[AppleTV2] Setting the Time?
saunderez Wrote:I don't think the message "Waiting for network time" means the ATV is literally waiting to grab the time off the network/Internet. I think it's just waiting for a quiet period on the network.
You don't think it has anything to do with the changes I made earlier to the localtime settings? Seems too coincidental that this happened after my first tethered boot after changing those settings.
mados123 Wrote:You don't think it has anything to do with the changes I made earlier to the localtime settings? Seems too coincidental that this happened after my first tethered boot after changing those settings.

I ran into the same error while I was jailbreaking my ATV2. Kept waiting and waiting....nothing, just kept seeing the spinning "waiting for network time". So I re-did the tether boot and it was fine. So I think it has something to do with the tethered boot as I hadn't even touched the time settings or SSH'ed into the machine yet. My 2 cents anyway.
cd /private/var/db/timezone
rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Bucharest localtime
killall AppleTV

Still 2 hours behind the actual hour.
What can i do?
Thnx
acun Wrote:cd /private/var/db/timezone
rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Bucharest localtime
killall AppleTV

Still 2 hours behind the actual hour.
What can i do?
Thnx

This thread is like dejavu. The first time I set my time, it time ended up like 5 hour ahead, so I did the enire command again and it is now correct. So if you haven't tried it a second time... I would give it a shot.
piotr Wrote:I've set mine to Europe/Amsterdam and the time on the ATV is still one hour behind.

If you haven't fixed this yet, try using Europe/Berlin instead of Europe/Amsterdam..
This fixed it for meBig Grin
Any way to change the time with Windows only? No macs here...
tedbone Wrote:Any way to change the time with Windows only? No macs here...

Just use putty :-)
Eliah Wrote:Just use putty :-)

ah, YES! pUTTY!!! it's all coming back to me....I'm not as noob as i thought. Thanks!
maratd Wrote:You don't need to do anything. ATV2 runs an NTP client. It fetches the time from Apple. Daylight savings will be taken care of automatically.

Anyway to check that the NTP client is working correctly!?
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
valkur Wrote:Set to PST by default, this worked for me, obviously change Canada/Mountain to whatever you need.

SSH into ATV2

cd /private/var/db/timezone
rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Mountain localtime
killall AppleTV

badjase Wrote:Any Chance you could post the settings to display correct clock time for United Kingdom please??

This worked perfectly... Thanks!
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/**America/Detroit** localtime

works for eastern time
Anyone have any luck with DST in Australia ? it didn't seem to work well for me, will give it a go again tonight.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
matbor Wrote:Anyway to check that the NTP client is working correctly!?

Does the "date" command give the current NTP time?
It reports the correct timezone and time after I changed the link to my Eastern timezone.
matbor Wrote:Anyone have any luck with DST in Australia ? it didn't seem to work well for me, will give it a go again tonight.

for example Sydney, Australia

ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT+11 localtime
I've tried

usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York localtime

And my winscp disconnects.......any help would be great.........

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Setting the Time?1