• 23(current)
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows
dtviewer Wrote:I had the same problem and searched all over the net looking for an answer and never found one.
Mine finally showed up but I dont know what did it.

I do know some of the things I tried.

I hooked it to my tv and network and went to settings and did a update to make sure I had the newest software.
I tried different usb ports on the laptop i was using.
I made sure itunes was up to date.
I rebooted the laptop many times.

Keep us updated on your progress.
Yeah, I searched all over for an answer and saw nothing other than a suggestion to completely remove iTunes from my system including references to iTunes in the registry, and reinstall iTunes.

I am reluctant to do that because I don't know what happens to apps bought at the app store and music etc.

I can confirm once again that it was never hooked up to the TV via HDMI or updated through the settings menu through the TV interface, I just took it out of the box and started step one of the jailbreak.
fiddystorms Wrote:Yeah, I searched all over for an answer and saw nothing other than a suggestion to completely remove iTunes from my system including references to iTunes in the registry, and reinstall iTunes.

I am reluctant to do that because I don't know what happens to apps bought at the app store and music etc.

I can confirm once again that it was never hooked up to the TV via HDMI or updated through the settings menu through the TV interface, I just took it out of the box and started step one of the jailbreak.

Uninstalling/installing iTunes shouldn't affect your apps/music.
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jsp...D=11371304
rflores2323 Wrote:well I finally got htis to work. I followed this tutorial and had some help from badjase... and it worked. finally have it up and running again. Thanks

Sweet.
Thats the tutorial I linked to 2 pages back that got me working.
mados123 Wrote:1. I've heard of some microUSB cables only passing power & not data. I found this out when I was looking for one on Amazon. Maybe this is your case? What device are you borrowing it from or did you purchase it?

You were right it was the cable. I bought a Rocketfish cable w/ micro adaptor from Best Buy when I bought the ATV2. After reading your post, I read the box again. It was a charging cable. It was $15, so, you know it's going back to BB. Anyway, the adapter did work when I used it on another USB to Mini cable.
I hit a wall when I went to Shift Restore in itunes and load the Custom firmware. After 5 mins, I got Error 1604. Probably similiar to CASHMON3Y's 1601 error. From what I gather, this has something to do with restoring the 4.2 firmware with the jailbreak of a lower number. I used tinyumbrella, ran ituneshelper, and any other advice I could gather from this thread.
Nothing left to do but wait till some wiz puts together a tool that us simple folk can utilize.
With Teamviewer, a phone, and paypal, someone smarter than me could make a few bucks helping out us technically challenged noobs get these ATV2
set up. Just a thought.
douggoodwin Wrote:You were right it was the cable. I bought a Rocketfish cable w/ micro adaptor from Best Buy when I bought the ATV2. After reading your post, I read the box again. It was a charging cable. It was $15, so, you know it's going back to BB. Anyway, the adapter did work when I used it on another USB to Mini cable.
I hit a wall when I went to Shift Restore in itunes and load the Custom firmware. After 5 mins, I got Error 1604. Probably similiar to CASHMON3Y's 1601 error. From what I gather, this has something to do with restoring the 4.2 firmware with the jailbreak of a lower number. I used tinyumbrella, ran ituneshelper, and any other advice I could gather from this thread.
Nothing left to do but wait till some wiz puts together a tool that us simple folk can utilize.
With Teamviewer, a phone, and paypal, someone smarter than me could make a few bucks helping out us technically challenged noobs get these ATV2
set up. Just a thought.

If you are using Seas0nPass, it shows a little picture of the atv2, notice that the power cable is not shown and only the USB cable is shown. That means don't jb with the power cable attached. That's why you get the Error 1604 during itunes restore.

Seas0nPass is a tethered jb and as such is a two step, 1st you jb, then you tethered boot. When you tethered boot, then you can have power cable inserted.
davilla Wrote:If you are using Seas0nPass, it shows a little picture of the atv2, notice that the power cable is not shown and only the USB cable is shown. That means don't jb with the power cable attached. That's why you get the Error 1604 during itunes restore.

Seas0nPass is a tethered jb and as such is a two step, 1st you jb, then you tethered boot. When you tethered boot, then you can have power cable inserted.

sometimes the power cable helps.. you just need to make sure you plug power in after about 10seconds, then put it in DFU.
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
Lightbulb 
douggoodwin Wrote:I used tinyumbrella, ran ituneshelper, and any other advice I could gather from this thread.
Have you tried iReb?
http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ireb.snow
davilla Wrote:If you are using Seas0nPass, it shows a little picture of the atv2, notice that the power cable is not shown and only the USB cable is shown. That means don't jb with the power cable attached. That's why you get the Error 1604 during itunes restore.

Sounds great except I only see SeaOnPass for Mac. I didnt setup a hackintosh VM because I didn't have a snow leopard disc. I got my custom firmware from a buddy in another city that has a mac. So I am stuck with windows only solutions.
mados123 Wrote:Have you tried iReb?
http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ireb.snow

Yup. Used iReb for DFU mode. Worked great. Stuck on restoring to custom firmware. Keep getting the 1604 error.
It seems that unless you have a mac or a VM setup, options are limited and that's where I am.
Lightbulb 
douggoodwin Wrote:Yup. Used iReb for DFU mode. Worked great. Stuck on restoring to custom firmware. Keep getting the 1604 error.
Which custom firmware did you use (sorry if you said it earlier)? Maybe there is a check/hash sum that can be used on that firmware to confirm the download is intact.
mados123 Wrote:Which custom firmware did you use (sorry if you said it earlier)? Maybe there is a check/hash sum that can be used on that firmware to confirm the download is intact.

The ipsw file is titled "AppleTV2,1_4.1_Custom_Restore". I had a friend with a mac who lives in another city create it for me. We both have the latest firmware updates on our ATV2. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. He used Pwnage for creating the file. I assume there are others who used Pwnage that have successfully completed the process.
Warning notice to all, do not reference downloads to custom ipsw files. These contain Apple IP and they are not allowed to be distributed.
Lightbulb 
davilla Wrote:Warning notice to all, do not reference downloads to custom ipsw files. These contain Apple IP and they are not allowed to be distributed.
Sorry about that.

douggoodwin: the custom firmware I would try is "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore"

You can follow the instructions here: http://mobile.downloadatoz.com/tutorial/...-ipsw.html
mados123 Wrote:You can follow the instructions here: http://mobile.downloadatoz.com/tutorial/...-ipsw.html

U R my hero!
Now onto the install XBMC steps. Any good tutorials on that? I've got Putty but not sure what to do with it.

EDIT: Ok i figured out that I needed to get the atv2 ip address from the interface of the unit and type it into Putty and open the connection (assuming the default port 22 is correct). I then followed the wiki instruction and typed "ssh root@<your ATV2 IP address>" in the first command line. Then it asked me for my password. I then tried to type "alpine" but none of the keys on my keyboard would type anything. Sup wit that?
Thumbs Up 
douggoodwin Wrote:U R my hero!
Now onto the install XBMC steps. Any good tutorials on that? I've got Putty but not sure what to do with it.
Glad to hear! Maybe they can make it a sticky to use that custom firmware if people have those errors and as a possible solution?Laugh

Re: putty and XBMC install. Just follow the directions below (modified from "Install XBMC on ATV2" : XBMC's wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2)

You need to find the ip address of your APTV. You can see from your router what it was assigned with via DHCP. You can also use the excellent program "Advanced IP Scanner" to see the live connections. That is what you use in the GUI of putty. http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-IP-Sca...15592.html

Then use "root" as the login, "alpine" as the password.

then, copy and paste each line into putty's command lines (and hit enter):

apt-get install wget

wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -

echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list

apt-get update

apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

As a note, if your XBMC gets stuck after the install use "killall AppleTV" in putty SSH rather than removing power. It will save you from tether booting again.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows0