Is the onboard graphic card (in combination with rest) sufficient for 1080p/7.1audio?
Intel i3's on-chip video is enabled when combined with an H55 chipset mobo....
But, i recall having to remove those i3 builds from my little HTPC startup guide
because of some issues users have experienced...

So, im not saying it doesnt work, but it'll might make you scratch your head Tongue

personally, like PatrickVogeli said, if u dont use one yet, get an SSD!!
maxinc Wrote:My bedroom Zboxes with first gen SLC SSDs (100 read / 70 write) boot into XBMC Live in about 15 seconds. The Windows 7 machine took almost 40 seconds with the same SSD and a way faster CPU.

...thats what i mean with slow - if combined with an SSD a startup with Win7 takes > 40 sec..

My system will run with a OCZ SSD Agility 2 60GB, SATA-II, 2,5 Zoll, MLC (max. read: 285 MB/s / max. write: 275 MB/s)

eskro Wrote:Intel i3's on-chip video is enabled when combined with an H55 chipset mobo....
yep, i read that, too - the only question is if the on-chip video is fast enough for 1080p (and some light games, maybe Big Grin)
like i said, google around and see what others say about using the i3 + H55 duet..
but for me, i would avoid....
SwissElite Wrote:yep, i read that, too - the only question is if the on-chip video is fast enough for 1080p (and some light games, maybe Big Grin)

The CPU is fast enough for 1080p.

thx poofy! so, now i think i have my decision (finally, u may think Big Grin)

CPU : Intel Core i3 540 BOX, 3.06GHz, LGA1156, 2C/4T [CHF 119]
MB : Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3, Intel H55, LGA1156, Mini-ITX 123]
Sytem HDD : OCZ SSD Agility 2 60GB, SATA-II, 2,5 Zoll, MLC [CHF 140]
Storage HDD : Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 2TB, SATA-II [CHF 99]
Parity HDD : Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 2TB, SATA-II [CHF 99]
RAM : Kingston ValueRAM, 2x2GB Kit, DDR3-1066, CL7 [CHF 49]
PSU : Seasonic S12II-430 (SS-430GB) Bronze - 430 Watt [CHF 77]

(prices in CHF (almost equal to USD)), no Case includec as I already have one.

Total: 706 CHF

Do you guys see anything that is REALLY wrong (eg. like last time, wrong RAM?)

Thanks for the last feedback Smile
I have an older variant of this and it works like a charm and does everything I want and more for $600

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-DX4320-39-...07&sr=1-20

Sure you could pay slightly less and build your own HTPC but I reckon you can't get more bang for your buck than this with alot less stress (providing you don't need to reply upon the Gateway customer support Smile ).
@ crooksy... dont really see how that is related to my post :S... my build has an intel i3, no dedicated graphic card, a raid system and an SSD as system harddisk... for just 100 bucks more...

again.. does anyone see something terribly wrong in my build? (poofy? eskro? Wink)

thx Smile
SwissElite Wrote:@ crooksy... dont really see how that is related to my post :S... my build has an intel i3, no dedicated graphic card, a raid system and an SSD as system harddisk... for just 100 bucks more...

again.. does anyone see something terribly wrong in my build? (poofy? eskro? Wink)

thx Smile

Sorry I realize my post wasn't related to your post what I meant to say was that the Gateway I have has an onboard graphics card and it handles 1080p and 7.1 just fine.

FYI here's another little box I've also got my eye on Wink http://www.xtreamer.net/
looks like a sweet little machine, i admit Smile

my build is ordered and im waiting now for receiving the components! will report how it works!
soo... finally... it took me a long time but finally i can report the computer is doing just perfect. i had to wait very long for the CPU, all suppliers in my country were out of stock Sad

i was able to set up the RAID without any problems, and also the LG1156 i3 Cpu works good on the H55 board and plays movies in perfect quality.

thanks again for all the feedback various people here contributed!
Best,
SE
what sucks about the mainboard is thta the usb sockets are permanently powered, even when the pc is off... and there is no way in the bios to switch it off.. (at least i havent found it.. wake on usb or similar)
hi guys Smile

below i insert some pictures of my htpc... not the most beautiful one - but thats not relevant because i keep it far away and out of sight, and only have the cables entering the room where i watch movies and listen to music - thus it is a 100% silent computer Wink

My Screen:
My Projector:
My Tools to Control everything:
Old GPS with IR for Switching on and off the light, htpc, projector, ventilation etc
Gesture Sensitive Mouse (Logitech Air MX (wouldnt buy it again))
Cables out of my cinema room:
Hidden HTPC
Front of HTPC
Inside the HTPC
Important statement on the front of the HTPC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is the onboard graphic card (in combination with rest) sufficient for 1080p/7.1audio?0