XMBC Live versus Windows for XBMC only Performance
Hardware being the same (let's say one of the ION systems like Revo, JetWay, etc. and an SSD) are there any significant performance gains for XBMC over one or the other? Most people tend to pick one or the other (Live or Windows) based on factors unrelated to just XBMC performance (want Hulu, games, cost - no Windows license, dont' know linux, etc.), but if one wanted the best XBMC performance, is one version significantly better than the other?
Windows will use up more system resources than XBMC Live, translating to slower performance on smaller machines. The most noticable changes will be in boot & load times. As far as I'm aware, quality of playback will not be noticably different, as long as the hardware can support the higher demands of a Windows system.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
I tried xbmc on windows 7 and I have to say that it was a very frustrating experience. All thanks to windows 7 which constantly needed updates or froze without any warnings.

Moved to xbmc live and never had a problem.
If you are talking about JUST XBMC and nothing else, I tend to prefer the Linux route. Two reasons:

1. It allows you to make a XBMC appliance

2. DXVA support in XBMC isn't where VDPAU support is. First of all there is no de-interlacing with DXVA, but there is with VDPAU. Secondly (in my experience) on the same machine VDPAU "gets going faster." What I mean by that is after you press play on a HD video using VDPAU it plays as soon as you TV adjusts super smoothly. With DXVA it is like Crystal HD where it takes a brief moment to get going.

Thanks for the responses. I'm putting together a second box and was considering going the XBMC Live route, as my first box is a Win 7 box. And honestly, I haven't had any problems with the performance - though, I have nothing to compare it to. My next box I want to create as close to an appliance as possible. Sounds like I should go XBMC Live. Also, are there any remotes that aren't full MCE remotes? I currently use an MCE remote which I find has way too many buttons (and I hate accidentally pressing the middle Windows button which starts Windows Media Center).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC Live versus Windows for XBMC only Performance0