[AppleTV2] How easy to restore if I lose power to my aTV2?
porkozone Wrote:I'm seriously considering buying an AppleTV to install XBMC on to replace my old XBox. I understand that the current jailbreak is a tethered one, which means if for some reason the AppleTV loses power, it goes back to the stock firmware.

Knowing that, is there anything I can do to "back up" my XBMC install, customizations, and settings after I get it the way I want, to allow me to quickly reinstall everything in case I lose power?

I don't like the idea I would have to start from complete scratch in the event of a power outage. I wouldn't want to have to re-jailbreak, reinstall XBMC, and THEN manually tweak all of the settings each time. I'm hoping there is a way to allow me to restore my fully-set up XBMC once I re-install the jailbreak. Is something like this possible?

Also, is there ftp access to the XBMC install?

I was about to post this exact question....
nmat Wrote:Well... Let's hope for an untethered JB in the near future Wink I believe it will come sooner or later.
Quick question - if i buy and setup my atv2 and tether boot it with my mac, i can then remove my mac from my home theater correct. I would only need need my mac if I had too remove power from the ATV2 Correct?Big Grin
I understand your confusion now that I reread that you are coming from an XBOX...
No... you dont install XBMC on linux based devices like you do in the original xbox or even windows... You have to learn linux terminal to install XBMC.. there is a simple guide tho on the wiki...

Basically you dont download and put anything on the device, you tell the device to do it all itself..
Anyone know when that last firmware got released? I'm wondering if I buy an ATV2 from someone like Apple/eBay etc if there's any chance it'll come with the older, jailbreakable firmware?
landwomble Wrote:Anyone know when that last firmware got released? I'm wondering if I buy an ATV2 from someone like Apple/eBay etc if there's any chance it'll come with the older, jailbreakable firmware?

All of the Apple TV 2g firmware is jailbreakable...
Numus Wrote:All of the Apple TV 2g firmware is jailbreakable...
OK, I'll rephrase. Jailbreakable without needing a tether each time it's powered up...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] How easy to restore if I lose power to my aTV2?0