• 4(current)
[WIP] XBMC Beginners Guide (PDF)
Hey gollumscave

Im a new user and eager to learn about xbmc, i have a wdtv and boxee box, now i'm about to get a htpc and plan to run xbmc on it, so this guide will hopefully save me a lot of time and confusion, i'll read it through and give you an honest opinion of my results, thanks again
tried to urar this on OpenSuse-11.2 says:

UNRAR 3.90 beta 3 freeware Copyright © 1993-2009 Alexander Roshal

XBMC_Beginners_Guide_0.35.rar is not RAR archive
Try downloading it again please... try the other link. I think your download got corrupted. I have over 500 downloads so far and you are the first to report this..
Any plans for a linux and apple version
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

Well most stuff apply's to XBMC and not the underlying
OS - Though a section describing the differences between the OS
could be nice - but maybe not for a newbie ?
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Hi there. I was forced to register to offer my thanks for your efforts on this guide Smile. I can't wait to see the finished product. I agree with the others that it would be better to separate some of the advanced stuff in a separate document. Having said that, I do want to get my greedy paws on all the documents you produce! I hate Wikis and a manual like this is much easier for me to get into.

Just ordered 8TB of storage for my new media server and I can't wait to get started with XBMC. Your guide has been really helpful in understanding the basic mechanics of how things work and what I should try to do with my folder structure. I hope you are able to upload finished versions of your guide soon!

Thanks a ton for all the efforts...and of course a big thanks to all the devs on this project for making such an awesome software.
Looking forward for a final version of the beginner's guide. I like what's been done so far. Any word on when final version be posted?
It would be useful if the sources (MS Word or whatever) could also be posted - in case you don't have time to finish it off.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi All, I haven't died... Just been extremely busy...
I will finish the guide 100 guaranteed, and it will be done soon. I've already redone all the artwork and written most of the parts. Just been very very busy lately and can't do what I promised to do and that is deliver on time...
I really want to finish it myself after which the XBMC Team can modify it as they see fit.

For now just give me a little more time please... I love working on this project, but just have a little less time than usual... I am living in Thailand for the past 6 years and my parents are coming to visit soon so I've been preparing their arrival... Hope you all understand... just wait a little bit longer Wink
Just have to say a big thank you to your guide it made my installation 100% easier. When you finish this it should be posted on the XBMC homepage in downloads or somewhere else, it's that good.Big Grin
Ok, here's what's going on.... I had a small problem with my bootdisk and lost my installation of XBMC... It was a trigger for me to tidy up some stuff in my movies folders spread over my harddisks so I've been doing a lot of maintenance over the last week(s)... I am almost finished re-doing every cover, fanart, nfo, extrathumbs, logos and clearart of my entire collection. I am using Ember revisited and the are some compatibility issues with older version and dharma....
I'm almost done and as an added bonus to the XBMC guide, i will add as a downloadable archive a complete collection of over 150 TVShows and over 1000 Movies... All fanarts, at least 4 extrathumbs, complete NFO's, HI-Res Covers (1000x1500 minimum), as well as clear arts and logo's for the tv shows...
Some covers that just didn't satisfy me that were available on ThemovieDB have been replaced manually by other ones i found on cover forums... So it's really an all manual job... No mass scraping involved....

I'll show you soon... Hang in there!
First off, pleasantries out the way - you're fantastic. God bless you for this guide, not sure where I'd be without it. That wiki is a mind-fuck (apologies for the language, I can't think of an alternative definition). It IS helpful, however I found myself getting mixed up in outdated folder structures and different OS's.

I'd like to say I can pick up most things on computers pretty damn easily. I usually manage to do it the good ol' way, googling and blindly following solutions offered up. This usually solves problems... however with XBMC this has been basically impossible. I installed XBMC yesterday, first time - after a few hours I had all my films/tv shows and music imported and artwork downloaded. This was the easy part. Subsequently, seeing this manual has clarified things ten-fold. All you ever see on this forum (i've browsed for hours!) is complicated "how to's" and complex terms.

Cutting a long story short, (I am going on a bit!). Here's my advice.

- keep doing what you're doing. If I had seen this two days ago it would have been a life-save, it just so happens I'm ridiculously determined at this kind of thing, not many are.

- make it easily available. It took me two days of googling/forum browsing and forum searches to find this, and I found it by accident! Just saying, it's more important than you think. I love XBMC, and so should everyone new!

Kind Regards,

George
@GCWB - welcome. Please move your questions to another thread to allow this thread to focus on the writeup of the beginners guide. Your questions will be answered by others, I have no doubt.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thumbs Up 
Just downloaded and read through the guide - great stuff.

As an xbmc newbie this information gives me confidence to download, install and try out some features on my Windows Vista PC before purchasing an HTPC and installing xbmc on there.
Guide looks great so far. Thanks for the effort. Are you anywhere nearer to getting the next version out? Not rushing you.... just asking because I don't want to print out 48 pages if you will be updating soon. Speaking of printing, someone else mentioned the watermark... although it looks cool it might not be a bad idea to have a version without it so it doesn't suck up as much color ink and toner when printed... just a though.

Thanks again.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] XBMC Beginners Guide (PDF)7