[REQUEST] Recompiled XBMC 10.0 with full-screen splash
jhsrennie Wrote:Go to http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/XBMC/ and grab XBMC-fullscreensplash.zip. This contains a modified XBMC.exe that you can copy over a Dharma installation.

In case it's of interest, the change is to Splash.cpp. Change the lines:

Code:
float w = g_graphicsContext.GetWidth() * 0.5f;
  float h = g_graphicsContext.GetHeight() * 0.5f;
  CGUIImage* image = new CGUIImage(0, 0, w*0.5f, h*0.5f, w, h, m_ImageName);

to:

Code:
float w = g_graphicsContext.GetWidth();
  float h = g_graphicsContext.GetHeight();
  CGUIImage* image = new CGUIImage(0, 0, 0, 0, w, h, m_ImageName);

JR
Thanks for the xbmc.exe works like a charm, question is this likely to break with future builds.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
jmarshall Wrote:jhsrennie: if you modify it further to ensure the image is centered regardless of the size, this can hit trunk. You probably need only specify the align attribute(s).

Ah, I must admit I only had a quick look at the code and my impression was that the image would be scaled to fit the screen regardless of the size and shape of the image.

Surely we don't want this in the trunk as it is? At best we'd need an advanced setting for it (to add the hundred thousand random advanced settings that already exist ;-).

Later: @jmarshall: I wonder if we're at cross purposes. My hack always scales the image to be full screen regardless of the image size. Were you thinking that I should render the image at actual size, so a full screen splash could be done by creating an image the same size as the display? This seems a reasonable approach and worth adding to trunk.

JR
paul Wrote:Thanks for the xbmc.exe works like a charm, question is this likely to break with future builds.

I must admit I'm astonished that anyone cares whether the splash image is scaled to the screen or not. Still, I suppose the user is always right :-)

jmarshall has suggested I add this to the trunk XBMC code (though we need to talk about this) and if this is done then it will be supported in future releases, though probably not in 10.1 as that is feature frozen. If it doesn't get into the trunk code I'd be happy to provide a custom build once a year or whenever a new release of XBMC comes out.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I must admit I'm astonished that anyone cares whether the splash image is scaled to the screen or not. Still, I suppose the user is always right :-)

People have been asking for this for a couple years now... I know, I was one of them!

For me, it all goes to enhance the entire feel of XBMC from start to finish. I have two dedicated HTPCs in my home, and another two on my and my Wife's laptops. The dedicated systems boot into XBMC, and nothing looks better than a nicely customized full screen splash, complete with custom music sound, and then to pop into a nice, clean skin, with my own personal tweaks.

jhsrennie Wrote:jmarshall has suggested I add this to the trunk XBMC code (though we need to talk about this) and if this is done then it will be supported in future releases, though probably not in 10.1 as that is feature frozen. If it doesn't get into the trunk code I'd be happy to provide a custom build once a year or whenever a new release of XBMC comes out.

I will be here yearly, if so!

Just a question, recognizing that once compiled, the EXE is closed, would it be possible to put a 'choice' in for people who don't want the full screen splash? I thought we could integrate this into an XML so that you could have a 0/1 lineitem, which, in turn, would change which block of code would be used... I'm not certain, but the EXE should be able to read a variable from an external source, shouldn't it?
jhsrennie Wrote:I must admit I'm astonished that anyone cares whether the splash image is scaled to the screen or not. Still, I suppose the user is always right :-)

jmarshall has suggested I add this to the trunk XBMC code (though we need to talk about this) and if this is done then it will be supported in future releases, though probably not in 10.1 as that is feature frozen. If it doesn't get into the trunk code I'd be happy to provide a custom build once a year or whenever a new release of XBMC comes out.

JR
Sounds good to me, i intend on sticking with dharma10 for the foreseeable future as it does all i need without crashing, so a new build once a year with the full screen splash option is cool by me. many thanks for this, it makes my setup complete. (just need to create a custom splash)SmileSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:many thanks for this, it makes my setup complete. (just need to create a custom splash)SmileSmile

There's a nice .psd in this thread for a starting point: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60196
-stoli-
jhsrennie Wrote:...Were you thinking that I should render the image at actual size, so a full screen splash could be done by creating an image the same size as the display? This seems a reasonable approach and worth adding to trunk.
JR
I think this should be the proper method. But what would happen if someone made a graphic larger than the actual screen size?
kricker Wrote:I think this should be the proper method. But what would happen if someone made a graphic larger than the actual screen size?

When I thought about it all sorts of problems emerged. For example the logo would take up different areas of the screen for different display resolutions. I think the only good solution would be a switch in advancedsettings.xml, but I'm deeply suspicious of the design philosophy that deals with every design decision by adding another option for it.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:When I thought about it all sorts of problems emerged. For example the logo would take up different areas of the screen for different display resolutions. I think the only good solution would be a switch in advancedsettings.xml, but I'm deeply suspicious of the design philosophy that deals with every design decision by adding another option for it.

If you go simple, and dictate the information, then there shouldn't be too many options which would cause a problem. For example, I believe the standard formats would be 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10, so 'advising' users that they would need to keep a formatted image within which of these constraints you define would be acceptable.

TL;DR: Tell people they need to make their image 1280x768 for 720p, or 1920x1080 for 1080p, and be done with it.
@jhsrennie: "Simple":

1. Set skin res to 720p (this basically sets up the GUI scaling - you can do this via a call to SetScalingResolution - it's possibly already being done).
2. Set Image attributes to <aspectratio>center</aspectratio>, image dimensions to 0,0,1280,720.
3. Profit?

That will render the current texture exactly as it is, and will render a fullscreen (720p) texture exactly as it is.

If folk whine about it not being able to use a 1080p image, we tell them to STFU and get a life Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I guess I do not understand the intricate nature of it all. Right now the image is centered and displayed at 1/2 height 1/2 width of the display resolution. Can this not just be set to show the image at it's native size and centered? If User A wants to create his own splash screen then they can figure out what there resolution they are running XBMC at and create the image appropriately. It'll be up to the user to create the proper size image. Otherwise the default splash screen should look the same as it is now.
That won't work, as what we want is the default splash to show centred regardless of the resolution. Thus, we use the builtin scaling by telling the UI that the image was designed for 720p. If it's 1280x720 it'll be fullscreen. If it's 640x360 it'll be centred exactly as it is now. Nice and simple.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hello,
I went to http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/XBMC/ but for some reason the modified xbmc.exe file is no longer there. If someone could post it it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Nitefour
nitefour Wrote:Hello,
I went to http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/XBMC/ but for some reason the modified xbmc.exe file is no longer there. If someone could post it it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Nitefour

I've removed it pending proper integration of the feature into the trunk.

However if you look now there is a custom build for checking the "freeze on shutdown" bug and this coincidentally has the fullscreen splash mod in it.

JR
Thank you, it works like a charm.

Nitefour

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Recompiled XBMC 10.0 with full-screen splash0