[AppleTV2] Setting the Time?
Hmm ... am I missing where to set the time zone, or is it just not there? Got to say that for a few hours XBMC has been streaming 720p stuff with no buffering, no stuttering and great picture. The GUI is a bit sluggish but perhaps it's because it seems to be in windowed mode.

philip
Set to PST by default, this worked for me, obviously change Canada/Mountain to whatever you need.

SSH into ATV2

cd /private/var/db/timezone
rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Mountain localtime
killall AppleTV
valkur Wrote:Set to PST by default, this worked for me, obviously change Canada/Mountain to whatever you need.

SSH into ATV2

rm localtime
killall AppleTV

Any Chance you could post the settings to display correct clock time for United Kingdom please??
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT localtime
Thumbs Up 
valkur Wrote:Set to PST by default, this worked for me, obviously change Canada/Mountain to whatever you need.

SSH into ATV2

rm localtime
killall AppleTV

great! thanx a lot!
deano72 Wrote:ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT localtime

thanks for that
I was looking for the file for Central Time (i live in Chicago)

also (noob alert) I'm using cyberduck... am i just overwriting the "/private/var/db/timezone" file with this new file that i get from "/usr/share/zoneinfo/" ?

thanks in advance !! Big Grin
Reggie, no
and type
rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/**Canada/Mountain** localtime
killall AppleTV

where **Canada/Mountain** replace with
America/Chicago
so

this is your method....

rm localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/**America/Chicago** localtime
killall AppleTV
Whats the code for Melbourne Australia?
google is your friend ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_...time_zones
deano72 Wrote:Reggie, no
and type
rm localtime
killall AppleTV

America/Chicago
so

this is your method....

rm localtime
killall AppleTV

worked like a charm!!!

i've updated the timezone, enabled AC3 and DTS output (which also helps it run smoother) anyone got any other suggestions on how to tweak the atv2?

(i'm loving this forum)
deano72 Wrote:Reggie, no
and type
rm localtime
killall AppleTV

America/Chicago
so

this is your method....

rm localtime
killall AppleTV

So what is it that is going on here? Does the stock AppleTV software not use the time for anything? I took a look and didn't see it. So are they all just factory set to the same time zone and we are just having to manually set it in order for XBMC to use the correct time?
Cheers for the instructions, none of the apple OS stuff needs a timezone, I believe they're all set to PST as standard.
Well, I just changed the localtime symlink to GB and it's working fine for me now.

However, I'd like to challenge the comments made that the time and timezone doesn't matter. If you boot up an ATV2 with a network connection but no Internet connection and it can't ntp sync to time.apple.com it refuses to boot. The device even runs it's own ntpd to constantly stay in sync. It may not care what the local time is but it certainly cares about what time it is in PST. This leads me to believe that the time IS important to it and I'm guessing it has a lot to do with movie rentals from iTunes. Not sure how this would impact the running of the rest of the system but there could be unforeseen side effects to this...
WiteWulf Wrote:Well, I just changed the localtime symlink to GB and it's working fine for me now.

However, I'd like to challenge the comments made that the time and timezone doesn't matter. If you boot up an ATV2 with a network connection but no Internet connection and it can't ntp sync to time.apple.com it refuses to boot. The device even runs it's own ntpd to constantly stay in sync. It may not care what the local time is but it certainly cares about what time it is in PST. This leads me to believe that the time IS important to it and I'm guessing it has a lot to do with movie rentals from iTunes. Not sure how this would impact the running of the rest of the system but there could be unforeseen side effects to this...

Very good point, although I imagine rentals are 24 hours based on local machine time - but they might not be!

Maybe this should be a setting inside XBMC for the ATV2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Setting the Time?1