Slight Judder with VDPAU
Whoa...this thread has gotten away from what I am experiencing.

Mine is a single frame "skip" that does not even register as a frame drop. My wife actually does not notice it (I wish it was the same for me, of course my wife also thinks dvd looks about the same as blu-ray...)

So, I have played with driver roll back. Went through the last 5 drivers.. issue actually got worse! (even more convincing me of VDPAU)

Played with BIOS settings, since my sata controller and my NIC are on the PCI bus, I decided to adjust the latency. Was set at 64, got better setting at 128, even better at 160...so I went for broke, set it at 255. Yikes! It all went to hell. Reset it at 160 cycles.

It is still there, but but less often so I guess I can live with it. What is annoying is my $70 WD Live Plus box plays back flawlessly..and that is over a upnp stream! And of course my BluRay player play w/o a hiccup.

It is all really disappointing, since I was really looking to ditch all physical media (keep it as a backup, but put everything on the spinning discs). As of now, it is not possible; I still need my Blu-ray player for reference playback.

Interesting the "slow-down" issues everyone else seems do have does not plague me? I have turn off all power-saving. So both my GPU and CPU are running full bore (my machine is in a different room with 50ft of HDMI cable, so noise is not an issue) Could the stutter people are having be from their machine ramping to play more intensive video?

My wife is SO happy I have finished my thesis so I can waste all my time on something that she cannot see! Smile </sarcasm>
See if this help you with those momentary skips. In my case I need to tweak a custom modeline in xorg to iron out the very small frame rate mismatch that caused those skips. Scroll to the second post in order to avoid my rant and get the meat of the discussion.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91013

This will not help if you're having actual frames dropping.

If you don't have modelines in your xorg.conf to work with you can try the standard 24 or 23.976 modes I've listed, or you can create them based on what the nvidia driver extracted from the EDID it received from your tv. The sequence of numbers nvidia outputs in those log lines is just a mode line broken out into multiple pairs of numbers.

Hope it helps.

--Chris
simonp Wrote:See if this help you with those momentary skips. In my case I need to tweak a custom modeline in xorg to iron out the very small frame rate mismatch that caused those skips. Scroll to the second post in order to avoid my rant and get the meat of the discussion.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91013

This will not help if you're having actual frames dropping.

If you don't have modelines in your xorg.conf to work with you can try the standard 24 or 23.976 modes I've listed, or you can create them based on what the nvidia driver extracted from the EDID it received from your tv. The sequence of numbers nvidia outputs in those log lines is just a mode line broken out into multiple pairs of numbers.

Hope it helps.

--Chris

Wow, Chris. I think you have hit the nail on the head with what you are seeing. I will tackle this tomorrow. I am 2 martinis down right now and I have learned the hard way, troubleshooting and alcohol do not mix!

Side note, just for poops and giggles I turned off frame rate matching (ie everything is at 1080p60) and the "issue" went away.

I was thinking maybe VDPAU is incorrectly using 2:3 pulldown all the time, even if the source is 24p. But, now, Chris, you have me dismissing that idea right away. I am sure what you experience is what I am. The thing about your gf not noticing sold me! (my wife thinks I am crazy!)

- Mark
Chris, well cluck me!

You totally fixed the issue for me!!!!!

Thank your for your post with its excellent write-up!

Whew, now back to ripping my Blu-rays!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slight Judder with VDPAU0