• 7(current)
Option to auto play next video file in list (same as under music)
OK I fixed the bug I mentioned in my first post and the patch is almost ready to go.

I have two more questions though:
1. What should the context menu button be named? I called it "Play and queue" but I'm not sure if it is completely understandable. Does somebody have a better idea (remember that it should be as short as possible)?
2. Is there already a ticket in Trac for this where I can post my patch or should I create a new one?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Many Thanks Montellese,

as for

1. Your name 'Play & Queue' is good for me (and I think understandable for most users).
A shorter alternative could be 'Loop-Mode' or simply 'Play All'.

2. Hmm..I didn't see such a ticket.
Montellese Wrote:1. What should the context menu button be named? I called it "Play and queue" but I'm not sure if it is completely understandable. Does somebody have a better idea (remember that it should be as short as possible)?

I had trouble thinking of a good name for the menu addition as well. Same as you, the best I could think of is Play and Queue Next File. I will ponder some more, but I think it cannot be any more clear without being too long and wordy.
I think just 'Play All' would be sufficient.

I think that the user could then figure out that play all means play all videos from this point on.
Ok I finally found the time to put together a diff and create a new ticket on trac: Patch #10374

The diff is based on trunk and not the dharma branch.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Montellese Wrote:OK I fixed the bug I mentioned in my first post and the patch is almost ready to go.

I have two more questions though:
1. What should the context menu button be named? I called it "Play and queue" but I'm not sure if it is completely understandable. Does somebody have a better idea (remember that it should be as short as possible)?
2. Is there already a ticket in Trac for this where I can post my patch or should I create a new one?

Noticed the thread again.

I don't think "Play and queue" is a perfect term for it as to me it saids play this file and que other stuff not play onwards from this file, so what about "Play from here" as you are playing onwards from that file to the end of the directory.

I think 2 buttons should be available.

"Play" - Plays a single file. (The current play method)
'Play from here" - Play from the selected file here to the end of the directory.

You want to have both the standard "Play" button and "Play from here" because I have a single movies folder with every movie I have in it and also have folders with the series in them.

I wouldn't want to auto play the next file on my movies directory as it would play the next movie but I would want it on my series directory to play the next episode.
Actually it's "Play all" - all the files are queued, we just start playing from the current one. If repeat is enabled it'll cycle back around to the first.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Actually it's "Play all" - all the files are queued, we just start playing from the current one. If repeat is enabled it'll cycle back around to the first.

What functionality are we talking about now? My patch only adds another button to the context menu on episode level. I didn't touch anything on tv show or season level.

@Revenger: Thanks for the suggestion. I like the sound of "Play from here". Don't know if I should upload a new patch or if this could be changed by a dev IF the patch is included into SVN.
No problem on the suggestion.

Queuing all and playing from a certain file you are selected in my opinion is still "Play from here" as you are playing from that file aka 'here, this selected file'. even if you can press back, previous etc and play the previous file.

"Play all" means to que all files and play all of them from the first file no mater what file is currently selected.

This system is how most other HTPC and media apps I have used work with these play commands.
I don't think "Play from here" is very intuitive either. I would rather an option to select multiple files and then click play or add to playlist. The context menu item in this case would be 'highlight' or 'select' much like is available in the file manager.

For large folders you can just select the context menu on the folder itself and either click play or add to playlist.

That is more intuitive in my view.

Otherwise, my vote is "Play and Loop"
Nick8888 Wrote:I don't think "Play from here" is very intuitive either. I would rather an option to select multiple files and then click play or add to playlist. The context menu item in this case would be 'highlight' or 'select' much like is available in the file manager.

For large folders you can just select the context menu on the folder itself and either click play or add to playlist.

That is more intuitive in my view.

For you manual playlists would be ideal and should probably be in a separate thread as this thread is mainly about auto playing files by clicking one file and it playing onwards till you manually stop it.

I don't disagree with you as playlists and selecting of multiple files in the list is something that is worthwhile also and I use a system like that in Meedio and its great you select a couple files (highlight) by a button on the remote click play and it plays just those 2 files or how many you select and you can 'Select All' if you wanted to.

XBMC does support playlists already but I don't know about creating them in the menu.

Both features are good and should be implemented as I would use both all the time.
Rainbow 
Bump. This feature only makes sense to me, and not just for the sake of satisfying our kids.

If I'm in the middle of a Stargate SG-1 extravaganza and I had left off at, say, S02E11, I'm not going to want to either:

1) Choose 'Play' at the seasons folder then skip ahead 11 shows. I'm pressing how many buttons to accomplish what could be fully automated in a simple context menu addition?

or

2) Create a playlist before sitting down to watch 'x' number of shows. Once again, how many key presses?

Add this simple automation and be done with it!

It should be a simple function. An aptly named context menu item that would queue the entire folder (ie season) into an empty playlist and start playing from the selected item (ie episode). This way if I want to back-track from where I started I could, and after my selection is finished I wouldn't have to reach for the remote for the next to start. On top of that, it's optionable. Maybe even add the button in the media info screen as well.

I'm not a programmer, so I can't lend a hand, but I sure would if I could.
tvadakia Wrote:I'm not a programmer, so I can't lend a hand, but I sure would if I could.

I already implemented a context button doing this and have created a ticket in Trac (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10374) but it hasn't been added yet. A bit more patience and it might get into XBMC someday.
Montellese Wrote:I already implemented a context button doing this and have created a ticket in Trac (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10374) but it hasn't been added yet. A bit more patience and it might get into XBMC someday.

I appreciate the feed-back! Superb!! It'd be nice if it was implemented in the final release of Dharma. I have this feeling it probably won't... Sad

Thanks!
tvadakia Wrote:It'd be nice if it was implemented in the final release of Dharma. I have this feeling it probably won't... Sad

Dharma is in feature freeze so I'd set my bet on it not being released with Dharma.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to auto play next video file in list (same as under music)0