AAC 5.1 Audio Troubles
After upgrading to 10.0 Dharma I am no longer getting correct speaker mapping for any of my files encoded in AAC 5.1 (previously I believe it just down mixed to stereo.) I get some soundtrack and surround noises but no center channel at all. I have been looking all over the forums and have seen a couple references to this but I have not been able to find a solution outside of telling XBMC that I have a stereo setup instead of surround, which is terribly inconvenient. Does anyone know of any way to get these files to play correctly? I am running a current gen mac mini over HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR608. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to bump my own post but could really use some help on this one.
AAC is real time converted to AC3 by dharma so you should use the same settings for passthrough
This definitely work with toslink am not sure about HMDI
Thanks for the input. Does anyone know what the deal with HDMI is then?
Set passthrough device to toslink even if you use HDMI and it should work
interceptor121 Wrote:Set passthrough device to toslink even if you use HDMI and it should work

I have the same problem, where is the settings for Passtrough device?

I'm using a late 2009 MacMini with a Denon AVR-4310, for audio i have a 3.5 mm to toslink cable and my audio settings in xbmc are as follows.

Audio output Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration 7.1
Boost volume level on downmix Yes
- Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver Yes
- DTS capable receiver Yes
Audio output device Built-in Output

Any help will be appreciated.
Changing to optical didn't do anything. Any other solutions out there? This problem is very annoying.
Hi, I'm currently suffering similar problems with build 10.0-6 on iOS (Apple TV 2).

I've only come across one file in my library that's posing a problem at the moment. It's an mkv with a 5.1 AAC track on it. XBMC reports the correct format for the file in all it's dialogs but my amp only reports receiving a 2.0 stereo track. The left speaker seems to correctly output front-left but the right speaker seems to be outputting the centre channel. All other speakers are silent. I know the iOS release is still very much a work in progress but I'm having no issues whatsoever with other mkv files with AC3 or DTS tracks.
Heh, I spoke too soon! Looks like I found a fix loitering around the forums:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=675763&postcount=6

Set your audio output to Optical/Coax (even if you're using HDMI) and it transcodes multichannel AAC to AC3 for you. Just tested it on my system and it works a treat. Job's a good'un Wink
Big Grin 
WiteWulf Wrote:Set your audio output to Optical/Coax

This did the trick for me. Thanks for the help!
totally worked!
Music 
Oh thank goodness!!!!! So much frustration!!!

Lets get rid of the HDMI option if it's going to cause so much frustration like this!!!! Who needs those "HD" audio anyway... Wink

Would love to see a fix for this implemented as even in the latest build this issue still exists!
Are we still talking about ios (atv2) here? Or does this problem exist on osx too and also is fixable by the same workaround?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Windows Nightly Build

EDIT: Actually now it is working with HDMI as the audio device. Don't know if the changing it to Toslink/Coax then back did something to it or not but now its working as expected.
They fixed something in the nightly builds. I have my Mac Mini connected via HDMI to a Denon Amp, and had ACC/MP3/Pause problems until a few days ago, so I was using the optical connection. However a few days ago I switched back to HDMI, and have XBMC "Audio output" set to "HDMI", but the "Audio output device" set to "Built-in output". Then it works, ACC, MP3, and no more stuttering when pausingSmile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC 5.1 Audio Troubles1