• 8(current)
[AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support?
thesuffering Wrote:ive noticed ever since i setup my database as mysql the whole interface as a whole runs slower on the atv2. even scrolling through menus can take 5-10 seconds to respond at times. I have the 2/17/11 nightly on the atv. on my other computers the interface runs just fine. any reason it would be doing this? i know running it through mysql can slow things somewhat, but even in the main menus? anybody elses complete interface running slow?
I noticed that behaviour when xbmc could not connct to the mysql-db. (eg. wrong version)
Do you have acces to your library from atv2?
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.
My ATV2 is working perfectly now, both with MySQL and thiumbnails, if only I could get them to work on my ATV1 HuhHuh Might dump it and just go buy another ATV2.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
one800higgins Wrote:This is getting to be a large and popular topic. Does anyone want to provide a walkthrough / points / tips / benefits on how to properly get this running? Then the original poster can update his post to include this information to benefit the whole community. Plus it will cut down on a lot of repeat questions.

I wish someone had done that this morning. I dedicated a fair bit of time to figuring everything out today. Still I'm very pleased with the results. On Friday I'd never touched XBMC and today I synced library implementations on two ATV2's via my NAS. I'm "chuffed" Big Grin

Having just done it as a newbie these are my brief Notes:

A good SSH client: PuTTY

Finding ATV2 IP address: Apple TV Home, Settings, General, About

Install the "Daily" XBMC release 17th Feb+ from Keith's - Unofficial builds for testing!

Follow Lifehacker guide to setting up central database for shared library

A SFTP client for Windows

I also noticed that the location to place the "advancedsettings.xml" in iOS is wrong (presumably it's for the ATV1). For me it's:
"/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata"

Thumbnails:
Create a new file location on the network to store thumbnails.
Add additional lines to "advancedsettings.xml" file, below is an example of mine in full (Red sections need to be updated with your own locations for MySQL and SMB Thumbnail folder)

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>[color=Red]192.168.1.2[/color]</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>[color=Red]192.168.1.2[/color]</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_music</name>
    </musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
            <to>[color=Red]smb://192.168.1.2/Volume_1/Media_Server/xbmc_thumbs/[/color]</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
Image Don't even think about my mother!
freaksworth Wrote:I noticed that behaviour when xbmc could not connct to the mysql-db. (eg. wrong version)
Do you have acces to your library from atv2?

yes, i do have access and movies will play.

you are saying wrong version possibly? you mean wrong mysql version? i have it currently running 5.1 essentials. should i be using a different version of mysql server?
No! No need to change anything concernig mysql. I was talking about different xbmc internal database versions. (dharma/eden, etc,)
sorry, can't help you.
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.
Stiffler Wrote:I also noticed that the location to place the "advancedsettings.xml" in iOS is wrong (presumably it's for the ATV1). For me it's:
"/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC"

So not in userdata folder but by the userdata folder?
T800 Wrote:So not in userdata folder but by the userdata folder?

Arrrgh Sorry I missed the last part of the path:
"/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata"
Image Don't even think about my mother!
im still unable to get my thumbnails to remotely share. my advancedsettings.xml looks like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>

<videodatabase>

<type>mysql</type>

<host>192.168.254.251</host>

<port>3306</port>

<user>xbmc</user>

<pass>xbmc</pass>

<name>xbmc_video</name>

</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>

<type>mysql</type>

<host>192.168.254.251</host>

<port>3306</port>

<user>xbmc</user>

<pass>xbmc</pass>

<name>xbmc_music</name>

</musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
            <to>smb://HTPC-PC/Users/HTPC/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

i have tried both the share name (HTPC-PC) and 192.168.254.251/c/users/htpc/appdata/roaming/xbmc/userdata/thumbnails and neither have yielded any changes or thumbnails on my atv. what am i doing wrong here? have the 2.17 nightly
thesuffering Wrote:have the 2.17 nightly

The commit 97585e5d3a7c9d80612809bb72581902c708b239 was made on 2.19 and appears in the latest official build (10.0.7). Try upgrading to that (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) and see if that fixes your problem.
Post your log.
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>        
        <to>smb://xbmc:[email protected]/Thumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

This is the one that is working for me on 2.17, I just shared the thumbnails directory on my windows machine (can't remember where it is from work). Just wish I could get the thumbnails to work on my ATV1.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
Bumpaneer Wrote:The commit 97585e5d3a7c9d80612809bb72581902c708b239 was made on 2.19 and appears in the latest official build (10.0.7). Try upgrading to that (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) and see if that fixes your problem.
this didnt work
How about changing
Code:

to

Code:
also try the IP address and put the username/password as well,
So instead of this,
smb://HTPC-PC/Users/HTPC/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails

put, (replace xxx and username/password) I would check that, that user has permission to read that share too!!)
smb://username:[email protected]/Users/HTPC/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails

oh and you had the directory correct firist time;
Where is user specific data stored?
All user-specific data is stored in in the XBMC home directory which, for a standard installation, is found in your windows users' application data directory, which may be found in one of two places.
1. Windows Xp: Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC\
2. Vista/Windows 7: Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\
Bumpaneer Wrote:How about changing
Code:

to

Code:

finally got it working. my main computer wasnt sharing that folder over smb for some reason
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support?1