Blu-ray ISO image (UDF 2.5/2.6) playback support in XBMC - help discussion thread
pyrodex Wrote:It's not about the HD Audio at this point, its a question of lost of functionality. Was there ever an intention to allow users who utilize the .ISO playback method to be able to recover from last played point much like they can today with standalone file method.
your previous message said you can't wait for hd audio. if you can't wait, there is an option.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:your previous message said you can't wait for hd audio. if you can't wait, there is an option.

By can't wait it was an expression similar to:

"Oh boy I can't wait until Futurama is back on the air!"
HTPC(s): All running LibreELEC
  • AMD 2200G APU on Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
NAS: FreeNAS (Latest Stable) | NFS/CIFS
Hallo, who of you utilizes to play bluray-isos under linux-xbmc with succes and without errors?
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
pyrodex Wrote:In the past I would use something like ClownBD and extra the longest playlist into a .m2ts file. This has worked fine minus the HD-Audio codecs (Coming soon, can't wait). This allowed me to pause the video in the Den and then migrate upstairs to the bedroom to finish a movie where we left off. However utilizing the new .ISO feature for blu-ray discs seems to have lost this option. Is this even possible or am I asking for to much?

This works and always has worked for me, except the progress isn't recorded on a pause event. Only when you quit the movie, will it write to the database with your current position. XBMC has always behaved this way for me.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
hoppel118 Wrote:Hallo, who of you utilizes to play bluray-isos under linux-xbmc with succes and without errors?
i don't know because i never use linux. it works fine with w7.
This is just great! .iso blrays with DTS-HD! Big Grin

Im so happy! But greedy as i am im wondering about something more. im trying to find a good program to rip my blurays to iso files. and iv come across this program here:

DVDFab Blu-ray copy

The great thing with this program from what i can see and what i need is the possibility to select audio and video tracks. i only want the English DTS-HD track i dont care about the "dubbed versions", same goes for the subtittles, i only want english and norwegian if possible. And that i can do here.

The only problem i see for now is to be able to chose the right video track. sometimes there are to many to chose from and they all look the same with the same length...

And one last question how is it with 3D support? will i be able to copy a 3D bluray to iso and play with 3D?
Can anyone please point me into the right direction how to get this working for Ubuntu with Dharma? And then I mean without the risk of distroying a (almost) perfectly working HTPC.

thanks
This is only possible with pre eden, not with dharma! Greetings
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
I recently switched from the nightly builds to the beta 1 of Eden and retried BluRay ISO playback.

It works very well. I'm using a MacMini (DVI TO HDMI output and toslink for sound) so I cannot get DTS-HD-MA and just DTS but it's a limitation from the macMini and OSX Lion.

Anyway I used DVDFab BluRay Copy to rip blurays to ISO. I did not removed any files so it's perfect clone of the original without protection. I end up with a 47 gb file and can start to play the movie directly from the Movies section of XBMC.

As stated in the fist post there are some small and bigger limitation :

- no menus -> no bonus
- more annoying, XBMC does not seems to handle video angles in blurays. This can be an issue with some movies as angles are often used to show localized part of the movies : example : there is an English angle in "stars war ep II" that display the famous yellow moving title at the beginning of the movie. There are also a French, Italian and German... Angles that display the same movie but with appropriate titles in other languages.

Many anim movies are using angles to display localized content. Example : Wall-e, multiple angles, one for each languages.

- as there is no menu - it's sometimes very very hard to find the correct subtitle in some movies. Stars war again : there are multiple subtitles available for each language and no way to differentiate them (you have 4 to 5 diffrents subtitle in French : normal, forced, comments from Lucas, for people with hearing disease... And they all appear as "French 1/17, French 6/17). Same thing for English, Italian...

By today BluRay support in XBMC is somewhat very basic but it works well.

Thanks to all the XBMC team for this amazing software.
MacMini (end 2014) - Core i7 3Ghz - 16Gb - Intel Iris 1536Mb
macOS 10.12.6
Kodi 17 + Testing Kodi 18b3

Just to be clear, Blu-Ray ISO support does not introduce any additional audio format or bitstreaming support. The ONLY thing it does, is parse the Blu-Ray .iso file and play what it assumes is the main feature. There is no menu support, there is no angle support, there is no DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD support other than what XBMC already supports.

If you're concerned about audio, bistreaming and codec support, you need to follow the AudioEngine project. This will not be part of Eden, but will be part of Frodo (XBMC's 2012 cycle release).
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
If you want all the options (menu, DTS-HD/TrueHD, etc) in original blu-ray disc, you'll need external player for playback and you still can use XBMC for front-end. You can use my guide in this thread- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
Yes, we know... you've already posted that in this thread.
Philmatic Wrote:Yes, we know... you've already posted that in this thread.
I don't remember suggested or posted any external player in this thread other than post #56.
Is UDF 2.5 required for playing a BD iso file with xbmc? I used mkisofs, which creates only an UDF 2.0 iso file and it didn't play in xbmc, while all the files of the mounted iso file looked good for me. I can also start the main movie file manually and it plays.
I'm on Windows 7.
Regards,
--Alex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu-ray ISO image (UDF 2.5/2.6) playback support in XBMC - help discussion thread0