Comparison of atom cpus
Is there a noticeable difference between an atom 330, atom 510 and an atom 525? I apologize if this is a dumb question.
Its not a dumb question, not in the least.

The answer is that no, there isn't a big difference. Like less than 10%.

Can any of them do hulu or netflix through addons?
skgruy Wrote:Can any of them do hulu or netflix through addons?

Hulu maybe. Netflix no. You need to bump to a real CPU to do Netflix:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...on%20zotac

Is it safe to assume that atom 525 + next gen ion will do better with hulu as opposed to atom 330 + first gen ion? Also when you say no netflix are you saying standard definition but not hd, or are you saying no netflix at all?
skgruy Wrote:Is it safe to assume that atom 525 + next gen ion will do better with hulu as opposed to atom 330 + first gen ion?

Not better enough to matter. Really.

I have a Atom 330 board I have overclocked a little to 2GHz, and by all measures it might be the fastest Atom on the planet. That is how small the margin between these Atom CPUs are.

Quote:Also when you say no netflix are you saying standard definition but not hd, or are you saying no netflix at all?

You might get by with SD Netflix, but honestly maybe not. Silverlight is basically crap.

poofyhairguy Wrote:You might get by with SD Netflix, but honestly maybe not. Silverlight is basically crap.

Sorry to hijack a bit, but do the (closed) hardware boxes that stream Netflix directly bypass Silverlight entirely? ie. WDTV

Are they running Linux?

I've heard (unsubstantiated) reports that the quality on the hardware products is much better than the Silverlight streaming, intentionally.

Anyone know if this is true?
waldo22 Wrote:Sorry to hijack a bit, but do the (closed) hardware boxes that stream Netflix directly bypass Silverlight entirely? ie. WDTV

Are they running Linux?

Yes, often times. The Boxee box is soon to have Netflix and it runs Linux too.

Netflix has a Linux playback system, but it is not available to the general public- only to companies that sign a NDA promising to protect Netflix's tech. Netflix is terrified about letting real Linux support exist because they think us Linux nerds will hack the DRM and leave their platform open- something investors and content providers don't want.

Quote:I've heard (unsubstantiated) reports that the quality on the hardware products is much better than the Silverlight streaming, intentionally.

Anyone know if this is true?

I will confirm right here that to the best of my knowledge Netflix gives "devices" (PS3s, Blueray players, TVs, WDs, etc.) a better stream to access than computers get. I think (once again) Netflix is scared to allow open platforms like the PC to have access to its better streams. It looks way better on a PS3 or my Blu Ray player than any PC, and its not just the upscaling (as I could tell, I am picky).

That is why a Netflix enabled Blu Ray player is a perfect companion device to a XBMC box.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Not better enough to matter. Really.

I have a Atom 330 board I have overclocked a little to 2GHz, and by all measures it might be the fastest Atom on the planet. That is how small the margin between these Atom CPUs are.

You might get by with SD Netflix, but honestly maybe not. Silverlight is basically crap.

I am definitely not a tech master but from my experiences using an Atom 525, I am able to stream Netlflix just fine on a Win7 machine. As I understand it, anyone streaming Netflix from the net will only get SD. HD is only available for those who stream from a dedicated box like Boxee or a DVD player which is total BS!
poofyhairguy Wrote:Hulu maybe. Netflix no. You need to bump to a real CPU to do Netflix:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...on%20zotac

So Celeron SU2300 is better than any of the Atoms?

Perhaps I have spent too long in the world of full desktops where one turns around and runs at the mention of "Celeron"...
thildemar Wrote:So Celeron SU2300 is better than any of the Atoms?

Not just better, its about twice as good.

Let me give you a new association:

Celeron- the year before last's tech

Atom - tech from five years ago

This is of course just talking about speed. Atoms are more energy efficient than ancient Pentium 4s, but they are just as weak though.

tboooe Wrote:HD is only available for those who stream from a dedicated box like Boxee or a DVD player which is total BS!

Which is why I often suggest just getting an ION system AND a Netflix enabled Blu Ray player.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Comparison of atom cpus0