A Couple of "Remote" questions
Hey everyone, ive got a couple of questions that all fall under the same category about remote controlling XBMC and the computer its on, so here it goes.

ok so,

1) While XBMC is running, if I want to remote desktop into it I see XBMC, is there anyway to remote into it as a second desktop so to speak, so while someone maybe be using it on the TV I can go in and update the music collection in Zune or do some work on Media Companion etc, then also when I log out the PC doesnt log out.

2) XBMC is set to sleep after 60 minutes regardless of other programs. Is there anyway to make it check such as uTorrent and jdownloader and if there are any active downloads it waits until they are finished then it can start the sleep timer....I guess this is for the plugin guys for the specific programmes?

3) Are there any remote media managers such as Media Companion? Ive tried the XWMM but it really doesnt cut it and also neither does music, I dont mind a separate app for movies and music but aslong as they have a webui
To have concurrent sessions (rdp session and local session) you could try the "Concurrent RDP patch" (google it) and rdp as a differend user when local usersession stays active.
its even possible to have multiple sessions with the same account but i have to warn you that its not perfect.(stupid MS did have this feature in beta's but decided to leave it out in the final) server 2008r2 does come with the feature.

2) why the timer..? why not let windows manage this so system goes in sleepmode when the dowloads are finished..?

3) --
I use concurrent sessions (patched RDP dll in Win 7) and use the "shadow" command if I need to actually take over the XBMC session. VNC also works.

For media managers, I'm using Ember still...
Ive seen about the concurrent connections but that would still show XBMC. Is there anyway of getting "behind" it so to speak. Like having a virtual desktop. One is XBMC, one is the remote connection so I can log in and do stuff without disturbing xbmc.

I would let windows manage it but theres no options for windows to know when the downloads are finished. Also I dont want it to sleep instantly when they downloaded.

If I let windows manage it, and xbmc is running, would windows see xbmc as an active process and stop it standing by? or.

Theres so many setting on power management its getting hard to know what to do.

I just want it to sleep after say an hour of inactivate, as long as there are no active downloads.
..Ok I just thought, instead of standby, at times of inactivity can it reduce power consumption and also reduce fanspeeds so its still running 24/7 but instead of standby its just running very very low power and then when you press a key or something it brings power back,
concurrent sessions is what you want. It means two different login session sexisting at the same time. so if console session is runing xbmc, and you login from another user account vi remote desktop you will be in a different session and will not see xbmc window, but it would still be running on the console.

you can have xbmc exit after 60 minutes, and you can have you torrent applications exit when posssible with their own scheduler, and use eventghost to monitor both xbmc and the torrent applications, when neitehr are running eventghost will sleep/hibernate or power off your pc.
Ah! That sounds like it might work!, thanks for the help Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A Couple of "Remote" questions0