[AppleTV2] How do I stream to my ATV2?
noraa Wrote:@kevinl

I think your issue is you're putting in the wrong username/password - it's not the username/password to the TimeCapsule itself.

In Airport Utility, in your Time Capsule settings go to Disks -> Account. If there are no accounts setup there, set one up by clicking the little + button. Put in whatever username/password you'd like and make sure sharing access is set to read/write. Click "Done" and then "Update" and wait for the Time Capsule to restart.

Once it has restarted, go back into XBMC and follow the same steps as before, but for username/password put in what you just set up above.

ran through these steps and now im able to get past the the first screen at least.
server 10.0.x.x
shared folder: Data (this i'm still not sure about as its just the name of the TC's volume)
username and password i finally figured out by setting that up in Airport Utility.

so now when i add this it doesn't give me an error just brings me to an empty page with "..." at the top. if i hit OK it takes me to the Set Content page. i choose movies, add it and when i clicked on this source it says "Remote Share: Network is not connected"

on my TC i have 3 folders. so i open Data and i see Films, Trailers, and TV Shows. do i need to specify these when i'm adding the source? or add a separate source for each folder?
@kevinl

How about putting some test files to your Public folder and trying to connect to your Mac first?

Secondly, go to add source choose ADD NETWORK LOCATION so you can set username and password in needed to access share. If Error 2 keeps coming up, do not browse. Instead, try to type share name in box 'Server name' on the left (double check share name in Finder before typing it in).

If all goes well try adding TC afterwards.

Have fun and post results.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I added my Music folder (on my iMac's HD, not the TC). added it without anydefined for Shared Name and it came up fine. when I clicked on it after adding source it gave me that same "remote error" but after selecting scan to library it started importing my music library and I was able to play a song just fine. so as far as the computer/appletv/network go they are fine. so it's just the TC's drive that's being a little asshole...
Does no one expierence crashes while streaming?

I have the latest iOS on my ATV2 and it crashes all the time while watching a video after a random time.
I wonder if I should reinstall XBMC.
kevinl Wrote:I added my Music folder (on my iMac's HD, not the TC). added it without anydefined for Shared Name and it came up fine. when I clicked on it after adding source it gave me that same "remote error" but after selecting scan to library it started importing my music library and I was able to play a song just fine. so as far as the computer/appletv/network go they are fine. so it's just the TC's drive that's being a little asshole...

ive been having some right problems too kevin with getting it working using Airport extreme and a usb HDD. But finaly ive cracked it

to make it a little easier, i changed the local name for the AE so i didnt have to input the IP address (airport util> double click on your unit> base station> under the airport name, click edit

i tried the accounts route suggested above but found that for some reason i couldnt then browse the folder on the mac (i was prob doing something wrong but, whatever). So i went for the disk password option

in xbmc i used the following settings

server name: (i used the name i set previously instead of the ip) ae.local
shared folder: used the root name. In your case "Data"
port: 0
username: leave blank
password: the one i set in airport util

worked straight away. hope this helps.
@kevinl

Give this a shot, in the the Time Capsule preferences, under disks, etc. go to File Sharing and there should be an item "Airport Disk Guess Access" set that to Read Only (or Read/Write it you want to...wouldn't suggest it though).

Then go back to XBMC and try and add it again, but this time leave the username/password blank.

I know with an Airport Extreme when I plug in a hard drive and set it all up, the name of the hard drive is considered the "shared folder" and every account has access to it. When you add accounts a new folder for the name of that account is created on the hard drive and only the person with that account can access that folder. I'm wondering, if for some reason when you set up the account in the Time Capsule and then connect to that from XBMC it's only connecting you to the new folder created for that account, which would have nothing in it...
Nora as hit the nail on the head, you need to enable Guest Access on an Airport Extreme, and if you are sharing a folder on a mac, add a new user that is allowed to see the content as "Guest" and no password.
I have a bit of the same problems as Kevin, but cannot really try the fix solutions, due to one major problem:

I have a MBP, an Airport Extreme base station with an usb-connected WD HDD, which contains all my media files.

The root/shared folder on the network HDD is called "2TB Netværk", which is the name I gave the HDD when formatting it.

The major problem is this: I can't type the danish letter "æ" in the GUI of xbmc, I can't find it in the list of symbols.

Can anyone help me ? Do I have to reformat my HDD (very annoying and impractical) to rename it, or is there a foreign keyboard mapping somewhere, I haven't found ??

Another thing (Forgive me, I am a total Noob at this...):
I can enable smb sharing under "System preferences -> sharing" for all my local folders, but when I try to add a folder on my HDD connected to the AE, the entire volume is greyed out....
Any thought on that ??

I have tried to add sources to xbmc from my local HDD through smb, and it connects just fine with my MBP...

Any help is appreciated....
oksehud Wrote:I have a bit of the same problems as Kevin, but cannot really try the fix solutions, due to one major problem:

I have a MBP, an Airport Extreme base station with an usb-connected WD HDD, which contains all my media files.

The root/shared folder on the network HDD is called "2TB Netværk", which is the name I gave the HDD when formatting it.

Can you attach it to your Mac and rename it to, say, '2TB Netvaerk'?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Thanks for the thread, I finally connected XBMC to my external HD on Airport Extreme via SMB.

server - airport ip - 10.0.1.1
shared folder - name of Hard Drive
port - 0
username - blank
password - blank

Gave Guest Access Read Only
ntarantino Wrote:Thanks for the thread, I finally connected XBMC to my external HD on Airport Extreme via SMB.

port - 0
username - blank
password - blank

Hi!! First of all, sorry about my english because I´m from Spain.

If I understand you, I can see my .avis stored in my external hdd connected on an Airport Extreme in an ATV2 via SMB without my MBP has to be switched on, neither convert files in files supported by iTunes??

"Graphically":
HDD => Airport Extreme => ATV2 with XBMC

And does xbmc support .srt files??
If it´s true, this is all what I was looking for!!

Regards!!
murmullos Wrote:And does xbmc support .srt files??
If it´s true, this is all what I was looking for!!

it does, stop looking Smile
You are my Hero :-))) Thanx a lot!!! I was desperately trying to add my USB HDD, which is connected to Time Capsule USB port. While internal TC HDD was a piece of cake, this one was a disaster...

Thanx a lot!!!

ntarantino Wrote:Thanks for the thread, I finally connected XBMC to my external HD on Airport Extreme via SMB.

port - 0
username - blank
password - blank

port - 0
username - blank
password - blank

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me! I'm getting an "Operation not permitted" error prompt.

Any chance you can let me know what I'm doing wrong? Here's my setup for a hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme:

1) On my Mac, I have SMB File Sharing turned on via System Preferences > Network.

2) In my Airport Extreme/Airport Utility, I've enabled file sharing via the Disks > File Sharing pane (image appended):
- "Enable file sharing" is checked
- For "Secure Shared Disks," I've selected "With accounts." Accordingly, I set up a user account with the user "xbmc" and the password "xbmc9"
- For "Airport Disks Guest Access," I've selected "Read only."
- "Share disks over WAN" is checked

3) In XBMC, if I add a network share with the server name 10.0.1.1, shared folder name "data" (this is my HD name), port 0, user "xbmc" and password "xbmc9," it seems like it connects. I don't get an error message, but I get the same problem that kevinl described earlier: I see a mostly blank page with ".." at the top. I try scanning the share for movies, but no dice. I can confirm that there are video files on my external HD!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

I am having the same issue i can get it to see my macbook but i cant seem to get it to share from my hdd. I have a macbook using osx 10.6.6 with an airport extreme that has a WD 1tb hdd attached to it i have tried everything on these posts and just cant seem to get it to work. I fell like I just dont have something right. Does the hdd have to be in a certain format or are the settings on my macbook wrong im so lost any help would be great.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] How do I stream to my ATV2?0