBMC on it but I have a couple questions first. Most of my video content is in 720p or above. The files are typically from 1.4GB to 15GB. I have a wired GB network which works great with the PS3. I can stream all my workable formats no matter what size with no stuttering and fast forward and rewind very well. Being that the ATV is 100Mb, I wonder if I will run into issues with the larger files? I see that it supports wireless N but I don't have a N router. I suppose I will need to get one if I run into issues. So to you all that have ATV with XBMC, how well does it work with the higher resolution videos over the network?

Also, can I have a share set up on the ATV itself? I am thinking 1.5 TB external USB HD hooked to the ATV that I can copy files to over the network if the network speeds are an issue.

Thanks,

David
Bump! Anyone?

At this point I have already purchased the ATV so the netowrk thing is less of an issue since I already own it. I would still like to hear feedback.

I am wondering about being able to copy thing to the ATV HDD over the network and also if I can do the same with an external HDD on the ATV.

David
my 1080's usually only use around 10-12mb a sec so as long as your 100mb link can handle that you should be ok.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

thanks

I tried hooking an external HDD up to the ATV today and it would not recognize it. I am assuming right now that it doesn't work but I haven't done any research yet.

David

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV w XBMC and large files over network0