How do I find files etc
I have downloaded xbmc to play high resolution music downloads (24/48 and upwards) from Pristine Audio, but I don't seem able to find any way of doing something so simple as browsing my desktop via xmbc - where the download folders are located - and I am sure this must be me being stupid! Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also the programme seems to take up the entire screen when it is opened and pressing escape has no effect. Again can anyone tell me how to do this?

I use Windows Vista Home Premium.

Please bear in mind that I have no knowledge of a lot of the stuff that is talked about on forums such as this. To me a computer is simply a tool, so if anyone can help, please don't use language and terms that will mean nothing to me!

Thanks

Rob
This should be a good starting point: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide
-stoli-
barbirolli Wrote:I have downloaded xbmc to play high resolution music downloads (24/48 and upwards) from Pristine Audio, but I don't seem able to find any way of doing something so simple as browsing my desktop via XBMC - where the download folders are located - and I am sure this must be me being stupid! Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also the programme seems to take up the entire screen when it is opened and pressing escape has no effect. Again can anyone tell me how to do this?

I use Windows Vista Home Premium.

Please bear in mind that I have no knowledge of a lot of the stuff that is talked about on forums such as this. To me a computer is simply a tool, so if anyone can help, please don't use language and terms that will mean nothing to me!

Thanks

Rob

If you are looking for a simple program that does nothing but play music files, XBMC may not be for you. That being said, I hope you stick around long enough to find out why the program is amazing and offers a lot more than simply playing music files.

XBMC is a complete media center, and as such is designed to take over the entire screen.

In order to add music to the XBMC library you need to add your music sources, then scan them to the library. This will offer you rich media such as artist information, album covers, etc.

You should probably reference the music section of the wiki for additional information.
Hitting / will take you out of fullscreen mode if you are in it. Then change the window size by dragging it just as any other window. You can browse files on your PC by going to settings on the main menu and pressing right to open the submenu. There you can choose the file browser and browse away. Tom the file browser you will only be able to execute files XBMC understands which is mainly audio,video, image and music files.
actually it's not the "/" key but the "\" key that will take you out of fullscreen mode...

I disagree with blacklist in saying that XBMC maybe is not for you. I know plenty of people who use XBMC just for audio playback because it has such a nice interface.
Browsing your desktop isn't so difficult and can be accomplished in 2 different ways. First of all I need to tell you to PLEASE NOT STORE DATA ON YOUR DESKTOP.
First of all it makes your computer slower if you have loads of stuff stored on your desktop.
Secondly, since you are a beginning user for whom a computer is just a tool, when you want to go to the location on your hard disk where the files are ACTUALLY STORED, it's a pain in the @$$ to find it. Please create a folder on another drive or partition (like D:\) or anything you might have. If you don't then just create a new folder on your C: drive to store your music.

This just works better for you in the long run. If you decide to re-install windows someday, you can easily wipe the C drive and install a fresh copy without having to worry that you lose your documents and files. I personally never store anything in "my document" or "my music" or on the c: drive at all, just because i not want to lose any data when i choose to re-install windows...

Now, to get to your problem on browsing your desktop,
Easiest thing to do is to create a new media source. You can find how to do that in the Manual i am writing at the moment. It's a beginners manual and I have started to write it 3-4 days ago so it's far from complete. Browse to the MUSIC section in the library to find all the information you need.

The second thing what you can do is use the "file manager" from XBMC.
In the main menu "assuming you have a standard installation without any changes to the skin" please go to the SYSTEM option on the bottom of the menu and press the "RIGHT" key.
This will open up a submenu with the option "FILE MANAGER" listed.

In the file manager click on "ADD SOURCE" to add your desktop to it.
Next click on "BROWSE" This opens up a browser where you have to browse to your desktop.
Assuming you have windows, browse to:
1 - c:
2 - USERS
3 - (your username)
4 - DESKTOP
then click OK, and OK again.

Now you can see DESKTOP in the list of folders on your screen.
You can click it and browse it. This is what you wanted right?

Adding it as a music source is easier in my opinion. just download the manual i am writing here

P.S. I am uploading the new version of the manual right now. check your filename, it should at least be version 0.35 or higher. If you have a lower version the upload hasn't completed yet and try again in 5 minutes...
gollumscave Wrote:actually it's not the "/" key but the "\" key that will take you out of fullscreen mode...
Correct thank you. I replied from my iPod which has no "\" button and I type it from muscle memory without realizing if it is "/" or "\".
Hi, thanks, but I have no idea what 'builds' are and like I said I just want a programme that will play high resolution flacs. Rob
Thanks, have now accessed the desktop and imported the files I need. Rob
Hi, thanks, album covers are of no interest to me. I review classical LPs and CDs etc and Pristine Audios very high resolution flacs are interesting examples of digital remasterings. Obviously any digital remasterings of good quailty stereo sources will be inferior, but Pristine have produced exceptional remasterings of pre 1956 sources.
gollumscave Wrote:actually it's not the "/" key but the "\" key that will take you out of fullscreen mode...

I disagree with blacklist in saying that XBMC maybe is not for you. I know plenty of people who use XBMC just for audio playback because it has such a nice interface.
Browsing your desktop isn't so difficult and can be accomplished in 2 different ways. First of all I need to tell you to PLEASE NOT STORE DATA ON YOUR DESKTOP.
First of all it makes your computer slower if you have loads of stuff stored on your desktop.
Secondly, since you are a beginning user for whom a computer is just a tool, when you want to go to the location on your hard disk where the files are ACTUALLY STORED, it's a pain in the @$$ to find it. Please create a folder on another drive or partition (like D:\) or anything you might have. If you don't then just create a new folder on your C: drive to store your music.

This just works better for you in the long run. If you decide to re-install windows someday, you can easily wipe the C drive and install a fresh copy without having to worry that you lose your documents and files. I personally never store anything in "my document" or "my music" or on the c: drive at all, just because i not want to lose any data when i choose to re-install windows...

Now, to get to your problem on browsing your desktop,
Easiest thing to do is to create a new media source. You can find how to do that in the Manual i am writing at the moment. It's a beginners manual and I have started to write it 3-4 days ago so it's far from complete. Browse to the MUSIC section in the library to find all the information you need.

The second thing what you can do is use the "file manager" from XBMC.
In the main menu "assuming you have a standard installation without any changes to the skin" please go to the SYSTEM option on the bottom of the menu and press the "RIGHT" key.
This will open up a submenu with the option "FILE MANAGER" listed.

In the file manager click on "ADD SOURCE" to add your desktop to it.
Next click on "BROWSE" This opens up a browser where you have to browse to your desktop.
Assuming you have windows, browse to:
1 - c:
2 - USERS
3 - (your username)
4 - DESKTOP
then click OK, and OK again.

Now you can see DESKTOP in the list of folders on your screen.
You can click it and browse it. This is what you wanted right?

Adding it as a music source is easier in my opinion. just download the manual i am writing here

P.S. I am uploading the new version of the manual right now. check your filename, it should at least be version 0.35 or higher. If you have a lower version the upload hasn't completed yet and try again in 5 minutes...
Hi Gollum,

I have downloaded your instruction manual, and when I get chance, will look at it and give you some feedback from a tyros viewpoint.

Rob

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I find files etc0