Problems with finding files etc.
Question 
Hi,

I downloaded xbmc so I could read high resolution flac downloads from Pristine Audio, but seem to have come up against a brickwall. The unzipped downloaded files are stored in a file on my desktop, but I simply can't find a way of accessing the desktop via xmbc, since when I go to browse it doesn't seem to give me the option of going straight to my desktop!!

Also for some reason when I open xmbc it takes up the entire screen, unlike itunes and Windows Media Player, and again there doesn't seem to be a simple way of rectifying this annoying situation.

I have a Musical Fidelity CD player, whose DAC takes up to 24/192 and which has a USB socket for replay of all music files.

I use a laptop with Vista Home Premium and - if it is any way relevant - Firefox. I also have a 2trb Seagate memory addition. Please bear in mind that I do not have any knowledge of, or interest in, complicated computer terminology!!!

Can any one help, please?!

Cheers.

Rob
You have posted this question before in THIS thread. There have been replies to your question already. In fact, I've given you a rather detailed solution on how to fix your problem

Click HERE to read your other posting with the same question and the answers too...
Another thing...
You seen to be an audio freak. I've spend more than a car's worth of money to my stereo as well, the thing i don't understand is you use a good DAC and CD player which have cost you some money, but then you hook it up through a USB port over a 20 cents cable?

It's like taking the hottest woman on earth to dinner at the nearest KFC!
Hi,

The downloads are not transferable to disc at present and since a reasonable quality USB cable is capable of transmitting all of the info on the downloaded files it doesn't present a problem.

With regard to women etc, I am gay, so the analogy doesn't apply!!

I was not aware that any replies had been posted, when I searched for the old thread, it didn't show up!!

Rob
Rob, just out of curiousity. You say they are flac files. Why aren't they transferable to disc?
I mean.. it's a digital file, 1's and 0's... Why wouldn't it be possible to transfer them to disc? 24/96 is supercd audio format right?
you can burn discs in that format, or just leave them as flac on the disc and play them in a player in the pc...

Am i missing something?
Smile 
Hi,

24 bit- as opposed to 16 - do not transfer to CD Rom and even high-end players have problems with some types of discs that have been burned (see http://www.pristineclassical.com/index2.html). A new transport/DAC is going to be issued from Italy that will read anything, but even standard burns cause problems on anything other than DVD players, which have an uncanny ability to read anything.

Rob
Should have explicitly said that you can burn 24bit flac to DVD. The problem then comes in replay, in that unless you go to say a Mark Levinson - which costs a fortune - you won't find a DVD player with a decent audio stage. Amongst the cheaper ones the top-of-the-range Cambridge Audio is probably the best. But storing the 24bit files on the computer is the best way - at present - to replay them. The key is also getting a good quality USB lead, and like optical cables, they do vary in quality.
I am the proud owner of 2 Mark Levinsson 331 poweramps Tongue... god to they rock, i am using them on 2 tannoy D-900 cherry speakers...

We are talking about 2 different things...

it is very much possible to burn 24bit to cd, just not in an audio cd format...

just copy the FLAC data file to a cd... that way you will have a cd with data on it. Not audio. that data is being read by another cdrom player, can be a 10 year old 10$ player that will send the data to the computer that will playback this file in it's original 24bit quality. It's a datafile, not an audiofile...

What you're talking about is a CD (not cdrom) in the traditional audio format. I believe they call it redbook? not sure about that. it's been a while...
And in that scenario you are absolutely right... But if you are using your pc as a playback medium for high quality audio, (i have quite some denon gold cd's) you just store digital data files on cd's not digital audio files... this is better in so much ways because the data isn't being influenced by the cdplayer.... With audio cd's and specially superaudio cd's (i guess, i have no experience with SACD) too many variables can influence the signal because it's not a digital stream of audio... the DAC, the transport, capacitors, outlets, you name it....

If you have a solid connection between your computer audio card and your pre-adm, over a good cable, you can safe a lot of money on transports, dac's and cabling....while at the same time when you have a listening session with friends, they will be amazed by the quality of audio that you're presenting them with...

I don't know if you're familiar with the progress high-end audio has made in computers, but it's amazing... In my early days i hated computers for audio, and spend 5000+ euro for a normal cdplayer and link... now i just have a 20Tbyte raid array that stores my audio and video and hooked that up to my pre-amp... believe me... it's amazing....
Smile 
Hi, if you check the Pristine Audio website, the guy who owns and runs the company and who does all of the remasterings, has a section on 16 bit and 24 bit audio CDs and their transfer to disc. He is an acknowledged expert on the subject and what he has to say is aimed at people like myself, who apart from reviewing LPs and CDs, want to download and play in the easiest way possible, 16 bit and 24/48 or higher remasterings of mono source material. I use a high quality 5 metre USB cable to connect with my DAC and the sound is superb. If you want I will send you the reviews I am writing for Audiophile Magazine, when they are completed. Where I will be comparing his 16 bit ambient stereo remasterings of RCA Toscanini recordings, with the first label LPs and a 1937 Toscanini Salzburg Festival Festival Falstaff in 24/48 format. The 24/48 remasterings are only available for download, because as Andrew Rose says, there is no such things as 24 bit sound available on disc!! Interestingly he has found it very difficult to sell true 24 bit ambient stereo remasterings and has almost given up on them. The most popular format is 16 bit ambient stereo (which bears no resemblance to 60s and 70s fake stereo) ordered on CD.

Glad you enjoy the Levinson's, I used to use one of their CD players, but found it rather clinical, although their Madrigal gel XLR cable is the best around and very useful for connecting a good pre to active ATC loudspeakers. But when you get into hi-fi everything dissolves into a morass of subjectivity, what one person thinks sounds great, will be no more than acceptable, mediocre or awful to another!!Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with finding files etc.0