720p MKV deinterlacing lags - hardware too slow?
Hi everyone,

I am trying to play a 720p MKV file and when i play it with the "De-interlacing" option active, it lags pretty much (with "de-interlacing" on "auto", it laggs less).

So i wonder if it is my hardware which is too slow - and if so, what is too slow, or what else i can do about it - any help from your side is very much appreciated!

Here are my most important computer specs:

XBMC: Darma, V. 10.0
CPU: AMD Athlon-XP 3200+ (2200 Mhz, singlecore)
RAM: 1500 MB DDR SDRAM (PC3200)
SWAP file (german: Auslagerungsdatei): 3500 MB
Graphic card: nVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 (ASUS AGP-V9570), 256MB DDR
maybe by using DSplayer, the situation would be better (i understand that with DSplayer i should be able to use CoreAVC (whith which i had no lags when i used it under zoomplayer))

if this is correct, the wiki tells me to proceed as follows:

In order to use dsplayer, you need to edit a configuration file to tell dsplayer which filters using when playing your files. To do that, you have to edit two XML files, named filtersconfig.xml and mediasconfig.xml. These files are located in system/players/dsplayer. However, if you want to add some filters or media rules, the best is to create your own XML file in the userdata folder. The XML files must be in a dsplayer folder. You should have something like that : C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\dsplayer\filterconfig.xml. The filters or rules declared on the userdata folder overrides those declared in the system folder. You can see at the bottom of the page the default XML files.

however, i do not have a "Dsplayer" folder - i only have "dvdplayer" and "paplayer" with my Dharma 10.0 installation...

how should i install dsplayer? any ideas?
If it's a 720p file, where does deinterlacing come in to the equation?
I see three problems:

1. That CPU lacks the power to decode HD content in XBMC.

2. That GPU is too old to help decode content.

3. Windows XP lacks the backend to help the GPU decode content.

Core AVC works because it trades picture quality for lower CPU requirements, but the first day you try a 1080p file it will fail too.

Your hardware isn't completely obsolete, just the OS and GPU are. One of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Plus XBMC Live would give you the ability to not only play 720p files, but 1080p as well.

thank you for your feedback, poofyhairyguy- much appreciated.

so your saying that CPU and RAM would be fine, if i changed the graphic card to a more powerful one and change the OS to a one that is able to use the GPU for decoding?

If so, would changing to Win7 + new graphic card also do the trick? (incl. 1080p?)

@magnetism: as i undestood de-interlacing, it pre-computes the picture in a way so that tiny parts of the picture are drawn in higher quality when the cam is moved quickly - thus, it would require higher CPU power. considering your reaction, i guess im wrong?
SwissElite Wrote:so your saying that CPU and RAM would be fine, if i changed the graphic card to a more powerful one and change the OS to a one that is able to use the GPU for decoding?

Yes, with one clarification. It is not just about replacing the graphics card with a better one, it is about replacing it with that exact card I linked. There is literally no other card on the plant that I know of that would work for you.

Quote:If so, would changing to Win7 + new graphic card also do the trick? (incl. 1080p?)

Honestly I don't see why not. My Netbook has the same approximate amount of power as your computer plus that GPU and it works fine in Windows 7. Only difference is I have a little more RAM, which shouldn't make a huge difference.

magnetism Wrote:If it's a 720p file, where does deinterlacing come in to the equation?

Again, if it's 720p (that's 'p' for progressive) you don't need the de-interlace.
the other option would be to buy new cpu/mainboard (which then would require new ram, obvioulsy)

i think i will go for that option, so i will definitely not have problems playing media -

i will post the hardware specs before ill buy them, just to double check! thx for you help!
*new pc configured under LINK*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p MKV deinterlacing lags - hardware too slow?0