[AppleTV2] Confirm 1080p video decoding / playback with 720p or 1080p output?
Question 
Can somebody confirm that the playback of 1080p content (say bluray mkvs) is actually going out of the AppleTV2 as 1080p and not scaled down to 720p?

Thanks!
Also, can anybody confirm what all audio outputs are supported? Anything beyond 5.1?
720P works great on my iPad so far, will test 1080p later as i dont have anything smaller then 5gb to transfer over..

seems like a slight judder when the video is play as you hit the screen as it displays the video seek bar.
The atv2 is still, regrettably, hardware limited on output. It can decode 1080p, but it'll still output 720p.
natethomas Wrote:The atv2 is still, regrettably, hardware limited on output. It can decode 1080p, but it'll still output 720p.
And thats nothing that can ever be changed right?
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
I would also like to know this... but from the sounds of it, if it is 'hardware limited on output' then I would say the chances are that it can't be changed.
I was just about to order an ATV2 as soon as I heard the great news...but with output limited to 720p, it aint happening. Thats really too bad Sad
TommyL Wrote:I was just about to order an ATV2 as soon as I heard the great news...but with output limited to 720p, it aint happening. Thats really too bad Sad
Same, but its still the cheapest box i can setup for my parents that has XBMC (Besides xbox 1 or some other old stuff)
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
It would be nice to hear that outputting 1080p may be possible. It's a shame as it would then 'tick all the boxes'. I'm still considering it though.
ATV2 does not have 1080p output by design
interceptor121 Wrote:ATV2 does not have 1080p output by design
Exactly. It simply doesn't have the hardware to pump out 1080p. You'll have to wait for the new A5 chip that's rumoured to be in the next ipad, iphone and ATV.

Let's not forget that a lot of PS3 games only output in 720p Wink
Why would you want a 1080P movie on the iPad? The resolution output isn't better then 1024x768, so 720P will be just fine. This is also the case for the ATV2, which only supports 720P.
BritBloke Wrote:Exactly. It simply doesn't have the hardware to pump out 1080p. You'll have to wait for the new A5 chip that's rumoured to be in the next ipad, iphone and ATV.

Let's not forget that a lot of PS3 games only output in 720p Wink

Consideirng the fact that the A4 chip can decode 1080p, there is no reason it can't output 1080p. Apple has this arbitrarily locked down in their design.
HDClown Wrote:Consideirng the fact that the A4 chip can decode 1080p, there is no reason it can't output 1080p. Apple has this arbitrarily locked down in their design.
Can it really decode 1080p efficiently? How high bitrate? 1080p on XBMC on A4 does stutter.
BritBloke Wrote:Can it really decode 1080p efficiently? How high bitrate? 1080p on XBMC on A4 does stutter.

The FireCore guys (ATVFlash) have told me that they have done 14Mbps 1080p MKV without stuttering. I don't believe that was through XBMC, but rather their own ATVFlash stuff that they have been working on, but I don't know for sure. I noticed that XBMC for iOS puleld from a firecore repository last night, so there might be some code sharing going on.

I'll be doing my own testing tomorrow, across a variety of bitrate 1080p. Is it going to playback 25Mbps+ smoothly? Probably not, so I wouldn't expect a straight BD rip that hasn't been re-encoded to go smoothly, but for all the re-encoded stuff, it's usually in the 10-12Mbps range.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Confirm 1080p video decoding / playback with 720p or 1080p output?0