[iPad] XBMC for iPad?
Hey, I'm entirely new to XBMC but decided to check it out because it would allow me to use a lot of different file formats compared to the native iPad player.

Any way. I've got it installed finally but alas I'm extremely confused as to how it works. How exactly do I play videos on my computer in XBMC on my iPad? I'm familiar with windows root directory of course but since I just jailbroke my iPad I'm not familiar with the root directory of the iPad (or XBMC for that matter) and so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks.
Alright Kauai. Let's take this one step at a time.

First, most of your video should start out shared in a shared folder on your windows pc.

Second, install XBMC onto your Ipad according to the directions from the front page. You don't actually need to install XBMC onto Windows, if you aren't going to be watching XBMC on Windows.

Third, make sure your Ipad is wirelessly connected to the same network as your Windows computer.

Fourth, open XBMC, click the "videos" button, then click "add source." Click "Browse." Then click "windows network (smb)." You should be able to find where you share your videos from there.

Bonus Fifth: Once you've figured out how to find your videos, this will help you on your way to greatness.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide

Edit: In fact, read that Quick Start link BEFORE you bother adding videos. It's really very helpful.
Likewise.

I've installed XBMC, but would like to load media directly on the device to play. After all, if I'm on the network where my media is stored, I'll probably choose to watch it on the 52" LCD, rather than the iPad.

The announcement says, "Drag and drop media from your computer, or share it on your home-network" - but how?

I tried to send a file via SSH to the ipad, and then add that directory as a source, but even SD video played like crap (plays choppily for 8 seconds, then buffers for 10). I know and love XBMC, so I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

Any help much appreciated.
Rimoff Wrote:Likewise.

I've installed XBMC, but would like to load media directly on the device to play. After all, if I'm on the network where my media is stored, I'll probably choose to watch it on the 52" LCD, rather than the iPad.

The announcement says, "Drag and drop media from your computer, or share it on your home-network" - but how?

I tried to send a file via SSH to the ipad, and then add that directory as a source, but even SD video played like crap (plays choppily for 8 seconds, then buffers for 10). I know and love XBMC, so I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

Any help much appreciated.

not sure about your issues but during testing I tested videos out of /var/root/ and /var/mobile
Thanks guys. The app is GREAT! I just watched a few minutes of an MKV file and it played great. This is core functionality for me which I've been dieing to do on the iPad forever. Even VLC for iPad was extremely buggy in playing these videos.

(Yeah, yeah...I'm an anime fan.)

My only two complaints thus far would be;

The UI is a bit "clunky" and unintuitive for lack of a better word. Sort of like how old touch screen's were, unresponsive I guess you could say. But I suppose that's to be expected somewhat considered XBMC usually runs on better powered machines, still usable. And at least the video works.

Mostly my only major complaint is that it's in a weird position. When I watch videos I use my Apple case's built in stand to prop it up, but XBMC is upside down in relation to the apple case and won't re-orientate when I flip the device. This also leaves the volume controls covered when watching a show.

Any way. Thanks for the help.
I created a folder under VAR/MOBILE and added as a source. Two SD .avi file.

I tried a couple with no luck.

Just tried an .MP4 file which was fine - now confused completely. I will try more when I have access to my home server.
First thing you should do is install the PMIII.HD skin. Confluence is painful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[iPad] XBMC for iPad?0