• 2(current)
[AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support?
With TV, I have my media organized like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5505849/how-to-whi...-and-boxee

I haven't had a chance to fix my Movies yet.

All my thumbnails work in TV great, but yet to fix covers in Movies.

Once you've got .nfo and/or .tbn and .jpgs built scanning goes a ton quicker too.
ti_gusus Wrote:What about remote Thumbnails Huh
What is the right way to create shortcut Huh

I'm taking from it, that at this point, there isn't a good solution as there have been no reply's to this question in a few different posts? Also davilla says there is currently no way to mount a remote disk.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91776

Maybe there is another way, I'm use to mounting a drive in Linux or Windows then symlinking. I can think of a few ways to do it if your concern is just making the thumbnails once, and don't want to duplicate thumbnail generation.

i.e afpfs-gt for mac/linux http://sourceforge.net/projects/afpfs-ng/,

or maybe this for windows http://thebigboss.org/2009/05/22/calling...the-iphone

You can then sync every so often. I personally am interested in serving the thumbnails
Didn't tryed yet but perhaps you can use rsync on your iphone to copy your thumb data daily.

Or Dropbox could be a solution too.
hotlobster Wrote:Didn't tryed yet but perhaps you can use rsync on your iphone to copy your thumb data daily.

This seems like it'd be a good idea if it works. If noone else reports back, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.
johntash Wrote:This seems like it'd be a good idea if it works. If noone else reports back, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

Ive been using 'Super Flexible File Synchronizer' to sync from my main XBMC Windows machine to > Apple TV2. Syncs every 60 minutes.

I've mounted the SFTP Drive of the AppleTV using Expandrive.

Also don't think dropbox would work for the AppleTV, don't think you can install it on there.

Samba might work if you can mount a remote share on the AppleTV but still I like having the Thumbnails local to each machine ( network can have latency in loading up pics )
Depending on your MySQL server configuration you may need to add the skip-name-resolve option to the [mysqld] section in the my.ini config file.

It seems that my MySQL instance couldn't resolve the host name of my AppleTV and was refusing the connection...

After including the skip-name-resolve and restarting MySQL, XBMC on my AppleTV can now see my movies Smile
just FYI,

if you add:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
        <from>/Volumes/DRIVE1</from>
        <to>smb://192.168.1.4/DRIVE1</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>

to advancedsetting.xml your paths on remote machine(/Volumes/DRIVE1) would get translated to be used from ATV2(smb://192.168.1.4/DRIVE1)

this is handy when mysql database is setup on the same machine where main XMBC and all media is

more at trac 11101
hotlobster Wrote:Didn't tryed yet but perhaps you can use rsync on your iphone to copy your thumb data daily.

i created a shell script on my ipad to do that, I use a modified live XBMC and use a simple script with the following on my ipad root user directory:

rsync -auzvr x.x.x.x:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/

prio to that I have created ssh keys on the ipad and copied the public key to my xbmc so I have a fully secure and silent authentication for my root user on the ipad ... the inital trasfer tool a few minutes but after that it will sync incrementally
I tried setting up MySQL for the first time for my xbmc machines/atv yesterday and all wireless devices it was taking upwards of 30 seconds to load into my libraries.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up or is it purely an issue with the speed of my network?
Hidd3nFury Wrote:I tried setting up MySQL for the first time for my xbmc machines/atv yesterday and all wireless devices it was taking upwards of 30 seconds to load into my libraries.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up or is it purely an issue with the speed of my network?

I have mysql remote library running on my QNAP which has a c2d 2.8ghz using 802.11n dual band over my Time Capsule and my 96 shows (almost full) load up in less than 10 seconds, maybe about double the time my MBP takes to load. Not bad at all.

Can you try it via ethernet and see if you still have lag?
meshuga Wrote:I have mysql remote library running on my QNAP which has a c2d 2.8ghz using 802.11n dual band over my Time Capsule and my 96 shows (almost full) load up in less than 10 seconds, maybe about double the time my MBP takes to load. Not bad at all.

Can you try it via ethernet and see if you still have lag?

I can't test at the moment with the ATV cos people are using it but my main HTPC that is wired loads almost immediately. My MacBook Air is as slow as the ATV if not slower and I can't try wired cos theres no ethernet port Laugh

I was running MySQL from my office PC C2Q 2.4 and dual band 802.11n. It certainly doesn't seem to be a problem with the ATV.

UPDATE: I deleted the database and rebuilt be library from scratch and now my 600 something movies load in about 8 seconds and my 77 TV Shows load in about 10. I can deal with that Big Grin
r4nd0m Wrote:i created a shell script on my ipad to do that, I use a modified live XBMC and use a simple script with the following on my ipad root user directory:

rsync -auzvr x.x.x.x:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/

prio to that I have created ssh keys on the ipad and copied the public key to my xbmc so I have a fully secure and silent authentication for my root user on the ipad ... the inital trasfer tool a few minutes but after that it will sync incrementally

I was able to use rsync to manually transfer over my thumbs.

A couple questions:

1. If I want to set up the public/private keys, do I need to allow my server to accept root logins? (since rsync will be running as root on the aTV, but I'd like it to log in to my server as another user).

2. How do I set up the aTV to run the rsync periodically?
Try this link.
http://troy.jdmz.net/rsync/index.html

I am just playing with this. I have a Revo in my lounge with a user 'xbmc', and the Apple TV has a user 'root', so I had to modify the line above to authenticate as xbmc on the remote machine not root which it was doing by default. Did you do the same? If I created a local user called xbmc and with the same password as remote, would it then do the rsync without having to setup these ssh keys? I don't care about security in this context at all, I just want it to work.
I created an advancedsettings.xml on my iPad and it shows my mySQL library correctly (although no thumbs, obviously). However it won't play anything. Every time I go to play a video it just says that it's no longer available. I don't get it, I can access the shares via the file view (videos) and I know the database has the right SMB links because I use it with a revo and two MacBooks as well. Any ideas?
AaronD Wrote:Try this link.
http://troy.jdmz.net/rsync/index.html

I am just playing with this. I have a Revo in my lounge with a user 'xbmc', and the Apple TV has a user 'root', so I had to modify the line above to authenticate as xbmc on the remote machine not root which it was doing by default. Did you do the same? If I created a local user called xbmc and with the same password as remote, would it then do the rsync without having to setup these ssh keys? I don't care about security in this context at all, I just want it to work.

I got the passwordless login working, but I dont think aTV runs cron
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support?1