Help with Tiny Tweaks for Accessibility by Novices
First off, I LOVE THIS SKIN! I have been using this skin for my HTPC since it began.

The wife on the other hand is hesitant to begin using XBMC because she thinks it would be too complicated. My goal is to make it as Accessible as possible for her.

I started with Night which has a wonderful look, and navigation is easy.

I added an Microsoft (XBOX) Wireless 360 Controller for ease of use.

My goal is to have button/navigation instructions incorporated into the screen for easy navigation. My thought is that it would only require some tweaks to the skin's overlay graphics... but I am not a skinning professional.

My question is, is there somewhere I can download and play with the original graphics for Night? (Everywhere I have looked has the Textures.xbt already compiled)

I have drafted and attached an image that looks like something I would like to accomplish. If I have access to the various overlays, I am confident I can adjust some of the menus to have more navigational instructions.

I am more than willing to share what I create with the people here if they are interested in something similar.

Once again, thanks for all your hard work. The Skin is my favorite!

Personally Created Stock Footage and Animated Videos for Backgrounds or Screensavers
100+ video files can all be found on my blog: Beachfront B-Roll. All are free.
The clips are a simple "Right click, save" and there is no signup or registering required either.
Due to a bug in XBMC I havent been able to update the Repo version of Night. Until then you can get a current version, and all the textures, by:

Using XBMC Passion and get a .zip version. Or there is a XBMC Passion addon you can install that addon then get Night thru that addon...

Or use GIT to get it, it's real easy heres a tutorial...

But really checking "Kiosk Mode" in skin settings really helps keeps things user friendly and keeps novices from getting lost by accidently wandering into menus/options....

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes Kiosk Mode is a must, but really it is remembering the what buttons to press that in tripping her up. haha.

I tried Passion, but the .zip file I got already had the textures.xbt compiled Sad
and the Add-on pulled the textures.xbt as well.

I will see if I can Get it through GIT and see if there is any change.

Thanks again for the info
Personally Created Stock Footage and Animated Videos for Backgrounds or Screensavers
The clips are a simple "Right click, save" and there is no signup or registering required either.
Yes GIT definitely has the images uncompressed...

Git has worked! Next Question, in case anyone else is interested in it. Can I create an .xbt file once I am done tweaking the originals and store it next to your textures.xbt as a separate theme? That way the button display would be selectable in the settings menu, and users would be able to toggle the OSD?

This is going to be great!!
Beachfront Wrote:Git has worked! Next Question, in case anyone else is interested in it. Can I create an .xbt file once I am done tweaking the originals and store it next to your textures.xbt as a separate theme? That way the button display would be selectable in the settings menu, and users would be able to toggle the OSD?

This is going to be great!!

Yes, how to do it? I never tried actually, theres a thread in the skin development somewhere on it though...Just name it whatever.xbt and it'll appear under themes...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Tiny Tweaks for Accessibility by Novices0