Boxee and Hulu have video tearing?
I have Hulu setup successfully to launch from XBMC. I am using event ghost to handle closing xbmc when hulu starts and then to switch back and load xbmc when hulu quits.

Okay so Ive noticed a very annoying problem and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what might be causing this. While watching either HULU Desktop, BOXEE or even Hulu Full screen there appears to be a sort of tear that occurs about half way down the screen, usually when they pan back and turn the camera quickly. Its like the top part of the screen is painted and before it can reach the bottom the scene changes and starts painting the top half again and just looks bad.

When I play anything in XBMC like movies they are flawless. 1080p stuff has no issues whatsoever .

My CPU during boxee and hulu is very low.

Any thoughts?

THanks guys!
Its called judder. I'm not quite sure this is the proper place to ask though since you said XBMC works great and the problem is with Hulu desktop. I could give you some tips on how to cure it in XBMC but I have no idea where to start with Hulu desktop.

Maybe ask over there.

Just make sure you don't mess with stuff that could effect XBMC or you will have more problems.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:Its called judder. I'm not quite sure this is the proper place to ask though since you said XBMC works great and the problem is with Hulu desktop. I could give you some tips on how to cure it in XBMC but I have no idea where to start with Hulu desktop.

Maybe ask over there.

Just make sure you don't mess with stuff that could effect XBMC or you will have more problems.

Thanks for the help. I figured it was more a Hulu / Boxee issue and not so much an XBMC but I figured alot of us XBMC users were also using Hulu or boxee as well and you guys are sharp so I thought someone might have run into this before.

I'll check the hulu site. Thanks!
You're seeing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing
In XBMC this can be fixed by turning on vsync, I'm sure you can do the same in boxee, I don't know about hulu.
bobo1on1 Wrote:You're seeing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing
In XBMC this can be fixed by turning on vsync, I'm sure you can do the same in boxee, I don't know about hulu.

Yes!. That is exactly it!. I will look into seeing if I can turn vsync on in Hulu and Boxee. I didn't see any options for it and I did figure out finally how to turn off Flash Player Hardware Acceleration which might have made an improvement.

THanks for the help!
B.
for what it's worth and I hope this might help somebody else but I figured it out and its to me at least the most bizarre fix.

When I built my Win7 64bit XBMC I turned off the AERO feature so that I could maximize all resources from the OS to the Apps I was running, such as Hulu, XBMC, etc.

I don't remember exactly what led me to this discovery but when I turned AERO back on, HULU and BOxee video playback was perfectly smooth. No further tearing.

I have the exact same PC that I use for my XBMC that I"m using right now and I confirmed it. I always have the AERO running on my personal machine and thought it was odd that Hulu and boxee played fine on it and at the time didn't realize the only difference was this one had AERO enabled and the XBMC PC didn't. I switched my display to Basic and opened up Hulu and played one of the shows that I noticed the most tearing and there it was. HOrrible. I switched Aero back on and replayed the same show and its smooth as glass!.

I can only assume that my video drivers are enhanced when the AERO feature is enabled and may internally included a Vsync setting or something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee and Hulu have video tearing?0