HP MCE Remote kit on Dharma Live
:bashing head into computer:
I have an HP IR receiver and will let you know how it works / if I get it working once my Harmony remote arrives for me to test with. As of now, I have no input device to test Sad

As someone mentioned, you can use XBMCFreak. I resorted to using XBMCFreak after my GT430 was not being initialized properly on boot and sitting at a username/password prompt. Something was up with the nVidia driver, but XBMCFreak had the most current driver and now it works fine.
OP,

I bought this exact HP MCE remote kit on ebay to use with my Harmony 880 remote a few months back, and had the exact same problem.

The USB id for this particular USB receiver is missing from LIRC, and it has to added manually.

Follow the steps/links in post #8 at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84281. You're problem will be solved.
I'd really like to avoid starting from scratch again and again.
i've already reloaded Dharma Live 2 times to make sure I'm doing these steps on a clean install...
bostoneric Wrote:I'd really like to avoid starting from scratch again and again.
i've already reloaded Dharma Live 2 times to make sure I'm doing these steps on a clean install...

No clean reinstall necessary. It's just a matter of rebuilding the modified version LIRC with the added USB id info.
ok i'll check out that thread you linked.
sorry didnt see it since you added after I replied.
bostoneric Wrote:ok i'll check out that thread you linked.
sorry didnt see it since you added after I replied.

Good luck.
Just curious, has anyone contacted the LIRC folks to let them know that this device should be supported in future builds so these mods are not necessary?! Huh
bmcclure937 Wrote:Just curious, has anyone contacted the LIRC folks to let them know that this device should be supported in future builds so these mods are not necessary?! Huh

I have.

It's supported in builds higher than the one that ships with XBMC. It's really xbmc that needs to merge in updated lirc drivers/modules.

The issue is that lirc witched develoeprs, and then got merged into the kernel. If you actually just upgrade to a newer than .35 kernel I think, the drivers are present there.
So it should work great with this XBMCFreak build. I am running that due to the latest nVidia drivers and Linux kernel.

I was worried about it running on 10.10 Maverick at first, but it has been doing fine.
hmmm well i'm almost to the point of getting a "fancier" remote that is known to work :bangshead: I really wanted this remote to work because its so simple.

I'm willing to send to somebody to test if they want to try and get it working.

its def not the HP IR receiver because many people use that with other remotes.
bmcclure937 Wrote:So it should work great with this XBMCFreak build. I am running that due to the latest nVidia drivers and Linux kernel.

I was worried about it running on 10.10 Maverick at first, but it has been doing fine.

Should be fine. One important thing to note is that in newer kernels/lirc builds, there's the kernel drivers that are built-in and sould support the newer receivers, so if you pull in the lirc source and don't see your model in the drivers, it's because it is in the kernel. The lirc source serves as a fallback - if it can't find a driver in the kernel, it falls back to looking at the drivers in the lirc package, so you can easily add new receivers still.
bumpidy
thanks to charlesnasi´s hint i got my HP MCE remote receiver working, and it should work for bostoneric too.

Mine has the vendor ID 1934, which belongs to fintek. The hardware id is 5168, which was not in the original mceusb.c. You get these from issuing the command lsusb.

So I had to add the following lines to the mceusb.c

Code:
    /* Fintek eHome Infrared Transceiver (HP MCE Remote) */
    { USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_FINTEK, 0x5168) },

so, for completeness, here is the procedure I did:

download lirc-sources:

Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc-modules-source

Code:
cd /usr/src/lirc-0.8.6/lirc_mceusb

cp lirc_mceusb.c lirc_mceusb.c.old

edit the above lines into lirc_mceusb.c

stop the lirc service:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop

remove the lirc modules:

Code:
sudo rrmod lirc_mceusb
sudo rmmod lirc_dev

remove the old files:

Code:
sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.6 --all

compile and install the new ones:

Code:
sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.6
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 build
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 install

restart the lirc service:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc start

check with irw

Bye

habee
Bostoneric, did you ever get your IR Receiver working? I am having almost the same exact problem as you, although I think that my receiver is a different model than yours.

I have the OVU400103/00 with a Harmony One Remote. The H1 is set up to use XBMC as a MCE Keyboard with their useless software. This post has the config that I used.

I have followed Kaiser423's commands and was able to see inside of lirc_mceusb.c that my device's hardware ID was already listed in the original version!

irw shows nothing at all. I started to think that my receiver was broken, so I hooked it up to my Windows7 laptop and it installed perfectly. I then went to notepad and started hitting buttons. The receiver is working as it should.

At that point I didn't know where else to turn, so i downloaded xbmcfreak maverick. I installed it, got into xbmc and tried to use my remote. No luck. I went into terminal, checked irw and still nothing. Now I am totally lost. I have no idea where to turn from here.

To say that I'm a newb with Linux is a compliment. I know absolutely nothing about it, so please, if you can find the kindness to help me, please treat me as if I am your keyboard and literally type EVERYTHING out exactly for me. I will be very grateful. Any suggestion, no matter how slim of a change you think it might be, I am willing to try.

Thanks,
Thursday

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP MCE Remote kit on Dharma Live1