Dual screen setup - but no multi tasking?
Have the latest XBMC running on a Dell ZINO HD. The Zino has an on-board VGA card and I have added a ATI Radeon™ HD 4330 512 MB HDMI card. The VGA output drives a Packard Bell Viseo T200 touch screen, the HDMI output drives a AC receiver and - via the receiver - a Samsung 40" LED screen. The Dell runs Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

I have XBMC configured to display on the second screen in 1040p. On the first screen I have my Windows desktop.

I would love to be able to have the XBMC running and showing a movie and be able to browse the web on the other screen. However, if I touch the touch screen, XBMC stops showing the movie and simply quits...

Is it possible to multi task?

Would be great to get an answer. Thanks !
Eternity_rules Wrote:Have the latest XBMC running on a Dell ZINO HD. The Zino has an on-board VGA card and I have added a ATI Radeon™ HD 4330 512 MB HDMI card. The VGA output drives a Packard Bell Viseo T200 touch screen, the HDMI output drives a AC receiver and - via the receiver - a Samsung 40" LED screen. The Dell runs Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

I have XBMC configured to display on the second screen in 1040p. On the first screen I have my Windows desktop.

I would love to be able to have the XBMC running and showing a movie and be able to browse the web on the other screen. However, if I touch the touch screen, XBMC stops showing the movie and simply quits...

Is it possible to multi task?

Would be great to get an answer. Thanks !

Settings>System
Use full screen window rather than true full screen.

That should do the trick. You might want to hide the taskbar though if you plan on using it on the primary monitor because it will show the taskbar as soon as you try to click on your browser.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:Settings>System
Use full screen window rather than true full screen.

That should do the trick. You might want to hide the taskbar though if you plan on using it on the primary monitor because it will show the taskbar as soon as you try to click on your browser.

By default XBMC uses a DirectX mode that is fast, but won't share the display with any other app. That's why XBMC minimises as soon as anything else gets the focus. The "Use a fullscreen window ..." setting uses a different DirectX mode that will share the display with other apps, but it's a bit slower. Depending on your hardware you may notice the slowdown. Try it and see.

JR
Ha, that was easy. It is working great! Kids are watching a movie and I can look up stuff with Firefox on the other screen. Cool !

One more question.... I control the XBMC with a Logitech Mini Dinovo bluetooth keyboard. If I run XBMC and am browsing the web, the controller is probably set to the active screen; it does not operate the XBMC anymore... Is there a way to set a controller to be dedicated to the XBMC (or second screen)?

Even if that is not possible....I am still happy with the multi tasking working!
I am also interested in doing something similar
Eternity_rules Wrote:Ha, that was easy. It is working great! Kids are watching a movie and I can look up stuff with Firefox on the other screen. Cool !

One more question.... I control the XBMC with a Logitech Mini Dinovo bluetooth keyboard. If I run XBMC and am browsing the web, the controller is probably set to the active screen; it does not operate the XBMC anymore... Is there a way to set a controller to be dedicated to the XBMC (or second screen)?

Even if that is not possible....I am still happy with the multi tasking working!

Your Dinovo does have a Green Start Button, by default it should start WMCE and if you have not changed it just check my Green start button section on my site. Follow the instructions on this section only and you should be able to start XBMC and bring back focus to it by just pressing the Green start button.

If it does not work then your Green Start button is not sending the correct keyboard shortcut, try to change your green start button to send:

Windows-alt-enter

I do not know how to use logitech RF/BT remotes/mini keyboards but if you do it right then that should work because it's still the same default Keyboard shortcut for WMCE. But by using my script you will have better control over XBMC. :-)

Regards,
EG.
Thanks for the reply Elitegamer360!

I tried what you suggested, but I am not sure if I did it ricght. Hitting the green button start Windows Media Center... (so obviously... I cocked up).
I had a problem finding the startup folder for all users. On my 64 Win7 system the folders are named differently...

Anyway, I remember my Logitech keyboard came with some software to alter the keys and options. I think starting with that should cure the problem too..?
Eternity_rules Wrote:Thanks for the reply Elitegamer360!

I tried what you suggested, but I am not sure if I did it ricght. Hitting the green button start Windows Media Center... (so obviously... I cocked up).
I had a problem finding the startup folder for all users. On my 64 Win7 system the folders are named differently...

Anyway, I remember my Logitech keyboard came with some software to alter the keys and options. I think starting with that should cure the problem too..?

Just go to your start menu navigate using All programs, scroll down to "Startup" then right click on it and select Open all users.

In the opened window just paste the .ahk script here so that every time you start windows it will load. But for the first time you have to double click on It to activate it. I presume that you installed Autohotkey as instructed on site and you downloaded the right x64 script. There are 2 but both are marked, one for x32 and one for x64.

I do not know If your bT mini keyboard can send keyboard shortcut keys, if it can't then this might not be possible for your Dinovo.

If you follow the instructions step by step you can't go wrong but as I said depends on your bt mini keyboard.

This has been downloaded over a thousand times & no one reported any issues.

Cheers,
EG.
I did what was mentioned on the site. As I could not find the right directory, I right clicked to find the properties of the startup folder (has Dell Dock and UltraMon in it atm). After I pasted the downloaded script file in that directory, it showed up in the startup section. I presume I did that right.

I installed AHK, via the first link and selected the 64 bit version during installation. After that I double clicked the script in de startup folder. But pressing the Green Button did non do anything...so I uninsytalled all.

I will try again tomorrow, doing it all over again!

BTW
Is this program a | next step" of the script mentioned by you? It also mentions Autohotkey...
Eternity_rules Wrote:I did what was mentioned on the site. As I could not find the right directory, I right clicked to find the properties of the startup folder (has Dell Dock and UltraMon in it atm). After I pasted the downloaded script file in that directory, it showed up in the startup section. I presume I did that right.

I installed AHK, via the first link and selected the 64 bit version during installation. After that I double clicked the script in de startup folder. But pressing the Green Button did non do anything...so I uninsytalled all.

I will try again tomorrow, doing it all over again!

BTW
Is this program a | next step" of the script mentioned by you? It also mentions Autohotkey...

It sounds like your green start button is not sending a keyboard shortcut combination or this does not work over BT! If I were you, I would go to logitech settings panel and find out what the green start button send. "I'm just saying though :-), I do not know how this thing works or is there a way to remap buttons?"

The thing you said earlier that it starts WMCE so it's actualy sending some kind of a command over BT but is it processed by some other application or i.e. Logitech driver/software, I'm not sure!

No, I do not know this site. Anyways Autohotkey is a superlight scripting/programming based tool with very powerful tricks up it's sleeve. That's why I use it, it does not make any bad impact whatsoever on the system and it only does what you tell it to do! Otherwise just hides on the background awaiting your orders Smile

Cheers,
EG.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dual screen setup - but no multi tasking?0