HP MCE Remote kit on Dharma Live
Now I'm totally confused. I had an old IR receiver laying around from a long time ago, so I decided to give it a shot and see if I could get it to work.

lsusb shows it to be:
147a:e017 Formosa Industrial Computing, Inc. eHome Infrared Receiver

A forum search shows that it's compatible. lirc_mceusb.c already has it listed. irw still shows nothing .... wtf? I am either missing something incredibly easy, or in way over my head, or my computer is possessed. Or possibly all three.
I am another one with this problem, I too have the fintek 5168.

I have followed god knows how many guides to no avail.

I am stuck with rmmod I get the following

Error: Module lirc_mceusb does not exist in /proc/modules
Hi friends!

It looks like me is another sad looser who have bought HP MCE receiver on the eBay and still could not get any output in irw… Sad((

Here is my state after all suggested command was run several times:

Code:
ulrith@core2duo:~$ uname -a
Linux core2duo 2.6.32-32-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 20 21:54:21 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
ulrith@core2duo:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1934:5168  
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05a9:8519 OmniVision Technologies, Inc. OV519 Webcam
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04e8:326c Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd ML-2010P Mono Laser Printer
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
ulrith@core2duo:~$ dmesg | grep lirc
[   17.425621] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   17.465652] lirc_mceusb: Windows Media Center Edition USB IR Transceiver driver for LIRC 1.90
[   17.465656] lirc_mceusb: Daniel Melander <[email protected]>, Martin Blatter <[email protected]>, Dan Conti <[email protected]>
[   17.737446] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[   17.741915] lirc_mceusb[2]: FINTEK eHome Infrared Transceiver on usb5:2
[   17.741958] usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_mceusb
[   89.682643] lirc_mceusb[2]: usb remote disconnected
[  101.866072] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[  101.871074] lirc_mceusb[3]: FINTEK eHome Infrared Transceiver on usb5:3

So it looks like all is ok and lamp on the receiver is blinking but there is no output in irw.

I have a little hope that kaiser423 may help to figure all this out…

Please…
Not a HP Remote, but on sale at Meritline for $8
http://www.meritline.com/wireless-comput...8cc8386007

Instructions in the review about how to get it working on Linux.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I had my fair share of problems yesterday when I tried to get this thing to work. I had followed all the guidelines to the letter and was still not getting any output when running irw.

So then I decided to try it one last time, remove everything and do the steps over (similar to what habee said here Linky. Worked like a charm! Well, it works at least Wink Have to do some fine tuning because at least one button (Play/Pause combo) doesn't work.
Bumping this partly because I'm curious about how everyone else with these remotes fared since the thread went silent months ago.

So I used to have this remote working under Dharma (Ubuntu 10.4 LTS) before with the Live CD media installation method really peachy back in February of this year. But that was on a different machine. Now I'm on an HP Microserver and while things run fine... lircd v0.8.6 is broken for me with the same software and remote.

I can see that /dev/lirc0 is being created...
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ ls -l /dev/lirc0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 2011-10-19 23:15 /dev/lirc0

If I stop lircd and run
Code:
cat /dev/lirc0
... I can clearly see garbage characters coming in.

So the driver is able to see and parse the remote codes coming in, so I'm amusing nothing is wrong with the kernel driver nor the module loading. So I've isolated the problem to be somewhere in LIRC, lircd, or the rest of the lirc config. I'll be really peeved if the LIRC guys had a regression in their config files or if somehow the Microserver's USB host is fussing with this. I'll note that something seems to have changed with the kernel module's vendor IDs - I don't remember an "eHome" thing ever.

If anyone's got some bright ideas on how to approach troubleshooting this, I'm all ears. I've scoured all over the Internet and my setup and configuration looks identical to a lot of people but it's a no-go with irw for me.

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Microsoft
[sudo] password for xbmc:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:006d Microsoft Corp. eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
  iManufacturer           1 Microsoft
  iProduct                2 Microsoft IR Transceiver
      iInterface              2 Microsoft IR Transceiver

Other relevant info:
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_mceusb"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-34-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 13 19:40:53 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux"

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ lsmod | grep -i lirc
lirc_mceusb            12068  1
lirc_dev                8890  3 lirc_mceusb
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$

Code:
$cat /usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb
begin remote

name        mceusb
  bits                 16
  flags  RC6|CONST_LENGTH
  eps                  30
Replying to my own post but I managed to find the root cause after pulling out my HP MCE Remote instead of the Harmony and rechecking my assumptions. I was under the impression that the Harmony was emitting the same codes as the HP MCE Remote because I had it setup as such in the Logitech software and it was working before under both Linux (on a different machine but still with Dharma LiveCD) and Windows, but this was apparently not the case. Fixed that to have the Harmony and everything works peachy with lircd and irw as expected.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP MCE Remote kit on Dharma Live1