Asrock 3d vision blu ray / Dharma / Aeon - audio does not resume
Hi

I recently treated myself to the Asrock 3d vision. Windows 7 x64, Dharma and Aeon were quickly added.

The setup is to replace a previous HTPC which was much larger, and a little noiser. That one ran on an ATI radeon without any glitches.

I have HDMI out to an Onkyo amp and surround speakers. Display goes to a Samsung 6000 series.

Everything initially seemed fine ... music audio was fine and dolby, DTS, etc passed through without incident. Audio is set to digital / HDMI

However, I noticed there are instances where I have either paused XMBC or left it on a menu for a while and sound doesn't resume.

Examples are:

* pause a movie and when I pick up again, I receive the video but no audio
* leave XMBC on a menu (for example music wall) with nothing playing. After a few minutes when I use the control there is no audio - not even the sounds I would normally get nagivating in XMBC with Aeon.

Stopping and starting XMBC solves the problem. I don't have to restart windows or any other equipment.

Anyone got any ideas? Apart from that the setup is just about perfect.
Hi

I mentioned earlier I was having issues with audio not responding if XBMC has been left alone for a while.

I've done some more tinkering and the issue happens when there has been no audio transmitted over HDMI for a few minutes. When I initiate audio again, it appears the Onyko receiver handshakes and stays on dolby, irrespective.

Fine if I'm playing a dolby movie. Useless if I'm playing music.

This seems specific to XBMC. I've tried other windows apps and it appears to recover automatically. I adjusting the windows audio settings so XBMC does not have exclusive control of audio. However, receive an "audio fails to initialise" error if I do this.

srdegnan Wrote:Hi

I recently treated myself to the Asrock 3d vision. Windows 7 x64, Dharma and Aeon were quickly added.

The setup is to replace a previous HTPC which was much larger, and a little noiser. That one ran on an ATI radeon without any glitches.

I have HDMI out to an Onkyo amp and surround speakers. Display goes to a Samsung 6000 series.

Everything initially seemed fine ... music audio was fine and dolby, DTS, etc passed through without incident. Audio is set to digital / HDMI

However, I noticed there are instances where I have either paused XBMC or left it on a menu for a while and sound doesn't resume.

Examples are:

* pause a movie and when I pick up again, I receive the video but no audio
* leave XBMC on a menu (for example music wall) with nothing playing. After a few minutes when I use the control there is no audio - not even the sounds I would normally get nagivating in XBMC with Aeon.

Stopping and starting XBMC solves the problem. I don't have to restart windows or any other equipment.

Anyone got any ideas? Apart from that the setup is just about perfect.
I am having the exact same issue. I have an onkyo receiver as well but has been doing it ever since XBMC v10 (from what I can recall). Sound is not the only issue, it also happens with the display. Upon waking the PC (or after some time of inactivity) I am unable to get a picture or sound on the TV.

Skin: Night
Card: Nvidia Geforce GT430
XBMC: Dharma
Audio set to HDMI.

Not skin specific. Not graphics card specific. XBMC specific?
Tried some other skins this morning and there's no difference. One thing I have now done which appears to "help"

* In windows I changed the nvidia audio out to 2 speaker rather than my 5.1 setup

Since XBMC still has Dolby/DTS on passthrough, I get full surround. However if the machine has been idle for a while, it now appears to default to PCM stereo now rather than Dolby.

Still not ideal ... and still XBMC specific. Looking around the forums it appears to be due to XBMC only initialising the audio once on start up. It's made worse with Nvidia cards as they will stop the stream if not in use. I didn't have this issue when I had an ATI/HDMI setup.

michaelxtc Wrote:I am having the exact same issue. I have an onkyo receiver as well but has been doing it ever since XBMC v10 (from what I can recall). Sound is not the only issue, it also happens with the display. Upon waking the PC (or after some time of inactivity) I am unable to get a picture or sound on the TV.

Skin: Night
Card: Nvidia Geforce GT430
XBMC: Dharma
Audio set to HDMI.

Not skin specific. Not graphics card specific. XBMC specific?
For me it doesn't matter if it's 2 channel or 5.1. It has done it regardless of the audio settings.
michaelxtc Wrote:For me it doesn't matter if it's 2 channel or 5.1. It has done it regardless of the audio settings.

All I can suggest is

1. stop the power management from letting it go into suspend too early
2. as ever ... look for newer drivers
1. I was hoping to get the pc to go into standby to save power but I guess its not an option if the sound & video won't return.
2. Newest drivers are installed.
off topic i know but just in case any of you are online at the moment

I'm trying to get my asrock vision 3d up and running, im new to xbmc and not dont have great pc skills, but anyhow, i have a keybpard hooked up, im in bios and trying to get it to boot from usb so i can install xbmc live, but theres no usb option in bios any clues how you did it?
Its an Onkyo issue, I have seen this happen with cable boxes too. you lose audio till you change to an HD channel then back again. Its the HDMI board in the Onkyo thats the issue. it doesnt do well with handshakes. they are all finicky for the last few years in all models up to 7 series i think.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asrock 3d vision blu ray / Dharma / Aeon - audio does not resume0