iPad skin concept
Stranger Wrote:Putting a unique twist on iOS would be a triumph, not generic. The examples I posted are eclectic and there is nothing generic about them, they all meet high standard's that are a credit to the guidelines and trends of iOS. You wouldn't be 'turning the XBMC interface', you would be adapting it. If anything my point is there is a standard that iOS demands (deserves). XBMC does not have a standard when it comes to design, that is why there is a constant mess of concepts, incomplete skins and incredibly ignorant approaches to ideas.

Wow. Have an opinion much? I disagree when you criticize xbmc design as a mess of concepts and an ignorant approach to ideas. Its clear that a lot of skinners from xbmc are amatures at design, but unfortunately that is to be expected from an open source project. How many development dollars do you think went into the apps you posted screen shots of?

I will tell you this from my own experiance so far - design for xbmc is not easy. The skinning interface is designed to be incredibly flexible, but is also very limiting when trying to put together data naturally. When you're designing for ios you have a consistant tool kit to design buttons, animations, menus, etc. Which is where my comment about "generic" interface comes in. Many ios applicatikns have a "generic" feel to me since they are all for the most part using a standard and well-worn control set. With xbmc the sky is the limit, but also somewhat limiting, since there is a fairly steep learning curve to development.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I would suggest that rather than try and emulate what already exisits for ios, a Skinner would be better served to work within the framework of xbmc to deliver something useable and a media-rich experiance. That being said, Paper Street will mostly likely work very poorly on my ipad, so maybe after Ronie and I finish it up ill take a swing at an ios skin. Otherwise, I look foreward to seeing the direction design for these devices takes.
blacklist Wrote:With xbmc the sky is the limit, but also somewhat limiting, since there is a fairly steep learning curve to development.

blacklist Wrote:Anyway, I'm rambling. I would suggest that rather than try and emulate what already exisits for ios, a Skinner would be better served to work within the framework of xbmc to deliver something useable and a media-rich experiance.

but I don't understand what you mean by 'the framework'?
Stranger Wrote:I admire that line.

That's why I get paid the big bucks. Tongue
Quote:but I don't understand what you mean by 'the framework'?

I just mean to make an xbmc skin fit into an ios mold is going be a challenge, given the current "framework" of what dialogs, etc are required by xbmc. I think rather than making it fit with current ios design esthetics, time would be better spent on how to deliver the current xbmc experiance in a touch screen, gesture driven world.
blacklist Wrote:I just mean to make an xbmc skin fit into an ios mold is going be a challenge, given the current "framework" of what dialogs, etc are required by xbmc. I think rather than making it fit with current ios design esthetics, time would be better spent on how to deliver the current xbmc experiance in a touch screen, gesture driven world.

That sounds like the clearest path to take, I just hope the design takes some inspiration from iOS in regards to textures and type, especially type.
OK, I see the image now. Looks great, no skins like it for xbmc so it's certainly unique.
One thing that the touch interface gives that XBMC has not had to date is it allows you to have multiple points of focus, whereas with most other input styles you have a single point of focus (current list, current button etc.)

This may prove a challenge - I have no doubt whatsoever that almost any XBMC skin can be made touch-friendly with some effort. Confluence is one of the better ones, and it still includes some of the more exotic view types. Obviously just making it touch-friendly is not quite enough though, but it's a good starting point.

As and when we find things that we want to do (royal we here - I'm meaning the designers and skinners) we'll look at how to best support that.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:One thing that the touch interface gives that XBMC has not had to date is it allows you to have multiple points of focus, whereas with most other input styles you have a single point of focus (current list, current button etc.)

This may prove a challenge - I have no doubt whatsoever that almost any XBMC skin can be made touch-friendly with some effort. Confluence is one of the better ones, and it still includes some of the more exotic view types. Obviously just making it touch-friendly is not quite enough though, but it's a good starting point.

As and when we find things that we want to do (royal we here - I'm meaning the designers and skinners) we'll look at how to best support that.

Cheers,
Jonathan

My point exactly, J.

I think that the current skins that do a good job of mouse support will make the transition to iOS pretty well, t! And confluence come to mind - and I think a super clean skin like alaska could make the transition pretty easily.
Edit: i guess touch screen interface is cool
Anyway just want to give a big thumbs up here for anyone who is actually doing any work on a proper touch skin for the ipad.
why steve decided to make it 4x3 I have no idea but keep it up guys Smile I guess the main issue your going to probably run into is rotating the screen if thats at all possible in xbmc to 3x4 instead of 4x3. though I would think keeping it at 4x3 would be best for media playback

Anyone want to donate me an ipad so I can have a crack at it Smile way too expensive for me to get one "just because" xbmc runs on it
I received negative feedback for my comments. I didn't mean to piss anybody off, yet I don't think anyone needed to go out of their way to prescribe me a 'chillpill'
Stranger Wrote:I received negative feedback for my comments. I didn't mean to piss anybody off, yet I don't think anyone needed to go out of their way to prescribe me a 'chillpill'

Just to let you know, I found screenshots you sent very inspirational - a good start point.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPad skin concept0