• 14(current)
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows
electricd7 Wrote:Ok, sorry to back track you all, but been at this all night. I used PwnageTool in a VM to create my custom IPSW, and then copied that back to my PC. I run iREB and am able to get my ATV2 into DFU mode (ie, the popup comes up and tells me it was successful.), but the problem is that in iTunes, the Apple TV doesn't show up while in DFU mode? I can plug it in normally and boot it and it shows up in iTunes, but as soon as I try to use iTunes while in DFU mode, there is no AppleTV listed?? I can hear my USB "noise" from windows going off, then on, then off again while doing the iREB process, and if I am watching iTunes, i see it show up and then quickly dissapear as soon as it gets to DFU mode. Am I doing something wrong here?? I *believe* i did a factory restore using iTunes early on in the process when I thought I had it in DFU mode and did a restore without selecting a custom firmware, but from reading this thread that doesn't seem to matter. What should I try?

ED7

A couple of things, is the VM off? You'll need to make sure that the VM isn't "grabbing" the device. The DFU mode has a different driver so I'd check in Device Manager to see if anything is listed. It should be listed as an Apple Mobile device.
electricd7 Wrote:Ok, sorry to back track you all, but been at this all night. I used PwnageTool in a VM to create my custom IPSW, and then copied that back to my PC. I run iREB and am able to get my ATV2 into DFU mode (ie, the popup comes up and tells me it was successful.), but the problem is that in iTunes, the Apple TV doesn't show up while in DFU mode? I can plug it in normally and boot it and it shows up in iTunes, but as soon as I try to use iTunes while in DFU mode, there is no AppleTV listed?? I can hear my USB "noise" from windows going off, then on, then off again while doing the iREB process, and if I am watching iTunes, i see it show up and then quickly dissapear as soon as it gets to DFU mode. Am I doing something wrong here?? I *believe* i did a factory restore using iTunes early on in the process when I thought I had it in DFU mode and did a restore without selecting a custom firmware, but from reading this thread that doesn't seem to matter. What should I try?

ED7

Do you have both the power cord and usb plugged in? IF so, take out the power cord until you run the command line to tether boot.
DreamweaverN Wrote:Hi Dauren

I used Seas0nPass in a VM as well to create my IPSW. I then powered off the VM and connected the Apple TV in DFU mode with iREB and restored in iTunes. iREB was what made me able to restore the custom firmware. Also I'd recommend unzipping the IPSW to grab iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu and kernelcache.release.k66 so that you can use the Windows version of tetheredboot.

Thanks It works for me Smile . But I read this after success Big Grin
Worked Great! Thanks for the guide!
DreamweaverN Wrote:A couple of things, is the VM off? You'll need to make sure that the VM isn't "grabbing" the device. The DFU mode has a different driver so I'd check in Device Manager to see if anything is listed. It should be listed as an Apple Mobile device.

OK I have the VM off. The Device Manager shows the normal "Apple Mobile USB Device". I haven't been able to get it into DFU mode again this morning. Trying some more. I do not have the main power plugged in, only the USB cable.
Success! I couldn't get it into DFU mode this morning, so I thought about what I had changed and the only thing I changed was that I completely unplugged the AppleTV from AC power. This time around I had to power the AppleTV with AC and plug in the USB, run iREB and get exploit loaded, then immediately unplug AC power (leaving USB plugged in), this left iTunes with the option to restore. I LEFT SHIFT - RESTORE and loaded the new IPSW.

Next I just need to get tetherboot to work!
For some reason, I cannot ssh into the ATV anymore with my iMac.

I enter the following into terminal:

$ssh [email protected]

and I get an error:

-bash: [email protected]: command not found

That is the correct IP of the ATV2. I used it two days ago to jailbreak and load XBMC.

Any ideas?

Please disregard - I see the error now
OK got tetheredboot to work, ssh'd into the appletv and installed XBMC. It seems to work, and I get the XBMC icon in my menu and it loads, however, when I installed XBMC I got this error in my putty session. Should I be concerned?:

Code:
Setting up gawk (3.1.6-2) ...
Setting up mobilesubstrate (0.9.3367-1) ...
Setting up beigelist (1.0-1) ...
Setting up org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock (1.0-1) ...
Found ATV2 running ios 4.2+/AppleTV
Found 4.2.1:Removing seatbelt profile key from AppleTV
Setting up org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (10.0-0) ...
No matching processes were found
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
willise Wrote:For some reason, I cannot ssh into the ATV anymore with my iMac.

I enter the following into terminal:

$ssh [email protected]

and I get an error:

-bash: [email protected]: command not found

That is the correct IP of the ATV2. I used it two days ago to jailbreak and load XBMC.

Any ideas?

Please disregard - I see the error now

Your command looks fine. Just make sure you're not putting in the $ before the ssh command:

ssh [email protected]
dazex Wrote:Your command looks fine. Just make sure you're not putting in the $ before the ssh command:

ssh [email protected]

$ is just a prompt
OK, so I get this to work the first time by using the procedure spelled out here. I had to run the following commands to get mine to load since it said a file was missing:

Code:
apt-get install wget
wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
apt-get update
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Once I get it all working, I can use XBMC like I should. I then unplug the power to be sure I can get back in incase my power goes out (it does it alot). And I do the DFU mode, tetheredboot (from PC) and it works fine, then I unplug microusb and plug in HDMI and I am sitting at a black screen. White light on the front is steady on. I have no SSH and pushing any button on the remote has no effect.

If I try and boot the box up normally without the tethered boot, it is still a black screen with a white blinking light on the device itself. What have I done wrong? I do get an error on one of the final steps of the xbmc install which is in a post a few above this one.
electricd7,
The timing is important. After the tethered boot process is completed, you want to plug in the HDMI cable before the ATV2 finish booting. By the time the white light becomes solid, it's too late to plug in the HDMI cable is what I understand.

Without the tethered boot, the ATV2 can not complete the boot process and all you see is a blank screen with blinking light. This is a good thing, as it suggest that you jailbroke the device properly. Simply try the tethered boot process again and make sure to plug in the HDMI cable shortly after the tethered boot process is completed.

I also find that waiting till the GUI is up before plugging in the network cable may possibly prevent the dreaded "no network" connection some users have reported to having. This is not conclusive without verified testing, but something to keep in mind.

-Dazex
electricd7 Wrote:OK, so I get this to work the first time by using the procedure spelled out here. I had to run the following commands to get mine to load since it said a file was missing:

Code:
apt-get install wget
wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
apt-get update
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Once I get it all working, I can use XBMC like I should. I then unplug the power to be sure I can get back in incase my power goes out (it does it alot). And I do the DFU mode, tetheredboot (from PC) and it works fine, then I unplug microusb and plug in HDMI and I am sitting at a black screen. White light on the front is steady on. I have no SSH and pushing any button on the remote has no effect.

If I try and boot the box up normally without the tethered boot, it is still a black screen with a white blinking light on the device itself. What have I done wrong? I do get an error on one of the final steps of the xbmc install which is in a post a few above this one.

You running tetheredboot in a bat file or from the command prompt?
dazex Wrote:electricd7,
The timing is important. After the tethered boot process is completed, you want to plug in the HDMI cable before the ATV2 finish booting. By the time the white light becomes solid, it's too late to plug in the HDMI cable is what I understand.

Without the tethered boot, the ATV2 can not complete the boot process and all you see is a blank screen with blinking light. This is a good thing, as it suggest that you jailbroke the device properly. Simply try the tethered boot process again and make sure to plug in the HDMI cable shortly after the tethered boot process is completed.

I also find that waiting till the GUI is up before plugging in the network cable may possibly prevent the dreaded "no network" connection some users have reported to having. This is not conclusive without verified testing, but something to keep in mind.

-Dazex

I do not believe this is true... I have plugged in hdmi a couple minutes after i tetherbooted and it still worked...
The main problem is some people running tetheredboot in a bat file, which wont error or prompt if it fails, it just closes the cmd prompt and seems like it worked...
Hoping someone can give me a little help, I've gotten all the way to using putty and logging in as root but I cant get XBMC to install.

putty 192.168.1.201 username root, pw alpine that all works.
I then pasted the code from wiki, not including the $. The first command takes, the second throws the error.

Apple-TV:~ root# echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get update
E: Type '.deb' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

I've tried using ssh on my vmware mac install but am getting the same results. any suggestions?

marksch - make sure you replace the characer directly before the deb and after the ./ with a real " mark. A copy and paste doesn't always work because of the font of your browser
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows0