*.mkv files with ASS(SSA) subtitles doesn't work
I just tested the video playback features and for one thing I'm happy with is smooth HD playback. However those mkv files, which include subtitles, like anime usually do, the subtitles doesn't work properly. It might be some style related, since there was some places, where some subtitles were to be seen with white text and white outline, but mostly it doesn't show.

So far i have tested that with only one file, but still the problem exists. Other than that, i have found this most excellent app, which i most likely would not have found on AppStore Big Grin
I tested 5 Mkv files. 10-20gb. Don't see any problem with subtitles (2 different languages).
Subtiles which are included in the mkv container do work! check your Preferences --> System --> Video there you calibrate where the subitles are shown and which font should be used etc.Laugh
Tried some mkv (Anime) with subs, and they don't work. Subs have uncommon fonts like HGP Mincho B (Bakemonogatari).

Please fix this Wink
This seems to be a problem that hasn't been fixed for over a year. Subtitles embedded in MKV for a lot of anime shows, are displayed gabbled.
guess you didn't search first before posting. but you did find the other thread that's recently posted . =P

it's a known issue and it's being looked into

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93523
I dont know how but if you install the nightly build, for 2-1-11 subtitles work for anime 720p mkvs,,
testing ...
confirmed it to be working 90% ...

once you go into the menu and enable subtitles they display, which is AWESOME.

however, they're displayed with some quirks.

1. everything is prefaced with a comma
2. subs don't seem to follow a timing release. they stay on screen until the next subtitle is displayed.

a definite improvement from no subs though.

nice call kobun. I'll run the info pass davilla
Subs stopped working for me in the newest release 10.0-6 IPad 4.2.1. Is there a way to rollback to the previous release
SSA/ASS (Found in Anime Mostly)subtitles do not work if the video is being passed to the hardware decoder.

It is a known issue, be patient hopefully a fix will come.

Edit: Just tested a bunch of movies with srt subtitles and they all seem to be working perfectly.
Thewolf Wrote:SSA/ASS (Found in Anime Mostly)subtitles do not work if the video is being passed to the hardware decoder.

It is a known issue, be patient hopefully a fix will come.

Edit: Just tested a bunch of movies with srt subtitles and they all seem to be working perfectly.

It seems some ass subs work some don't.
i'm having the oppisite issue found an mkv where I cant disable subtitles.

my below findings and work around may offer some clues to fixing the over all issue or to help people turn on subtitles

I while playing the MKV if I toggle into the Audio and Subtitle menu it does not allow me to edit any of these settins while in the mkv

The work around for this was to play an XviD then toggle into the Audio and Subtitle menu turn off the subtitles then select the bottom option to "Set these settings for all movies"

then whe I returned to the mkv I was having the issue wiht the subtitles were gone Big Grin
I am rebumping this topic to see if there has been any headway on the issue of mkv subtitles in regards to anime.

I just got a new apple tv 2 (4.3) with the nightly build from 4-2. I have a large collection of anime most all of which are in MKV. I have yet to get any of them to display subtitles. Re-encoding is not an option since I have nearly 1TB of files.
Why not just demux the sub track and convert it to something that works perfectly like srt, then remux the mkv, should take all of 3.5 minutes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
*.mkv files with ASS(SSA) subtitles doesn't work0