Blu-ray ISO image (UDF 2.5/2.6) playback support in XBMC - help discussion thread
Now that this is working in development builds, I figured we should have a thread outside the dev forum to discuss issues and submit bug reports and feature requests.

Just to be clear, this is the parsing of Blu-Ray ISO files directly within XBMC, these are full decrypted backup images of the retail movie. Menus are not supported and they will probably never be. This simply loads a Blu-Ray ISO and plays the main movie, that's it.

What works:
Windows and Linux builds, have not tested it on Mac/AppleTV platforms.
Movie chapters from the Blu-Ray disc seems to work just fine
Audio stream switches
Only subtitles included on the disc and those downloaded from the subtitles addon seems to show. A subtitle with the same name as the ISO file is not automatically loaded. (Thanks ashlar!)

What doesn't work:
Menus! DO NOT ASK WHEN THIS WILL CHANGE.
It's finicky with some movies, for instance American Gangster only plays a menu still for about half a second before quitting.

Screenshot:
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
Hello

Got it to work too.
Tested some BR. I have some IMAX BR. 3D and 2D all seems to be working fine.
BR ISO of G.I. Joe doesn't start.
I will check out more.
I could test some more ISOs. From 32 ISOs so far only 3 are working.

If i mount the ISO and play the m2ts files manually it works.
So i assume libblueray can't find the main movie inside the iso.

A friend could test about 20 ISOs. In the xbmc.log you can see access violations at different adresses
Access violation at 0x02de4750: Reading location 0x00000045
Access violation at 0x02e00d74: Reading location 0x106ab6cc
Access violation at 0x03fc4750: Reading location 0x00000045

Any ideas?
Post a debug log and I'll do my best... I'll be testing each and every one of my Blu-Ray ISOs tonight and seeing which ones failed and why.
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
Just tried this with a full 43GB rip of Minority Report and it worked great.

Used ImgBurn to create the .iso, and it includes the DTS-HD Master audio track, but XBMC can't decode it (at least, to my newb knowledge it can't), so it defaults to lossy DTS 5.1. Video seemed to playback well, including chapters. Subs also worked.

I didn't watch the entire movie to check for any audio sync problems, but this looks extremely promising! Thanks for your efforts, Philmatic.
you should thank the correct people - the nice guys over at boxee.
spiff Wrote:you should thank the correct people - the nice guys over at boxee.

Agreed...
A friend could test some more BR ISO with debug on.
Where do i post the debug log?
It's a zip file (~400kb) with 35MB of XBMC.log.
For those of you having problems with certain .iso. Have you tried re-ripping? I had a couple (wallace and gromit complete collection and princess bride) that had would not open in XBMC but would mount and work with all other programs.

When I re-ripped both (I slowed down the rip just for kicks) they worked fine. This may be unique to my setup but I thought I'd pass that along. I'm using anydvdHD and ImgBurn

M
First off all -- this is fantastic

I have tried a few of my BR Iso's but i have one that gives troubles.
Its a BR Iso from the movie Cars (disney), it is working but after a few minutes the video slows down and starts stuttering, its the same after i ffwwd and rewind.
Does someone have the same problems ?
This BR Iso worked fine on a standalone networktank

Tobas
I've tried all 46 of my Blu-Ray ISOs and the ONLY one I have a problem with is "American Gangster". It seems to have to do with a problematic M2TS file that's reporting a length of 3 hours when it is only 8MB in size. It also happens to be the still image I see when attempting to play it. My thought is that when XBMC is trying the find the longest file, it is finding that fake 3 hour M2TS file and playing that, which is less than 1 second in length.

@spiff: Is XBMC parsing the index.bdmv or MovieObject.bdmv file or is it looking in the stream folder for the longest file and playing that?

I will re-rip the movie tomorrow night and report back with what I see. Otherwise, this feature is working extremely well.
Hello

I have a very long logfile. About 35MB.
I uploaded the ziped file to RS.
http://rapidshare.com/files/446005075/xbmc.zip
Maybe it's helpful to find the reason why most of my friends ISOs aren't working.

@Philmatic is this ok or do i have to post this logfile at the Bug Tracker?

thx for the help all you guys
_Andy_ Wrote:Hello

I have a very long logfile. About 35MB.
I uploaded the ziped file to RS.
http://rapidshare.com/files/446005075/xbmc.zip
Maybe it's helpful to find the reason why most of my friends ISOs aren't working.

@Philmatic is this ok or do i have to post this logfile at the Bug Tracker?

thx for the help all you guys

The 35MB log was too big to be useful... try this:

Start XBMC
Wait about 15 seconds for things to wind down
Directly navigate and attempt to play a problematic BD ISO
Once it fails, close out XBMC and upload THAT log to PasteBin
I re-ripped American Gangster with AnyDVD HD this time (I used DVD Fab last time) and I get the same exact error. It's just not parsing index.bdmv correctly. Can anyone take a look at this for me? Does anyone have American Gangster working?

Debug log: http://pastebin.com/rgTH1RCu
What am I missing. Every time I try to play a BD the native DVD player tries to play it and errors onn dvdnav_open. Do I need to install the libbluray? Make changes to playercorefactory.xml?

Thanks!

Win7 64-bit | AMD Athlon X2 4850e | 780G Chipset | 2 GB RAM | ATI Radeon 3200 | XBMC 10.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu-ray ISO image (UDF 2.5/2.6) playback support in XBMC - help discussion thread0