• 102(current)
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script
Hey everyone, I'm madly in love with this addon! I've become somewhat obsessed with finding out what channels I want to have and reading about the channels others enjoy. I really like the network based channels, where as my younger brother is fine with just genre based ones and its great that we can really fine tune this to our liking. What really interests me is the directory based channels, though, and using them with video podcasts (And also a music video channel).

I was wondering, with the channel rules you are working on if one of the rules would be to exclude episodes that have been played recently? Excluding episodes that have been played in the last X weeks is something Ive been doing on the channels based on playlists, but it seems like a lot of work to set that up on one of the predefined network channels like NBC, Fox, etc. (As I /think/ the only way is to create a playlist for each show on that network with that rule and then a playlist that includes all of those playlists?) If this isnt planned, then I'll just mess around and try and set it up like that on one of the networks and see how long it takes, but I figured I'd find out first if the rules list youre working on would do it Smile

Thanks again Smile
I haven't come up with any final list of rules yet, but that one seems like a good idea. I have to figure out how to get scheduling working first, which is much harder than I expected, then I'll hit up the forums to see what rules people want.
Channel surfing for your video library
Development Blog Repository
mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

I have made sort of an explanation on page 144 of this thread if you care to look. It will tell you how to do what you want to do in your point number 1.
As for number 2, You need to create a playlist for moves based on whatever ever criteria you want, say genre. Add that to the mixed playlist as described on page 144.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. Ok, I followed your instructions exactly from page 144, copied your code, just replacing the shows and the playlist names to my own, and the problem I'm getting is that it's only playing the same 1 episode for each show. I have, just like you wrote, each single episode playlist set to "airdate" and each mixed playlist set to "random".
lboyce Wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. Ok, I followed your instructions exactly from page 144, copied your code, just replacing the shows and the playlist names to my own, and the problem I'm getting is that it's only playing the same 1 episode for each show. I have, just like you wrote, each single episode playlist set to "airdate" and each mixed playlist set to "random".

I assume that you mean, if you reset the channels, you keep getting the same episode? If so, that is going to be the expected behaviour unless you have watched the show all the way through. Once the show is watched, it should move on to the next show.
Another way to get more than one episode is to increase the number of episodes from 1 to some other number, or repeat the show playlist however many of time you wish, in the channel playlist.

If I am wrong on my assumptions, please let me know and expand on what you are doing and trying to do.

Mark
mwkurt Wrote:I assume that you mean, if you reset the channels, you keep getting the same episode? If so, that is going to be the expected behaviour unless you have watched the show all the way through. Once the show is watched, it should move on to the next show.
Another way to get more than one episode is to increase the number of episodes from 1 to some other number, or repeat the show playlist however many of time you wish, in the channel playlist.

If I am wrong on my assumptions, please let me know and expand on what you are doing and trying to do.

Mark

Hi Mark, I do have the shows repeated in the playlist, but it still gives me the exact same episode, which is, because of the air date order, episode 1. And when I try to change the limit of the episodes it won't air the episodes in their air date order for some reason. It's like the random rule of the mixed playlist supersedes the air date rule of the individual show playlists.

For added clarification, this is generally what I'm getting when the channel is created:
24.S01E01
Fringe.S01E01
Buffy the Vampire Slayer.S01E01
Dexter.S01E01
Fringe.S01E01
24.S01E01

I gotta' say that this is the ONLY frustrating element of this addon. Just the simple fact that no matter what I do I simply cannot get my custom playlists to play in sequential order once in PseudoTV. It makes having a channel with shows like 24, Lost, Dexter, etc. somewhat pointless, cause every time we click on that channel we can't get invested in it because we can't watch it in a serial mode.
What you're trying to do may or may not be possible using some sort of smart playlist wizardry. This will be made much easier in the next version, though. I think I'm going to move the auto-pausing functionality of serial mode into a rule and have "serial mode" be renamed so that it just plays episodes in order. Using that, plus a not-yet-existing rule, you should be able to do what you want.

Anyway, keep your eyes open for version 2, coming...i really don't know when. When I'm happy with it.

Speaking of which, since this is such a large version upgrade, are there any artists that want to design a new PseudoTV logo, or at least update the current? I'd like to give some visual change to go along with the significant under-the-hood changes. If you're interested, sent me something an I'll pick the best!
Jason102 Wrote:What you're trying to do may or may not be possible using some sort of smart playlist wizardry. This will be made much easier in the next version, though. I think I'm going to move the auto-pausing functionality of serial mode into a rule and have "serial mode" be renamed so that it just plays episodes in order. Using that, plus a not-yet-existing rule, you should be able to do what you want.

Anyway, keep your eyes open for version 2, coming...i really don't know when. When I'm happy with it.

Speaking of which, since this is such a large version upgrade, are there any artists that want to design a new PseudoTV logo, or at least update the current? I'd like to give some visual change to go along with the significant under-the-hood changes. If you're interested, sent me something an I'll pick the best!

Any rough idea when you want to push the release, I've been working on my skins, they're not done, but I'm leaving for a week tomorrow. If it's after that I'll send you what I've got, if not, oh well.
Nothing to see here....
Jason102 Wrote:What you're trying to do may or may not be possible using some sort of smart playlist wizardry. This will be made much easier in the next version, though. I think I'm going to move the auto-pausing functionality of serial mode into a rule and have "serial mode" be renamed so that it just plays episodes in order. Using that, plus a not-yet-existing rule, you should be able to do what you want.

Jason, thanks for the honesty. I've been trying for the past 2 days and I've generally come to the conclusion that it's just not possible using the smart playlists. And this is certainly the most important feature that I need. I love to watch the old "Lone Ranger" series, and the way that series goes is that there are story arcs over short amounts of episodes. So for instance, Lone Ranger.S01E01, Lone Ranger.S01E02 and Lone Ranger.S01E03 are all a very specific story arc with cliffhangers ("Will the Lone Ranger find Tonto in time? Find out on the next thrilling episode of 'The Lone Ranger'!") and I love having that show in a channel with other shows similar to it like "The Adventures of Superman", but unfortunately, at this time, I can't really do it unless the channel is ONLY that show, which to me, is kind of dull. Same thing goes for shows like "24", where the sequence of episodes is absolutely vital to the enjoyment of the show, but I don't want to have to create a channel of ONLY 24 episodes.

I'm not really sure what your plans are for the next release, but out of curiosity, will the new rules in the configuration tool basically supersede the need for smart playlists? The reason I ask is because the best part of PseudoTV is the ability to completely customize it to your specifications and create endless amounts of finely-tuned channels. I NEVER use the functions in the configuration tool at the moment because the options I get are too broad, and I love to specifically choose which shows (or specific movies by title, for that matter) I want to be displayed in each channel. Will that be possible with the new Channel rules?

So what I'm saying is, will I be able to, in essence, create a channel like "My Wife's Favorite shows", include those specific shows and then choose Serial Mode, and the channel will then function as I'm hoping it will, all without having to touch a smart playlist? To me, this seems like the most obvious progression of the plug-in since it allows the user to customize more specifically for the program itself.

Thanks!
The ability to use a custom smart playlist will remain just as it is. The rules will duplicate a few of the abilities of the smart playlist editor, but really are meant to compliment it. They will primarily be used for things that just can't be done using a normal smart playlist. Fear not, I'm adding flexibility, not removing any!
maybe im missing something but was just wondering why every1 uses this add on when tvtime seems to have more options and plz dont take that offensively Jason102 without your work i dont think tvtime could have been maid im just wondering if im not understanding something i have alot of rss feeds and folders set up in tvtime from what i gather u cant do that with pseudotv but tvtime doesnt seem to be used by many ppl and the creater seems to be gone now so can some1 tell me if rss feeds and folders can be used in pseudotv or anything besides playlist and tyvm for all your hard work Jason102
That has got to be the longest single sentence I've ever seen. Bravo sir.

I think this topic has been covered before. Different people like different things...folder channels and rss feeds aren't important to everyone. I believe there is a handy chart on the first page of the TVTime thread if you need any convincing that it is the one everyone should be using...
Let's also not forget that without Jason and all of the works he's put into PseudoTV, there wouldn't be a TVTime.
I'll second that..Plus Jason102 is slowly but surely ticking the rest of the boxes in that handy chart.. Smile
can we make it so pseudoTV only list watched or unwatched content?
thezoggy Wrote:can we make it so pseudoTV only list watched or unwatched content?

You can do this with your own playlists

Mark
  • 102(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script25