Can't install/run under a "standard user" only Administrator
Just trying to set up my daughter with a PC running XBMC on Windows 7.

I am the administrator and she is a standard user.

If I install XBMC under my username it wont run for her. It also will not install on her username.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve what I want?
Tyler,

It's a windows thing... XBMC stores data in the USERDATA folder. So this folder changes when you login to windows under your daughters name.

When you try to install it under your daughters account windows UAC kicks in. To bypass this you can rightclick on the setup file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. You'll probably be asked for your username and password. Enter YOUR username and password in there, not your daughters...

If this doesn't work please give some more info on what errors you are receiving when you try to install it under your daughters name.

Another option is to temporarily increase your daughters security level. Make her an administrator, install the program, and then demote her back to normal user...

Let me know how it turns out...
XBMC should run in the situation you describe. When you say "If I install XBMC under my username it wont run for her" what do you mean? What error do you get?

JR
I have the same setup for security reasons. I can perform the install under the admin account or the limited user account. They both work.

If I start the installer under the limited account it prompts me for and account with privileges to perform the install.

The only thing that will happen is that settings, skins, preferences, etc. Will not be the same (obviously).

But it should always work... So what exactly happens when you try to run XBMC from the limited account?
not sure if I am correct, but XBMC on a limited account has no WRITE access to the APPDATA or USERDATA folders....

What you might do is right click on the XBMC icon and change properties to RUN AS ADMIN FOR ALL USERS...

this should work
gollumscave Wrote:not sure if I am correct, but XBMC on a limited account has no WRITE access to the APPDATA or USERDATA folders....

You aren't :-)

The whole point of giving users an APPDATA folder is to give them a location where they can create files without endangering the rest of the system. The directory %APPDATA% is one of the few places you can always write to regardless of User Access Control.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't install/run under a "standard user" only Administrator0