[AppleTV2] ATV2 skins and performance?
Skin development is where I found SLiK.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I experienced very low GUI performance using Transparency skin on ATV2. In the "Movies" page it gets about 5 seconds to update the fanart of a movie I choose in the collection and there's also a delay on showing the pictures of the box of the movies that appear simultaneously on the screen. In the "Series" page the performance is a bit better, but still not nice to use.

I changed then the ATV2 to the default Confluence skin and the performance is much better. Hope Transparecy guys update the skin for a better performance on ATV2 as I always used it in my iMac and I got a good performance there.

I'm using Shade and it appears to be a little bit smoother than the default skin. However, XBMC has gone through a couple updates since I switched skins, so I can't positively say if it's the skin or the updates.
Cirrus is my favorite!! Simplicity works well too.
As an alternative to Confluence I have installed Simplicity. It works really well, and as of yet I have not experienced any lag at all. Great looking Skin too.
I think PM3.HD is doing pretty well. smooth.
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.
Agree Simplicity is fantastic... How are you finding Cirrus? Any slowdown at all?
I use Alaska Revisited to. Its really smooth and is the most clean skin of the bunch in my opinion.

Don't install Alaska Revisited from the official XBMC.org repo. It has a really old version (1.8.6). The official repo of the developer has a much newer version (2.7.6) wich is much smoother on the ATV2.

Add the repo to XBMC, see this topic: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70302
XBMC on Mac and 2 Apple TV 2's – Alaska Revisited – Drobo FS
Anyone care to explain how to install a custom skin on the ATV2?
If the skin is in the official repository then install through the addon manager

Settings > Add-ons > Get Add-ons > XBMC.org Add-ons > Skin > **Skin_Name**

If the skin is not in the official repository you may have to
(a) install a 3rd party repository to install the skin from,
(b) install the skin directly from a skin.zip file, or
© transfer the skin directly into the skins folder

I think the easiest way to transfer files over to the ATV2 is to use a sftp client like Filezilla. See this post for more information on how to use this.

(a) If you need to install an unofficial repository to install the skin follow this guide written for Aeon Nox:
dazex Wrote:Use a application like Filezilla to sFTP into your ATV2. Then drag and drop the Aeon Nox file onto your ATV to the "/private/var/mobile" path. Then from within XBMC, click install addon from ZIP from the "Get Addons" menu. Go into the "Home" folder and you'll see the Aeon Nox zip file that you sFTP over. Choose that and it should install the appropriate repository.

You'll then be able to go into the newly added repo and install the skin. These instructions are the same for adding any other repo to XBMC such as the Bluecop one that enable Hulu, SpikeTV, etc...

(b) If you need to install the skin directly from a .zip file then transfer it over to the same location that was used for method (a), and "install from zip" in the addons manager.

© If you cannot install from zip and you need to transfer the skin files over to the ATV2 and put them in the addons folder then do the following
* ensure the folder for the skin is appropriately named: It should be named "skin.**Skin_Name**", e.g. "skin.confluence"
* transfer over to the ATV2 into the following folder
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons
or
/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons
* done!

These 4 methods for skin installation have all been discussed on this forum previously. Please use the search function in future
Another vote for SliK here. Runs very nice, and its not even "officially" done yet! Since I wasnt aware the version of Alaska Revisited was outdated, ill update mine and see how that compares.
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
DazNoonan Wrote:As an alternative to Confluence I have installed Simplicity. It works really well, and as of yet I have not experienced any lag at all. Great looking Skin too.
Just trialling Cirrus now and I must say I am very impressed. I have gone with the horizontal bar option on it as I think that looks the best. The skin runs very well with no issues of lag etc... and the view layouts it has are very nice too.
Devices using XBMC
iMac | MacBook | MacBook Air | AppleTV2 | iPad | iPhone4
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Another vote for SliK here. Runs very nice, and its not even "officially" done yet! Since I wasnt aware the version of Alaska Revisited was outdated, ill update mine and see how that compares.

I don't like i don't get direct buttons in the homescreen for movies and tv shows. Search in de skin settings, maybe it was disabled, but unfortunately. Think is is normal on the homescreen it is under video or am i blind?

Using now AEON NOX. Very nice skin, but it is not the smoothest on a aTV 2.
xTV - xTV SAF is really smooth but it is very very basic

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59576

currently I'm using Alaska Revisited, but I hope that Confluence in the future will be much smooth Wink

cheers
Jimmy89 Wrote:Anyone use the "night" skin? If so what is the performance like in the movie library with fullscreen fanart with covers etc?

The night skins works excellent for me, even better than confluence

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] ATV2 skins and performance?0