apt-get install top

shows cpu load

dd
digitaldesaster Wrote:apt-get update
apt-get install top

shows cpu load

dd

awesome... Thanks for that Smile
I was also experiencing choppy video playback and constant buffering with my HD files. However, after I enabled audio passthrough for DTS and Dolby Digital, the playback was much smoother. If you have a receiver or television which can decode the audio, you might get better performance if you can offload the audio processing from the AppleTV to your TV or audio receiver. Here was the link I used for enabling Audio Passthrough:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91729
Mine is definitely maxed out... when playing certain HD content, it hovers in the high 90s and sometimes goes up to 150% somehow

It's even around 50-60% when it's just sitting in the xbmc menu without playing anything.. is this normal?
Though standard definition video and certain 720p video barely moves it... it will still stay around 60%

BTW... will it be any smoother running optical instead of HDMI? (or vice versa)
How about killing any unnecessary processes? Would stopping airplay or airtunes free up any memory?
Are you guys playing files from smb shares on Mac or Windows?

I have a suspicion that there might be a problem with slow smb shares on Mac. I also have a couple of NTFS shared drives so this might contribute to it.

Buffering occurs for me on every file I try to play.
Evgenyy Wrote:Are you guys playing files from smb shares on Mac or Windows?

I have a suspicion that there might be a problem with slow smb shares on Mac. I also have a couple of NTFS shared drives so this might contribute to it.

Buffering occurs for me on every file I try to play.

I'm sharing from an AirportExtreme, not a Mac/Windows SMB share.
johnsea Wrote:I'm sharing from an AirportExtreme, not a Mac/Windows SMB share.

So how do you mount shared folders from AirportExtreme in XBMC? As a upnp device? Is there authentification?
I also have this problem with high bitrate 720p mkvs. I'm streaming from a time capsule (same hardware as an airport) using smb. It originally was exceedingly slow, but then I restarted the time capsule and that fixed streaming for most files. I have the problem with four movies, all 720p. The Smallest is 3GB for 2 hr film. TV shows seem to work fine.

I don't believe its the smb sharing or the network (wired) as it streams fine using XBMC on my mac. Also copying the file from the smb share estimates taking about 1 hour, for a 3 hour file. There is authentication over smb - e.g.

Quote: <source>
<name>DATA</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://workgroup:mypassword@AMERICANPSYCHOS/DATA/</path>
</source>

Happy to help debugging.
I'll try using DTS passthrough tonight. I did check my cpu usage last night and found it to be around 30% while paused or just sitting in an xbmc menu, around 60-65% while watching your average 720p mkv tv show (40 minutes, just over 1GB in size). I'll try to test some 1080p content tonight as well, forgot to do that last night.
Lightbulb 
I figured out what was causing buffering in my case. For some reason SMB shares cause bottleneck. I access folders as follows:

On mac I shared all the drives with SMB enabled.
On ATV2 I added a new SMB location with IP address of the mac and username/password of the mac admin account.
I then added folders from that newly mount SMB location.

All files stutter for me no matter what settings I use. Once I installed unofficial xbmc2pms plugin from here and access files via this plugin, there is no more stuttering. Files play smooth because they are served via http by plex media server so SMB is not used anymore.

If anyone knows how to access my folders on mac without using SMB or how to resolve my slow SMB issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Smile
Looks like an x264 encoded video..
If memory serves correct at this time everything is software rendered except for AVC/h264 which is the only thing that can utilize the hardware gpu for rendering... It is probably overtaxing the system

This will be a problem until everything is able to utilize the hardware gpu
I retested my 1080p video with a nightly build of xbmc for aTV. I know everyone keeps saying that it is an encoding issue but it plays back flawlessly now. I did not re-encode anything, just updated xbmc, works much better now.

I did notice while checking cpu usage in xbmc that it never gets below 30% of more, even just sitting at the menu screen or paused for a few hours, still around 30% usage. I also noticed that some files dropped a lot of frames (buffering is fixed though) and while I believe the files dropping frames were caused by the encoding it was odd to me that the cpu usage still didn't max out. I never saw it above 90% for more than a second or two, it was high cpu usage but it didn't look like it was 100% or close to it. Some files that were 720p (I forget the encoding right now) would drop half of their frames but still use only 70-80% of the cpu. Not sure what that is about but it's such a small number of my total videos I am not worried about it.

So just wanted to update this thread, once I updated to the latest code it looks like a winner for me on playback. Actually looks sharper than my Mac Mini running Plex but I believe that may be due to my post processing settings on the Plex box.
speedkills Wrote:I retested my 1080p video with a nightly build of xbmc for aTV. I know everyone keeps saying that it is an encoding issue but it plays back flawlessly now. I did not re-encode anything, just updated xbmc, works much better now.

I did notice while checking cpu usage in xbmc that it never gets below 30% of more, even just sitting at the menu screen or paused for a few hours, still around 30% usage. I also noticed that some files dropped a lot of frames (buffering is fixed though) and while I believe the files dropping frames were caused by the encoding it was odd to me that the cpu usage still didn't max out. I never saw it above 90% for more than a second or two, it was high cpu usage but it didn't look like it was 100% or close to it. Some files that were 720p (I forget the encoding right now) would drop half of their frames but still use only 70-80% of the cpu. Not sure what that is about but it's such a small number of my total videos I am not worried about it.

So just wanted to update this thread, once I updated to the latest code it looks like a winner for me on playback. Actually looks sharper than my Mac Mini running Plex but I believe that may be due to my post processing settings on the Plex box.

Ya they are merging it into the main dharma branch apperently... Slowly reintroducing new features and stuff (they disabled the majority of things in the initial release to create a small differential test group... less things that can possibly break means more people either are going to get the same exact error or similar, so they can fix the base code)
speedkills Wrote:I retested my 1080p video with a nightly build of xbmc for aTV. I know everyone keeps saying that it is an encoding issue but it plays back flawlessly now. I did not re-encode anything, just updated xbmc, works much better now.

What is your current setup? ATV2->PC SMB share or ATV2->Mac SMB share?
Is ATV2 wired or wireless?

1. I have a wired ATV2->PC SMB share.
2. I installed XBMC over the past weekend so do not have the nightly builds yet that you are looking into.
3. I see buffering and CPU usage peaks to 135% (not sure how) and comes back down to 90%.
4. I have the audio pass-through enabled, using HDMI only to output audio and video to and HDTV.
5. The primary issue is sporadic buffering for m2ts files (20-30 GB). My file size cut-over is 11 GB.. anything below plays smoothly (720p / 1080p / SD content). ANything over 11 GB file-size buffers constantly.

Leads me to believe that I need a faster network connection but I am already on wired Ethernet.... how do I stop the buffering on large Blu Ray files ?

Pointers appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HD Constant Buffering?0